• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender Identity is Still a Civil Right In Iowa, As Bill is Killed

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I agree, any victory is a good one.  But they are so few and far between.

Iowa is actually a nice state, and I even considered moving there, but until they get out of the "all that is transgender is bad" mode with their Republican legislature, I am staying clear. I just wonder if they will target the legislators who blocked the bill from advancing. Somehow, I do not think the Rs will take this defeat well. I hope I am wrong.

29 minutes ago, KatieSC said:

I just wonder if they will target the legislators who blocked the bill from advancing.

Wouldn't surprise me.  There is not much tolerance for not following the party line however absurd.

• 2 months later...

Good news about Iowa!

"Iowa Attacks On Trans And LGBTQ+ People Fail: 20 Bills Die As Legislature Adjourns

Iowa becomes the latest state to adjourn Sine Die without passing a single piece of explicitly anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. The only bill to pass was a broad religious freedom bill."

ERIN REED  April 22.

• Admin

I am actually a little  more  positive on the subject here.  These came to the legislators as "sure fire, you will have no opposition" to them which has not been true, and had resulted in Trans people becoming more visible in authentic ways. The bills have taken significant time in the public eye which was not anticipated, and the public is now looking and seeing that things really in public interest, and Best Use of public monies are not happening.  "We have a serious problem with some state roads and highway bridges here and you are spending that money on whether some brat gets to play basketball or go swimming, no ballot mark for you buster!!"   The turkeys  are being caught roosting when the legislators should  be herding the cash cows over to where they are really needed.

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, VickySGV said:

The turkeys  are being caught roosting when the legislators should  be herding the cash cows over to where they are really needed.

Well said, and I agree @VickySGV

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

Yet another failed attempt. Glad to know that we are more important than education or health care to them.

18 minutes ago, Ashley0616 said:

we are more important than education or health care to them

Kinda flattering in a twisted way.

39 minutes ago, Ivy said:

Kinda flattering in a twisted way.

Yes it is.

Great news!  We ARE starting to receive more public support and visibility in opposition to these types of horrendous and wasteful bills.