• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Are you a leader? A Follower? Or somewhere in-between?

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

Are you a leader? A Follower? Or somewhere in-between?

Retired now but in both my careers as an Army officer and higher education leader, I ascribed to the Infantry motto: Follow me!

I've also embraced the British Special Air Service (SAS) motto of Who Dares Wins.

Retired now as well. I was both. I was a Non Commissioned Officer in the Air Force. I also did other jobs where I wasn't the one in charge. If I would've stayed in I know for sure I would've been a Senior Non Commissioned Officer. I'm happy what I experienced. I sometimes regret getting out so soon but things didn't feel right anymore. 

I have no federal service to speak of, but I carry the title of director and manage people. I am more of a leader than a follower, though most always everyone has a boss. In work and life, It also depends on the situation. If you have a good plan, great. If there is no plan, I have no problem coming up with something in the immediacy; it may not be optimal, but it will be something to do that makes sense. I will revise the direction over time, improving the idea, and ultimately drive it to a fulfilling goal. Less to say, I am more about action than exhaustive planning. My adaptability allows me to pivot as needed, which I've learned its not a common tendency. Most people want a concrete plan A to Z and that tends to lead toward analysis paralysis, IMO.

I found out working for the government and engineering for several years that I don't like talking orders. I like doing things my way, regardless of the outcomes. 

I bought some survey equipment and started a land surveying/engineering firm that I ran until forced to retire (health issues). 

I have had several partners in many ventures, and they would seem to just take the back seat as well.

I'm used to being my own boss, but being dependant on medical services has changed that outlook quite a bit. I now have to work around their 'schedule and rules', and it's quite frustrating for me now. The old me is still there, but quietly submissive.

• Forum Moderator

Neither and all, or none. Never really a leader even when it is given to me.

follower.

in my own experience, if you shut up and keep quiet, no one can really complain

sad really, because most of the time I have feelings and opinions that just fall on deaf ears

• Forum Moderator

I don't like being a leader.  I'd prefer to be a follower.  But I often find myself thrust into leadership roles, often as not by my own frustration at the incompetence of other leaders, and I can be a good leader when I have to. 

My favourite role is as a coach / teacher.  It is kind of leader-ish, but more personal.