• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sport's Illustrated Exec Pulls Story On Trans Boxer From Print Edition

Carolyn Marie

Sports Illustrated has essentially been done in.  I heard they recently laid off the entire staff.  I think some hedge fund is running it now.

Perhaps they'll post some Taylor Swift pix.

SI has had a couple of trans girls in their swimsuit editions in recent years, and it wasn't well-received.  Perhaps this decision was made because of that.

However, the decline in sales matches the general decline of print magazines. It's a dying form of media.  My GF used to have subscriptions to several car magazines.  CarCraft died a few years ago, along with a couple of others I don't remember. Hot Rod has been monthly for decades, and is now quarterly...likely to be discontinued in a couple more years.  Publications that still exist in print form now  have less content than the online versions.

• Admin

As long as they don't cancel National Geo I'll be OK.

Carolyn Marie

I'm sure it has to do with my age and the era I grew up in, but I have always preferred the tactile experience a print magazine provides.  I have a couple of digital subscriptions because they are a lot cheaper, but often, I don't even look at them because they don't bring the same satisfaction print did.  It's hard to fault the media producers when digital magazine are so much cheaper to produce.  

On 2/2/2024 at 4:47 PM, VickySGV said:

Paywall

Vicky, here is another link that describes the SI story.  No paywall on this one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-13038407/Executive-Sports-Illustrateds-publisher-pulled-story-transgender-boxing-Marchs-magazine-latest-controversy-crisis-hit-publication.html

16 hours ago, Sally Stone said:

I'm sure it has to do with my age and the era I grew up in, but I have always preferred the tactile experience a print magazine provides. 

I'm with you @Sally Stone🙂

• Admin

@KayC Thank you.  I am going to have a headache here in a bit from shaking my head about this one.