• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

FL Fines School, Punishes Staff For Letting Trans Girl Play Boys Volleyball

Carolyn Marie

"The association also barred the girl from participating in boys sports for 11 months ..."

So! this Transgirl cannot play on the Girls team OR the Boys team?  What the ...? 🤔  Where is she supposed to play?  or is this just basically punishment for being Trans, period?

2 hours ago, KayC said:

is this just basically punishment for being Trans, period?

Seems like it.

Like Carolyn Marie pointed out, the girl is in the 10th grade, and has been on Estrogen since she was 11.  She never went through male puberty.  How the heck does she have some kind of male advantage?

But it's not really about that, is it.

What happened in Florida with this little girl is shameful. This girl was transitioning the way she should have, and physically, she had no advantage whatsoever. This galls me to no end. Throw in the fact that the school officials were doing the right thing by letting play on the team with kids that she has likely known through her formative years, is just awful. This type of lunacy has to end. There are huge differences between a child who has never started a male puberty, and one who transitions after a male puberty. This distinction is lost. 

So, I'm just wondering exactly what is wrong with Floridians' brains from a neurological perspective?

Is there something in the water? Does the Florida heat and humidity just melt their brains, or something? Like what is the biological underpinning for their stupidity?

Maybe there are higher than normal levels of lead poisoned people in Florida? I know a lot of Floridians transplants come from other states where the infrastructure has outdated lead plumbing. After all, the reduction in violent crimes and the reduction in the use of leaded gasoline over time have been correlated, as well as lead exposure reducing IQ.

2 hours ago, emeraldmountain2 said:

So, I'm just wondering exactly what is wrong with Floridians' brains from a neurological perspective?

Is there something in the water? Does the Florida heat and humidity just melt their brains, or something? Like what is the biological underpinning for their stupidity?

Maybe there are higher than normal levels of lead poisoned people in Florida? I know a lot of Floridians transplants come from other states where the infrastructure has outdated lead plumbing. After all, the reduction in violent crimes and the reduction in the use of leaded gasoline over time have been correlated, as well as lead exposure reducing IQ.

Please don't blame Floridians. Not all of us voted for the current governor. And that governor is the one loading school boards with his cronies. In fact he led a charge to dismiss school board members in the county in which this high school is located & replaced them with hand picked replacements. And the oppressive laws being introduced to Florida education are not voted on by the public. That governor is also the one who illegally pushed through a gerrymandered voting district map which disempowered Black voters, and also spent taxpayer money harassing reformed convicts, to whom Floridians voted to restore voting rights, and others for voter fraud. The list goes on. There's a lot of corruption and ignorance in government here, for sure. But there's also some of the largest LGBTQIA+ communities in the country here and many small and large organizations that do much good. So, please don't h8 on Floridians. If you pray, pray for us. 

Yes, I definitely do not blame all Floridians and of course there are brilliant Floridians. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

I do, however, blame the bigoted and dangerous Floridian politicians, leaders, organizations, and everyday people who have unleashed legalized hate and stupidity in Florida, and who also want to bring that hate nationwide.

There are very disturbing and dangerous trends in Florida, not just regarding LGBTQ+ people, done by Floridians to Floridians and non-Floridians that does not happen in other states to the extent it does in Florida. After all, Equality Florida and the NAACP released travel advisories warning LGBTQ+, Black, and people of color away from Florida.

25 minutes ago, emeraldmountain2 said:

Yes, I definitely do not blame all Floridians and of course there are brilliant Floridians. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

No worries. I assumed your comment was heated by righteous indignation, but I also wanted to preempt any misinterpretation by anyone else as an invitation to generalize. 

I do, however, blame the bigoted and dangerous Floridian politicians, leaders, organizations, and everyday people who have unleashed legalized hate and stupidity in Florida, and who also want to bring that hate nationwide.

It is a terrifying notion and tbh my mental health has been affected by being so close to it as a resident of Florida.

Equality Florida and the NAACP released travel advisories warning LGBTQ+, Black, and people of color away from Florida.

Indeed, it is unprecedented. Thank goodness for these organizations and the work they do.

4 minutes ago, Vidanjali said:

No worries. I assumed your comment was heated by righteous indignation, but I also wanted to preempt any misinterpretation by anyone else as an invitation to generalize. 

Thank you and thank you for calling that out.

5 minutes ago, Vidanjali said:

It is a terrifying notion and tbh my mental health has been affected by being so close to it as a resident of Florida.

I'm really, really sorry that you're in the middle of all of this in Florida and that it's affecting your mental health. It's so awful and unfair. I make sure to donate to Equality Florida, even though I am out of state. I hope my support helps in what little way it may be.

12 minutes ago, emeraldmountain2 said:

I make sure to donate to Equality Florida, even though I am out of state. I hope my support helps in what little way it may be.

That's awesome. Thank you for doing that.

I am amazed that the governor of Florida is so powerful.  Here in NC the governor can't do much.  He is constantly losing powers to the legislature.

I think that part of it with Governor Cooper is that he is fighting a state house that has a Republican majority. It is hard to navigate the waters when they are unfriendly. I am surprised that Cooper has been able to prevent even more things going bad transgender residents in NC.

It seems like athletics is where this battle is happening the most.  At this point, I'd say remove athletics from school...it would take it out from under the thumb of the Department of Education (at least until the Feds and the states can be done having Departments of Education).  Have some other organization kids can go to for sports, somewhere the government can't mess things up.  Sports is important for kids - but it isn't necessarily the domain of schools.  If we can't fix government, then sidestep it.