• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shopping across the aisle.

Mirrabooka

I wasn't sure where to put this.

I occasionally shop online for bras and panties, knowing what I want and knowing my size. This is in full knowledge of my wife.

Today I used a new store which I recently discovered catered for my true size - 40A. So, I ordered a bra and matching 3-pack of panties, for just under $80. I then became sucked in by the $29.99 delivery fee, but free if over $175, so back to the store I went!

My favorite old zip hoodie is on its last legs, so I searched for a new one. Found this one which I preferred over all others. Yes, maybe androgynous or unisex, but not marketed as such. To finish off, this tee also appealed to me. So, for the very first time as far as outerwear goes, I shopped across the aisle! 

I know through the experience of occasionally wearing my wife's tops, they actually fit me quite well. I look forward to the delivery and the try on of what I ordered, and the ongoing feeling of joy in the months ahead. 

Have fun! And hold on to your wallet, lol.

I started shopping "across the aisle" on a whim about 18 months ago. Found a couple of skirts on a clearance rack for $5 and $2 and thought, what the heck. Bought them, went home and, like, wow! I now own a closet full of stuff from the "other side" ...

At first I found myself buying ladies items that would pass either way (shorts, jeans, socks). But lately I have been getting more bold and buying curvy jeans or tops that are obviously feminine (with frilly features or lower necklines). Still not 100 percent bold in wearing these items out and about. But getting closer. 

Enjoy!

I've been shopping online across the aisle for a while (Athleta, Gap, etc.). The first time shopping the women's section was for jeans with my wife just after the holidays. However, last week while I was traveling to LA my wife wanted to go to UNIQLO because there aren't any of their stores outside the coasts and she likes their style. So in we went and I 100% shopped the women's section. I bought two nice sweater tees and a blazer (since I don't have a jacket that fits over the chest very well anymore).

I get the majority of my clothes online - Talbot's sales, eBay and Amazon - but I always shop the women's aisle when we go to Sam's Club and went shopping at a Talbot's Outlet with my wife in January - picked up a pair of slacks, a sweater dress, a sweater and a skirt. The salespeople didn't bat an eye.

SHEIN, Temu and thrift stores is where I go to for clothes. Torrid, Mercari, Amazon and maybe soon Only Maker for shoes. 

11 hours ago, EasyE said:

Have fun! And hold on to your wallet, lol.

I'll try!

11 hours ago, EasyE said:

I started shopping "across the aisle" on a whim about 18 months ago. Found a couple of skirts on a clearance rack for $5 and $2 and thought, what the heck. Bought them, went home and, like, wow! I now own a closet full of stuff from the "other side" ...

I still have no desire at all to start wearing skirts and dresses, and I don't have the curves to justify wearing women's jeans or slacks. I think the furthest I will go is maybe some pretty and androgynous tops one day. That's what appealed to me with the hoodie - it just looked so much nicer than any of those on offer from the men's department.

You might not think of it, but Goodwill has a TON of stuff.  I guess a lot of women buy clothes, hardly wear them, and then give them away when they get bored.  I've seen name brand stuff there for $3 or so.  You can always take a look...looking is free.  One of my friends is good with a sewing machine, and she gets stuff that's a bit bigger, then adjusts the fit.  Easier to subtract fabric than add 😄

I shop across the aisle, but for boy things.  And believe it or not, its actually more difficult if you're looking for something super cheap.  Thrift stores...most of the stuff for boys is worn out.  And being small, its super tough to find things in my size.  Even shorts, jeans, and t-shirts... good luck finding them in size "tiny fox."  Everything is made for Big and Tall.  6ft plus, built like a brick outhouse....Manly!  My husband complains since he's not 6ft tall, and if he has a tough time finding clothes that fit, its practically impossible for me. 

9 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

You might not think of it, but Goodwill has a TON of stuff.

Discovered this recently as well... you have to be more of a hunter because it isn't always obvious what the sizes are... at least the store near me organizes fairly well by color and such ... found a nice pair of khakis and a nice white skort, though also found a few shirts that when I got home, yikes, way too tight... 

I buy online occasionally, but I'd much rather try something on in the store to know if it fits or how it looks.  I'm not sure this is actually "shopping across the aisle" since I often shop for women's clothes dressed as a woman (but not always).  That said, I have had great success finding amazing deals on the discount racks at department stores.  I never buy anything at retail in fact, I usually only purchase when an item is seriously discounted.  Macy's, Nordstrom's, and Dillards clothes are extremely pricey, but you can find some amazing deals on the sales racks.  In Macy's last year, I bought a $300 dollar gown for $45 and just last week I found a really pretty and very feminine sweater on the Macy's rack for $16.99.  The original tag price was $89.00.  My experience is that department stores tend to sell higher quality clothing, which means you can find some great stuff when you shop their sales racks.

38 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

You might not think of it, but Goodwill has a TON of stuff.

I have found some great things at Goodwill myself.  And in the interest of full-disclosure, I have given a lot new or nearly new women's items to Goodwill as well.

My wardrobe is almost entirely from Torrid, but I know how to shop there. 

Using the store credit card I got 5% off, plus 10% off ordering something and picking it up in the store. I also take their survey every time for an additional 10% off (25% off total). 

I then shop their clearance items that are usually 30-70% off already.

I get 'name brand' items for Walmart prices. 

Yesterday I went back to the store I shopped last week (where they remembered the "Miranda" to write on the changing room board) since I knew if I waited long enough I'd get a decent discount sent to me to pick up a second item I had hesitated to buy last time. 

Was wearing a pair of jeans I picked up at Macys discount rack ala @Sally Stone  for the crazy price of two dollars!

2 hours ago, MirandaB said:

Yesterday I went back to the store I shopped last week (where they remembered the "Miranda" to write on the changing room board) since I knew if I waited long enough I'd get a decent discount sent to me to pick up a second item I had hesitated to buy last time. 

Was wearing a pair of jeans I picked up at Macys discount rack ala @Sally Stone  for the crazy price of two dollars!

WOW! That is awesome! The fabric probably cost more than what it sold for. 

One thing I forgot to mention is this was the first time that I had ordered lingerie in my name, instead of hiding behind my wife's identity! I no longer care if everyone in the supply chain assumes that I ordered it all for me!

4 hours ago, Mirrabooka said:

One thing I forgot to mention is this was the first time that I had ordered lingerie in my name, instead of hiding behind my wife's identity! I no longer care if everyone in the supply chain assumes that I ordered it all for me!

That is great to hear! I'm glad you had the courage to get out there and do it!

4 hours ago, Mirrabooka said:

One thing I forgot to mention...

I did that to start, too. The last purchases have been in person, so there's no hiding there. ;)

I bet it felt a bit freeing to do that!

💜Mae

Yes, it did @MaeBe, but there was an associated level of guilt with it too. 

My wife is always aware of any purchases I make, whether it be online or when I'm figuratively and literally hiding behind her skirt in store. Online, I usually order in her name and link our main, common email. This time I used my name and my Gmail account, which I very rarely use, because I didn't want her to see what I ordered when the confirmation came through. She knows it is a bra, some panties, a hoodie and a tee, but she doesn't know that those last two items are from across the aisle. Hoodies are unisex anyway, except if they are severely shaped which this one isn't, but this one does have chrome a colored zip and lace eyelets and aglets. A bit of bling!

My wife added me to her Talbot's account so I have my own card. We went to a local outlet the other day and I marched up to the register and used my card to pay for the jeans and blouse I bought for myself. I noticed that Talbot's has a diversity statement on the window as you enter the store. Another reason I like to shop there...but always wait for the 60% to 70% price markdowns. My jeans and popover cost under $30.

I also use her Amazon Prime account rather than pay for two Prime accounts. There's a new bra and a denim skirt for me in the Orders listing - to be delivered tomorrow. 🙂

@April Marie I'll have to add Talbot's back into my list of shopping haunts.  I used to frequent the chain a lot and found some great deals, but I haven't visited a Talbot's in quite some time.

45 minutes ago, Sally Stone said:

@April Marie I'll have to add Talbot's back into my list of shopping haunts.  I used to frequent the chain a lot and found some great deals, but I haven't visited a Talbot's in quite some time.

Much of my wardrobe is from Talbot's. My wife and I watch for the seasonal sales when you can get as much as 70% off already marked down items. I typically spend between $25 and $35 for items from blouses to sweaters to pants to dresses on-line. In the outlets you can find even better deals. The jeans I bought on Thursday we're $20 and, with the discount certificate we had, my popover was under $10.

• 2 weeks later...

So... the bra I haven't worn yet apart from a quick try on, but I'll get there. The panties are horrible - they look and feel nice, but their narrow gusset and the high cut style means that I fall out of them IYKWIM, but you live and learn. The hoodie was a bit small, but my wife's eyes lit up after seeing its bling and she basically stole it off me, so I have since bought another in the next size up! The tee shirt is absolutely sensational! Crew neck with a thin neckband, shorter than what I'm used to in length but still able to be tucked in if required, cut to fit my moobs, wide hem, small side splits, and fabric that looks and feels absolutely lovely. Definitely not a typical men's tee, but unisex enough. Who said a plain tee has to be boring! 😄 My wife was absolutely cool about learning that the clothing was from across the aisle. 

The simple act of wearing that tee, even though it doesn't look too inappropriate for a bloke to wear, actually gave me a moment one day last week. My wife and I were going for a walk, we were holding hands, and my hair was flowing. A car went past from behind us and the passenger, a boy about 12, leant out and stared back at us with a weird, grinning, confused, -what the heck- Is Going On look. I can only guess that the driver, presumably his dad, might have said "Oh look, two women holding hands!" before overtaking us. If my assumption is correct, then (1) I hope the boy has nightmares and is learning to mistrust his father after seeing my face, (2) it is actually the first time I have knowingly been thought of as not AMAB! It was probably my hair that was the notable factor, but wearing that tee completed the picture.

Androgyny is where I'm currently at. Since buying that tee and hoodie, coincidentally, we walked past a display in a department store the other day and I saw a sweater in womenswear that reminded me of one I had years ago which I adored, but it eventually lost its shape and had to go. My old one was green and a men's item, this one is brown and from across the aisle, but is very similar. I grabbed it off the shelf today, tried it on instore, and bought it today. Cheap! Brilliant Basics Women's Loose Knit Jumper - Brown | BIG W

• Forum Moderator
28 minutes ago, Mirrabooka said:

their narrow gusset and the high cut style means that I fall out of them IYKWIM

Yes, I found that, pre-op, "granny panties" worked best.

39 minutes ago, Mirrabooka said:

IYKWIM

🤭

I have recently become enamored with seamless, “second skin” style panties. They breathe well and feel divine. I have two pair of high wasted ones from UNIQLO which are my favorite, but I also like my Chantelle soft stretch ones that are bikini cut. Both are definitely a lot easier to wear with things “organized” down there, but light years better for day-to-day than the cotton styles I had been wearing.

It’s wonderful to read that your wife didn’t have any issue with your purchases! And your story about the little boy reminds me of what I wonder every time I’m out walking with my wife, “what are people thinking when they pass by us?” 

2 hours ago, Mirrabooka said:

IYKWIM

It really is trial and error dialing this in! My favorites are Vanity Fair Body Caress high cuts. Perfect for leggings, but a bit high-waisted for some jeans. But the fit and comfort is perfect for me. Reebok seamless hipsters are my go-to panties. (And weirdly enough, from an arms length distance in the laundry hamper, indistinguishable from my men's Calvin Klein briefs. And even weirder - from the same distance, Reebok's men's briefs with the narrow waistband look more like panties than their women's hipsters with a wider waistband.) I tried some Calvin Klein Invisibles hipsters and the fabric is amazing but the design is in the IYKWIM category. Unwearable for me. 

On 3/23/2024 at 8:16 PM, Mirrabooka said:

One thing I forgot to mention is this was the first time that I had ordered lingerie in my name, instead of hiding behind my wife's identity!

When I started 'shopping' the Amazon Women's aisle I noticed the Review section often had reviews by men, or others I would assume were Trans or crossdressers.  I always appreciated their comments (and sometimes photos) because it helped me learn about sizing and what might look good for my body type.

21 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

Yes, I found that, pre-op, "granny panties" worked best.

They've been my go-to for years particularly in bed, but having an acre of cotton across your bum during the day feels good too! During the day now I usually wear shorties that don't actually look too different to small trunks, but with less available room in the front.