• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is this the best time to be trans, or the worst?

Audrey

Hi all, I have been mulling over this question in my mind and perhaps you are too. I posted the topic in politics because I feel this will inevitably come into the discussion. Personally, I feel that there has never been a better time to be trans than today. I cannot imagine taking the same path in the 1990's that I have taken since 2020. Many people have blazed the trail ahead for our community in the past, facing barriers and hardships to their journeys that I have not had to face because of their perseverance and advocacy. Real steps have been taken to make access to HRT easier (informed consent model), a destigmatization of trans and enby identities and expression, removal of legal barriers to being recognized, and more. I appreciate that much of this relates to living in NY, and NYC in particular. That said, I know we are all concerned about the rhetoric against us, most especially the youngest and most vulnerable, that threatens to send things back to the past or worse. I strive not to be alarmist or reactionary, or to succumb to fear and panic, or suffer from outrage fatigue from the proposals and attitudes that have emerged. I take comfort in knowing that there are voices on our side who would speak up and fight for us, which might never have happened without the greater consciousness around our community,

How do you all feel?

Love,

~Audrey.

• Admin

Looking at the library of science research in all fields that I have on one of my external disk drives (Over 120 papers from legitimate research organizations who actually use Trans researchers at the Graduate to Post Doctoral levels) and having access to my own "interesting" medical history, I am going to join the side of those seeing good and helpful information that we currently have, and I look forward each day to seeing new discoveries, such as the recent papers on DNA examination of ancient ancestors of present humans who actually had genetic issues that are being found in some forms of intersexuality that we experience today. Even the recent research that is pointing toward Homo Sapiens and Homo Neanderthatlis really being the same species of humans is leveling the field of current hubris of some people.  There are even studies in the works that are showing that even LG&B behaviors are genetic/epigenetic and are associated to certain behaviors that are highly beneficial to overall human survival, contrary to the claims of eugenicists  and theologians, well in keeping with Darwinian theories.  Of course too are the improvements in actual medical treatments, physically, surgically, pharmacologically and in Behavioral counseling as well.  It is this growing store of knowledge that is challenging a group of humans who rely on old and highly simple binary beliefs for their comfort and protection from from the uncertainties that are coming our way.  The fact that we are excited about these changes frightens them to a point where they must hole-up in ancient mythology, even though that mythology actually invited the forward movement of knowledge and care for the world and fellow humans.  I am excited for that but  know I am old enough that I will not see a perfect end to today's problems, but we keep learning even people we thought had little in the past, really had much more than we have believed until now.

I think it really is the best time for us in so many ways and it will keep getting better in spite of those who fear it just now.

Kinda feel like the best time was a few years ago right before the Republicans here and other political groups elsewhere decided to go big on banning us. 

• Forum Moderator

Well, it's not like we have a choice in whether or not to be trans.  So it's not like we could pick a time to "do it".

However, we seem to be here in a brief window between the shame of the past and the hatred of the future.  In this window, much research and understanding of transgender issues has been accomplished.  So that makes this a pretty good time to be trans.

My egg would never have cracked had it not been for others who felt safe enough to be out.   That they felt that way was a sign of the times.  I made the most of it, and there is no un-cracking that egg now.

What great topic responses these are. Thanks @KathyLaurenand @VickySGVand @AudreyIt's good to see a whole balance of things and I believe like ML King said that the arc of history bends towards justice. Keep bringing the light. —Davie

Thanks all, thoughtful answers indeed!

Re: "going big on banning us"... the thing about banning something is, it really does not work, especially on a large scale. Banning alcohol during prohibition did not work, banning books does not stop people from reading them, and so forth. It especially cannot work with something one has no choice over, like being trans. I cannot imagine a single person in whole community who would just accept being "banned" and be okay with that. I know I would not!

Re: "the window"... this is an interesting one. I feel like the hatred that we see ahead is an especially vocal but small minority, which has been given an audience, and that some may manipulate for political gain regardless of the impact on the trans community or even their real beliefs about it. I cannot imagine even Trump caring all that much, he is basically obsessed with his own self-aggrandizement and thwarting legal actions against him to have time or energy for much else.

Re: research... this is all very encouraging but I wonder if it may become a target of banning attempts, much like research into gun violence by the CDC. I agree that there is a tendency to fear what is new and unknown, and a false sense of security in clinging to familiar beliefs. History seems to suggest that science prevails in the long run.

Love,

~Audrey.

• Forum Moderator
13 hours ago, Audrey said:

I take comfort in knowing that there are voices on our side who would speak up and fight for us, which might never have happened without the greater consciousness around our community,

How do you all feel?

This is a great question @Audrey

I'm grateful for those who have responded so far. Medically, I believe we're in the best of times. Politically, I feel like the walls are closing in on us. For the most part, I feel like the general population supports our rights to exist, with the haters being out numbered, but making the most noise. 

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

The hope that we have is that the right side will finally see that we are getting bullied as a minority, but I don't think they would honestly care about that. I think that things are going to get a lot worse before they start to look better again. I know who I'll vote for so at least it's one vote in our benefits. Unfortunately I see the right wing extremist as bad as cockroaches. When one is down more will come.

@Ashley0616 I would agree about the bullying but a major part of the problem is that the lead mascot for the bullies is also a bully himself, and has basically given them all license to say and do whatever they want with impunity. I suppose it makes them feel powerful, important, or even just like a game. It feels like the dying gasp of White cis/straight male privilege that has dominated since time immemorial. I believe they are deeply afraid of losing that privilege and are acting accordingly to keep it in place, no matter what the consequences are.

Love,

~Audrey.

17 minutes ago, Audrey said:

@Ashley0616 I would agree about the bullying but a major part of the problem is that the lead mascot for the bullies is also a bully himself, and has basically given them all license to say and do whatever they want with impunity. I suppose it makes them feel powerful, important, or even just like a game. It feels like the dying gasp of White cis/straight male privilege that has dominated since time immemorial. I believe they are deeply afraid of losing that privilege and are acting accordingly to keep it in place, no matter what the consequences are.

Love,

~Audrey.

All I got to say is I dare them to hit me. They'll be knocked the hell out or spiting up blood. 

4 minutes ago, Ashley0616 said:

All I got to say is I dare them to hit me. They'll be knocked the hell out or spiting up blood. 

I believe that even in Mississippi or other states without gender identity specific laws, you are protected under the Federal law for hate crimes by the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009. So if someone does assault you, not only would you be acting in self-defense, the crime against you would carry hate crime weight.

Love,

~Audrey.

Just now, Audrey said:

I believe that even in Mississippi or other states without gender identity specific laws, you are protected under the Federal law for hate crimes by the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009. So if someone does assault you, not only would you be acting in self-defense, the crime against you would carry hate crime weight.

Love,

~Audrey.

I just learned something. Mississippi doesn't have any laws for hate crimes on LGBTQ but there is the Federal laws that would make it illegal. I also just found out that I won't be able to marry a man if I wanted to. There is a law that states it has to be a man and a woman gender at birth. Unless I could work around that because my documents say that I'm a female.

• Forum Moderator

I think we are in amazingly good times having grown up in a time when wearing a skirt was a crime across the country.   Today i am proudly and openly living my life as myself as is my right as a citizen of this country.

37 minutes ago, Ashley0616 said:

There is a law that states it has to be a man and a woman gender at birth.

The supreme court has found gay marriage legal and while Mississippi may not like it that's the law.  They had laws against blacks going to most schools but ,though sometimes circumvented by vouchers, those schools are integrated.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 205 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • Ashley0616
    • AmandaJoy
    • Ivy
    • Maddee
    • Birdie