• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Radiology Business Journal: 8 Ways To Improve Transgender Patient Experience At Imaging Centers

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

https://radiologybusiness.com/topics/healthcare-management/medical-practice-management/8-ways-improve-transgender-patient-experience-imaging-centers

These are all good ideas.  I can think of one more: Providing staff with Trans 101-type training.  @VickySGVand I have been doing similar training for medical students.  Why not radiology center staff?

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I still have a coffee mug and a water bottle from the school @Carolyn Marie and I spoke at.  It was fun to do and very satisfying. I also have a medical condition that needs me to drain off some blood every 15 weeks, and the clinic director there who is an MD actually told me that he sees that  the staff rotates on my blood draw simply to get to meet a Trans Person and it turns it into something relaxed for both I and the RN doing the phlebotomy on me.  It takes about 3/4 of an hour, but one or two of my former "trainees" walk by and smile, and one or two of them say they have met other Trans and have done a better job on them.  Squeeee!!!

I think there are a LOT of staffs (not just medical) that should undergo some level of Social Acceptance Training (is that a thing?). 

Any org or business that serves the general population IS going to come in contact with LGBTQ+ people and they should know how to speak to and treat them.