• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I wish I had an answer to this.

Mia Marie

I see more and more postings with what the LGBTQ support organizations are doing and I see less and less about helping the older generation of us. All I really see is them wanting to help transgender youths and no matter how many times I ask for help, they tell me they can't help or they tell me the office I contacted only works with the youth only. Is there an organization that helps older transgender people? All I find when I do a search turns out with nothing more than talking about trans youths. I feel as though us older trasn folks are being left out. I applied for financial help in a form of a grant, twice, and was turned down with no explanations of why. They did ask me to help go over applications which told me I was automatically denied. Really doesn't seem fair, does it?  

• Forum Moderator
8 minutes ago, Mia Marie said:

I feel as though us older trasn folks are being left out.

Good morning Mia,

This is a great question, and I'm looking forward to the input from others.

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

@Mia Marie I agree that it seems most of the focus is on Trans Youth.  And maybe that is in part because of protecting Trans Youth from the political environment, and to give them a chance to transition at an earlier age.  Many of our generation have been cloistered for most of our lives by societal exceptions and I think that has made it more difficult to be Visible ... until Now.

So I guess my answer is ... Be Visible and seek out, or even start, support groups in your local area.  Planned Parenthood does provide Gender Affirming Care and therapy in most U.S. regions (and they take Medicare!). 

With the onslaught of bills targeting trans kids in the US and the current attempt to radically curtail gender-affirming treatment for kids in the UK I think you could just as easily ask why are things so hard for trans kids. Given the volatile political situation around them, I am pleased to hear there are still services attempting to help them.

8 hours ago, KayC said:

I agree that it seems most of the focus is on Trans Youth.

It doesn't just seem that it is, it actually is. aging trans people are left out of nearly 90% of all the help said to be available to transgender people.

8 hours ago, KayC said:

Be Visible and seek out, or even start, support groups in your local area.  Planned Parenthood does provide Gender Affirming Care and therapy in most U.S. regions (and they take Medicare!). 

Here in Texas, there are not many, if any actually created for aging transgender people. Planned Parenthood pretty much has only been active for trans youth, primarily, as of late. I can't even find legal help for discrimination cases that would help by allowing me to show that it is trans care related. By the way, I don't qualify for medicare as I am turning 55 this year. I also can't get Medicaid either. 

7 hours ago, Betty K said:

Given the volatile political situation around them, I am pleased to hear there are still services attempting to help them

Trans youths are not the only ones needing help. Aging trans need just as much help, BUT, are pushed aside as though we as older transgender people, do not matter. I agree the youth are our future, but until the youth decides to listen to what is being taught to them instead of thinking they know everything, the youth of the nation will be our demise. 

58 minutes ago, Mia Marie said:

Trans youths are not the only ones needing help. Aging trans need just as much help, BUT, are pushed aside as though we as older transgender people, do not matter. I agree the youth are our future, but until the youth decides to listen to what is being taught to them instead of thinking they know everything, the youth of the nation will be our demise. 

Mia, forgive me, I should have introduced myself. Hi, I’m Bette. I work with trans youth and I have many young trans friends; the other day I was at a party with 30-40 of them. If you’re envious of young trans folks I understand; when I left that party I broke down in tears thinking of all I’d missed out on as a young person. But I was also happy for them, and if anyone were to try and take away their happiness I would fight for them with all my strength.

I don’t know you, but it seems to me you’re angry about more than just your inability to find help? I’m very sorry to hear that you are struggling, but I hope you are not blaming young trans folks for that. Imo there is a generation gap in the trans community and it needs healing, not exacerbating. We are far stronger when we are united.

• Admin

One organization that I know of that is dedicated to assisting LGBT seniors is SAGE.  They advocate for, and have services for, all LGBT folks, not just trans folk.  You can find their website Here.  I am not sure what, if anything, they have in terms of financial assistance.  I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Carolyn Marie