• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Woman Pleads Guilty For Bomb Threat Against Hospital Treating Trans Youth

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Contrary to much seeming belief today, bomb and other violent threats are NOT protected by any part of the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment.  Threats of that nature are Criminal and/or Civil Assault when they give a person the belief that the harms is imminent and something the suspect can do.  Back in the 1960's I read a publication called the Anarchist's Cookbook just for interest, and even I could be a threat with that information and possession of the materials or the suspicion I had them. The information is readily out there which makes the charges easier to stick against those making the threats.   At my work before I retired we have several bomb threats and I was the one who had to check them out.  Nerve wracking at the least.

I believe that any and all speech is protected by the Constitution.  However, in rare cases such as this, I think a statement that directly leads to a lot of resources expended and time wasted can be met with appropriate sanctions.

Rather than prison (which costs taxpayer money), I would prefer that somebody who makes stupid threats get to pay the tab for all the resources wasted that day.  Calculate out all the hospital time that could have been used for good purposes, the pay for the day for the officers who responded, the fuel for the response vehicles, etc...  Put it all in one big bill that she can work off.

Aside from the punishment part, that lady has got to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket.  To make a call like that on a phone in your name from within your home....how can anybody have the illusion these days that something like that wasn't traceable?  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Thankfully, somebody like that would have been too dumb to make a bomb that worked. 

• Admin
3 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

Thankfully, somebody like that would have been too dumb to make a bomb that worked. 

Having been in the "catching bad guys" business for two decades, I can assure you that many very bad and dangerous people were also very dumb; dumb enough to want to commit the crime, and dumb enough to get caught.  Assuming a criminal is too dumb to "do the deed" is an assumption neither I, nor any former colleague, would ever make.

Carolyn Marie