• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

And so it begins-"Sovereignty Act" and ignoring Federal Law

KatieSC

I was looking at the news clippings today, and I came across an article that discusses Utah's attempt to ignore Federal laws if the Utah Legislature finds that the Federal law violates state sovereignty. See link: https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/19/us/utahs-sovereignty-act-overrule-federal/index.html

Idaho's law banning gender affirming care for minors was set aside by the circuit court, and now they have appealed to the Supreme Court. Utah has passed their sovereignty act. Imagine what happens regardless whether we have Federal laws on our side, if this act is not ruled unconstitutional. Not a fun scenario. It will be interesting to see what happens in the 20 states who have enacted gender affirming care bans for minors if the Supreme Court negates their legislation. 

• Admin

I'd give this piece of doo doo about a 1 in 100 chance of being affirmed by the SCOTUS.  Not especially worried.

Carolyn Marie

While it has the potential to be used against LGBTQ+ people, overall..... state sovereignty and overruling the Feds is a beautiful thing.  I LIKE IT!!!  And of course SCOTUS won't uphold it, because they're an arm of the Federal government.  Silly to think they'd approve of something that undermines their power.  But it is a nice symbol.  I wish my state would do it.  Actually, I'd prefer to just secede and be done with the worthless rats in DC entirely.  While there's risk in that, there's also a great potential for reward.