• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hello from San Diego, California and Cleveland, Ohio!

Timi

Hi! My name is Timi - a name that was affectionately given to me by a boss some 25 years ago, and one that I’ve now decided on my preferred spelling and claimed as my own. Way back then, 25 years ago, the word transgender was not in my vocabulary. But I knew I had a secret that I wouldn’t share with anyone. I would barely admit it to myself. But I remember grasping for words that would describe me, and laughing at the only descriptor I could think of - that I was a male lesbian. But it turns out that femininity can’t be completely hidden. I was perceived by others as being a gentle man. Thus the affectionate nickname “Timmy” among many other things.

Fast forward to this year - I turned 64 this year, and next year I celebrate 30 years of marriage, and we don’t have children.

A major tipping point came last August. I was in a sentimental mood and for the first time in more than 40 years, I reached out to my high school girlfriend on Facebook. We connected, and I saw that she posted this poem:

https://wordsfortheyear.com/2016/10/07/it-is-not-your-job-by-caitlyn-siehl-repost/

That’s when I cracked. She was always authentic back in high school, clothed in flannel shirts, boxy boyish jeans, and sneakers. I told her that I, who did not know it back then, have slowly come to realize that my soul and spirit is probably best described in a single word as “feminine” and that I was so grateful for her inspiration and example, and that she gave me courage to be true to my nature.

Over the course of the next couple of months, I came to understand that that message was the beginning of my transition and coming out.

Right now I’m in Cleveland, visiting in-laws until after the new year. We drove out from San Diego, and on the trip circumstances were such that I fully came out to my wife (she noticed that I had shaved my legs and arms - something done rather impulsively and in desperation after just really feeling grossed out looking at that fur one week). I had previously talked with her about what the word Transgender meant, and that it described me pretty well. She’s not fond of the word, and she did not appreciate the depth of my lifelong yearning to be a woman, so I gave her my full resume, going back to 4 years old, and including things that I wouldn’t share with anyone else, except a therapist.

We’re doing good, trying our best to nourish our love for each other and our relationship.

However, in Cleveland, I am not out. Nobody knows Timi here. So finding Transgender Pulse is a Godsend. I am so grateful for the loving and supportive environment that you all so carefully have created.

Thank you,

-Timi

Welcome Timi

58 minutes ago, Timi Shiels said:

But I knew I had a secret that I wouldn’t share with anyone. I would barely admit it to myself.

I could have written this myself.  I think a lot of us could.  It doesn't really go away.

1 hour ago, Ivy said:

I could have written this myself.  I think a lot of us could.  It doesn't really go away.

Thank you for the welcome, Ivy! I just recently appreciated how that secret affected my life. About 20 years ago, upon the encouragement of a lot of people, I entered the discernment process for ordination as a deacon in the Episcopal Church. I rather quickly exited the process. When I learned that there would be psychological examinations as part of the process, I pretty much had an anxiety attack. Back then, I had no idea why. I just knew that if given the choice, I would choose an unsedated colonoscopy over a psychological evaluation. Now I know why I felt that way. After all, I only had one Big Secret. And I sure didn't want to be potentially subjected to judgement over it. 

Welcome to the forums, Timi!! You'll find many of us here who began the journey to becoming our true selves late in life. I'm a few years older than you and about a year into defining what transition will look like for me. Like you, I've been married for many years and am blessed to have her love throughout.

I couldn't tell from your post if you were working with a gender therapist. For me, finding the right therapist has been a Godsend.

Jump in where you feel comfortable!! I look forward to getting to know you here.

Hi Timi,

The poem was definitely well written, and I definitely agree with Ivy that it could be written by the majority of us. It's neat that our journeys are both the same and different at the same time. I'm glad you have someone. I'm following advice that I was given. I need to find myself first before diving into another relationship. They have all failed because I was expecting them to bring me happiness. I have and am still learning a lot about terminology and more about myself.

15 hours ago, Timi Shiels said:

I only had one Big Secret

Hi Timi, and Welcome to the Forum.  I loved the poem..  Thank you for including that 🙏

I connected with many parts of your story (and we are in a similar age group) ... 3+ years ago I found this Forum and finally found the words to describe myself, and the supportive community I had been looking for.  This year I started HRT.

I think you are in the right place (literally and figuratively).  Deep breaths ... one step at a time.

15 hours ago, April Marie said:

I couldn't tell from your post if you were working with a gender therapist. For me, finding the right therapist has been a Godsend.

Thank you @April Mariefor the warm welcome - and thank you @Ashley0616 and @KayC as well!

Shortly before we left San Diego to Cleveland for our long visit, I found myself sitting at my desk typing the words "San Diego transgender therapist" into Google and looking through the listings that came up from Psychology Today. When I came across the listing for one therapist who specializes in transgender, relationship issues, and coping skills, and who is also transgender, I started sobbing and crying. In a good way. Just the realization that this is real, and really happening, was overwhelming. My plan is to make contact and start therapy in January when we get back to San Diego. 

1 hour ago, Timi Shiels said:

My plan is to make contact and start therapy in January when we get back to San Diego. 

Sounds like a plan

• Forum Moderator

Hi Timi,

Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here.

Lots of love and a big welcome hug,

Timber Wolf 🐾

• Forum Moderator

@Timi Shiels I see you've met just some of the incredible people here. I'm glad you are here and I hope your hope is raised because of us.

Hugs,

Heather

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 277 Guests (See full list)

• Abigail Genevieve
    • MaeBe
    • Carolyn Marie
    • KathyLauren
    • Thea
    • Ashley0616
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MossycupMolly
    Newest Member
    MossycupMolly

1. Carli05
      Carli05
    2. CharlotteD89
      CharlotteD89
      (35 years old)
    3. JamieL
      JamieL
    4. Jenny
      Jenny
      (71 years old)
    5. Katek
      Katek
    • MaeBe
    • MaeBe
      First off, you can't regret being honest. You may not be changing the relationship, but it sounds like it still exists!   As for meeting people, what about through the volunteering you're doing? Maybe you can do more of that and meet people. Let some relationships grow and if they blossom into something more than friendship, great! If not, you've got more friends!
    • LittleSam
      Hi Giz, welcome. There's so many different ways to be trans and you're so welcome here. I wish you luck in achieving your goal of being more androgynous. There's forums in here that might suit you and your goals. I look forward to hearing more from you. I go by he/they pronouns at the mo.
    • Lydia_R
      Hello @JenniferB!  Was kind of in the same boat with this.  I spent massive amounts of energy over several decades to try to control my drinking and drug use.  Because I'm highly disciplined, I was ultimately successful.  I felt I could have gone on with controlled drinking for the rest of my life without problems, but it got to the point where I realized that it wasn't worth all the energy I was putting into it.  At that point I found surrender.  I got a sponsor, attended almost daily meetings for a year, worked the steps to the best of my ability, tried my best to socialize with people even though I am an introvert, I made a mess for myself at the meetings and felt a little rejected.  And then I continued on doing a little service work.   After a few months away from it, I'm in a good spot.  I accidentally ate one of my roommates edibles a couple months ago.  I have only smoked a half ounce of weed in the last 20 years.  After it kicked in, I realized that it was a marijuana high.  Then I noticed something miraculous.  I just told myself that there is nothing I can do about it and then got on with the business of the evening like I normally would.  It was like the high just ended right then and there.   Controlled drinking like I was doing was just very risky behavior and not worth the effort for me.  In any case, I'm very happy that I spent my life fighting it all instead of just giving into it.  I think that whatever you put into something, you eventually get back out.   Meetings are cool.  People generally get equal time to share.  Seeing people who are struggling reminds me of the way I was and why I want to remain sober.  And by being there, I have the potential of helping someone else.  The stuff I don't identify with I just do my best to not let bother me.  And if it gets bad there, I don't have to go back.  I can find another meeting or even just read the literature.  The literature helped me a lot.
    • Ladypcnj
      Happiness to me is when I reached a turning point in my life, that I stop worrying what others think about me, and start living my life. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      Very, very true.  The number of murders committed by strangers in 2022 was only about 10 percent, per the FBI.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      Courageous film maker, and amazing subjects.  That is an incredible journey to make in so many ways.  Thanks for sharing the link, @Davie.   Carolyn Marie
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon everyone,   I often wondered why @April Marie and @Willowgot up so early in spite of being retired. Now that I have my own puppy as a house pet I get it. We haven't had dogs since before my oldest granddaughter was born 22 years ago this September. I've always had working hunting dogs, and it was important they became acclimated to the current weather conditions. While the kennels had large outdoor runways, they also had pet passes into the somewhat temperature controlled garage. Yes, they were allowed in the house but only for short periods of time. Fast forward to present time, and I'm potty training a puppy as well as crate training. The first night Parker Von Schwinegruber, slept from 10:30 until 05:30. Last night we went to bed and 10:30 and he started making noise at 05:00. Since I don't want to test his ability to hold his business, we got up and went outside. He took care of business and we went back to sleep. This time he had a dental chew bar and I filled his water bowl. We cat napped until 08:00 and then got up for the day taking him immediately outside. He took care of business, and we played fetch and tug of war with his now favorite puffball. We came in and I put him back in the crate positioned so he could see me cook breakfast. Did he NO HE WENT TO SLEEP! We ate breakfast, did the dishes, and finished off the pot of coffee I brewed at 08:00. Once he woke up we stared at one another for about 20 minutes, because he seemed content to be in the crate. I got up and we worked on some obedience training as well as getting into and out of the crate with permission. We don't want him to crash the gate or any doors we will be going through.   Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋  
    • VickySGV
      I have not heard about it here in California, but then again we have events of various sorts going on very often, and not just in the June Pride Month.  We have Trans Fashion Week going on at a hotel complex over in West Los Angeles for the next three nights featuring shows by Trans fashion designers and modeled by Trans and NB people on the runways there.  I missed a chance for some free tickets and while I know and love many of the participants I do not want to pay for the tickets which will be in the $50 to $75 range, and which at those prices are nearly sold out.  (Not to mention $25 valet parking each night at the venue complex.).  There will be actual high end fashion buyers there though and it is an area where we are gaining some good footing.  I also admit that NONE of the fashions are going to be anything at all that would fit my basic personal style but look fine if not crazy on my much younger Trans siblings who will model them. (Ok everyone else keep on @Mirrabooka's topic.)
    • Ivy
      TBH, Never heard of it.
    • Mmindy
      Welcome to TransPulseForums @gizgizgizzie    I hope you find this place as helpful as I do. I’m also in a slow transition living in the androgynous world. I’m out to my grown children and my extended family with mixed support from them. Some have cut me out of their lives and others want me to be their flamboyant family member.    Best wishes, stay positive and motivated    Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Davie
      To escape Gaza is already an achievement. And then to be trans?’: the women defying national and gender boundaries. https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/16/yolande-zauberman-documentary-the-belle-from-gaza-cannes-film-festival
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Accidents happen.  So do heat-of-the-moment murders, without premeditation or trans-related hate.  It will take a trial to really figure it out.     One thing we can see from this is that it is people in our circles of acquaintances, friends, and partners who are the ones who usually hurt us.  Not someone random. We have to be careful who we trust.
    • ClaireBloom
      You look so cute in that pic Ashley!  
    • Birdie
      A bit of bra humour...
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.