• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Skirts as a fashion statement

H_G

Hey,  not sure where to post this!  I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching and I’m wondering if anyone has been happy with just wearing skirts as a form of gender expression without the need to transition or fully present as female?  I do feel very much at home when fully female, but sometimes just want a little bit.  Anyone tried skirts as part of their boy mode?

Hi H_G,

You pose an interesting question.  Personally, I have never been too comfortable expressing myself by wearing a single piece of feminine attire.  I'm one who needs to go all the way to feel feminine.  That said, it's really all about what makes you comfortable, so if rocking a skirt is your thing, it has to be okay.  I actually saw a young person a couple of years ago, obviously male because the beard gave him away, wearing a really cute mini-skirt and high-heels.  He appeared to be perfectly comfortable expressing his mixed gender style. 

I personally love skirts so I say go for it if you're comfortable wearing them! I haven't been able to bring myself to wear them in public but the fact of the matter is, they're not a gendered clothing. Lots of cultures have, and do wear clothing closely resembling skirts. Skirts are awesome! Pants only really became popularized because men needed something that worked well with riding horseback a lot.

Fun fact, the word skirt and shirt both come from a word that means a piece of clothing cut from a larger garment,  the shirt being the top and the skirt being the bottom. 🤓

• 1 month later...

I am a huge fan of wearing skirts. Have only brought myself to wear them in a public a few times. But I have a whole drawer full of them. Wish it was more acceptable to wear them (and other items of feminine clothing) in public. They are so comfortable and make me feel good to have them on ...

On 10/23/2023 at 9:37 PM, EasyE said:

I am a huge fan of wearing skirts. Have only brought myself to wear them in a public a few times. But I have a whole drawer full of them. Wish it was more acceptable to wear them (and other items of feminine clothing) in public. They are so comfortable and make me feel good to have them on ...

Same! I legit own more dresses and skirts (and am more thoughtful about what I buy) than pants and shirts. I wish I could feel comfortable wearing them in public but I'm not there yet. Though nowadays I barely leave the house anyways...

I'm a huge lover of skirts...and even more of skorts. Skorts give me the feel of wearing a skirt and the extra coverage of a pair of shorts underneath. Why they've never become a gender neutral fashion trend is beyond me.

1 hour ago, April Marie said:

I'm a huge lover of skirts...and even more of skorts. Skorts give me the feel of wearing a skirt and the extra coverage of a pair of shorts underneath. Why they've never become a gender neutral fashion trend is beyond me.

I'm dumb but I've never heard that term before. What is a skort? 🤔

29 minutes ago, Avra said:

I'm dumb but I've never heard that term before. What is a skort? 🤔

A skirt with a sewn-in short, or a short with a sown-on skirt. ;)

20 hours ago, MaeBe said:

A skirt with a sewn-in short, or a short with a sown-on skirt. ;)

Oh cool! I like that. I can see the extra privacy being nice.

I had to go all in. I have already changed utilities, cards, bank, car titles, insurance, VA, drivers license, social security and just have birth certificate left to do. I won't be able to change my discharge paperwork from the military unfortunately so I guess there will always be evidence of me and my high school diploma. 

Back to the title.....

A good friend of mine has no intention of transitioning, and is quite content in being male. That being said, he wears denim skirts, earrings, and blouses. 

The blouses because he has gynecomastia (breasts), and women's clothes just fit better. The rest of the outfit, just because 'that's how he feels'. 

Again, he has no intention of transitioning. 

15 hours ago, Avra said:

Oh cool! I like that. I can see the extra privacy being nice.

Thay are so comfortable and give you freedom of movement without the fear of giving an unintentional Sharon Stone "Basic Instinct" moment. 🙂

Aside from the skort conversation, I've lately been completely enamored with a couple of skirts I've seen in advertisements lately. I have never worn a skirt and I don't think I have the courage to wear one out, but there's just something quietly nudging my wallet out. 🤩

skirt1.jpg

Skirt2.jpg

I haven’t worn a skirt Out yet, but I really want to.  My big issue is what shoes to wear.  I can’t walk well in pumps … but I guess for a casual mid-length skirt I have seen casual sneakers as an option.
maybe soon … ?:thinking:

I dared myself to wear a skirt in public a couple of times. I had an appointment at a hospital about 30 minutes from where I live. I changed in the bathroom before I left and walked to the parking garage maybe a quarter of a mile away. 

All I could think was, "why am I bringing all this trouble on myself"? It's sad really. It's just a piece of clothing. In some cases, my skirts are longer than my guy shorts. But there is so much tied up in what we wear and the perceptions people have, etc. 

5 hours ago, KayC said:

I haven’t worn a skirt Out yet, but I really want to.  My big issue is what shoes to wear.  I can’t walk well in pumps … but I guess for a casual mid-length skirt I have seen casual sneakers as an option.
maybe soon … ?:thinking:

I have several pairs of fairly inexpensive flats that go well with my skirts as well as these Espadrille wedge sandals that are very comfortable to walk in. For cooler weather I have ankle and knee-length boots.

1448946387_EspadrilleWedgeSandals.thumb.jpg.5537c21ecc82aafc6abe851d30c12aed.jpg

8 hours ago, April Marie said:

I have several pairs of fairly inexpensive flats that go well with my skirts

Loafers or mary janes would pair well, too.

• 2 months later...

Though I haven't yet, I definitely think skirts are incredibly sexy and comfortable, and would one hundred try just wearing a skirt but not trying to look super feminine.

I love skirts and wear them (or dresses) often. As someone with a high level administrative job, I often look the part by wearing a skirt suit for the office like the one I am wearing here. While it took a bit for me to get there, I am very comfortable dressing this way. There is something undeniably feminine about them, and it is very affirming for me to feel this way. Plus it makes it that much harder to misgender someone. No one ever does when I wear one! Your style is uniquely yours to express yourself just as an artist would with a blank canvas and a palette of paints!

Love,

~Audrey.

Audrey_07.14.2023.jpg

I'm a bit kilt crazy. I can totally see these as a gateway to the world of skirts and beyond.

This one from Scottishkiltshop.com is on my shortlist, and you can pick your own tartan pattern. The image is from https://scottishkiltshop.com/products/denim-tartan-hybrid-pant-kilt?tartan=Ailsa Pink Tartan

image.thumb.png.d8855f6d9fb40404e50efb4f7f549077.png

Verillas.com has a lot of non-traditional kilt designs with a renaissance flair and plenty of items designed by and for gender non-conforming people.

I only have one - a beginner's kilt (the Greenhorn) from Damnnearkiltem.com - here's me wearing it on a morning beach walk:

IMG_6927.thumb.jpeg.80edf20c01df8567c2cd0717556bb161.jpeg

I was super nervous to wear it in public. First time in a supermarket I saw a guy look at me and overheard him tell his girlfriend, "Oh cool! A kilt!" That made me feel better.

I dunno - maybe these are like baby steps or training wheels - but really - it is a pleated skirt - especially as they depart from traditional kilt designs. And they are soooo comfortable and fun to swish!

And it also is something that my wife can almost bring herself to accept me wearing. (Sigh)

-Timi

I love wearing skirts or dresses. They just make me feel good about myself. Tonight it was a sweater dress, tights and knee high boots. Heavenly.

I remember the first time I tried on a skirt - it was a pleated denim skirt that I found on a clearance rack for $5. (Not sure what possessed me that night to go look for skirts, but there it was) ... The feeling when I put it on, shazam ... like all was right with the world... my world anyway...

I now have about 20 skirts and a few skorts (also bonanza to wear!) ... alas it's just me, myself and I who see me wear them at this point ... 

5 hours ago, EasyE said:

... and a few skorts (also bonanza to wear!) 

Yes!!! Skorts!!! I love to wear a skort!! I have more skorts than I do shorts for warm weather wear.

Society is so screwed up not to accept them for wear by both men and women. 

5 hours ago, April Marie said:

Society is so screwed up not to accept them for wear by both men and women. 

So true. However, I think individual attitudes in certain places are becoming more liberal, which will hopefully have an effect on society accepting any clothing as acceptable for any gender to wear.