• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Beware The Dietitian...

Guest Eck

I have to get this off my chest. (This, among two other things that I would love to get off my chest! :P ) Anyway, my doctor wanted me to see a dietitian. So I did. Neither of us said the words "calories" or "diet" the whole time. :huh: Instead, this dietitian told me that I need to dress more feminine and stop wearing clothes that scream out to the world that I'm depressed (she didn't like my comfortable "boy" clothes). She told me my colors were "Fall Colors" and that when we meet for our follow-up, we would talk about me wearing some makeup. Yes, I cancelled the follow-up. And I told my doctor (psychiatrist). I probably don't need to tell you guys how messed up that was. It left me feeling emotionally violated. I was in such shock that I couldn't reply to any of the dietician's remarks. My main thought was that I already have a doctor to discuss these things with, and she's not him! I shouldn't have to run around proclaiming to everyone in the world that I'm transgender. It just doesn't fall within the "need-to-know" range. And I feel stupid that I don't have a smooth rebuttal all planned out, but I just didn't see that one coming. And that's without the mention of MAKEUP! <_<

Eck

Guest Zabrak

I would of walked out. Thats just me though, I don't put up with c#@!#! anymore.

Her talking was pointless, and not her job. I'm sorry you had to endeavor her idiocy.

Guest Donna Jean

Woah!

VERY un-cool......

What does any of that have to do with eating ?

Sorry, Hon...that is plain ignorant!

Glad that you're not going back! That was just TOO much!

HUGG

Donna Jean

Guest CharlieRose

:blink:

What the heck was wrong with that lady? Sounds like she has some serious issues with her own femininity... and a complete lack of professionalism.

Guest Leigh

uuh...sounds like one weird "dietitian"

i thought you were gonna say that she was telling you to eat food by color instead of calorie, and i was going to say that it's actually an alright idea....but MAKEUP?!?!?!?!??

uhg.

glad you canceled the follow up..

peace&love

leigh

So are people really that ignorant? It bugs me that people have time to point out your flaws (as far as they're concerned), but they never want to take the time to get to know you before they do a bunch of damage.

Crawling in my little hole to hide, now...

Eck

Oh, yeah, and the dietician thinks I'm a "recovering Catholic", too. :huh: Where did that come from? And what business is it of hers? What on earth makes her think that I need psychiatric counseling from her? Ack.

Eck

Guest StrandedOutThere

What that lady was doing is what we call "working outside the bounds of one's professional expertise". Is she a dietitian or an image consultant?

Guest Deeedoo

RAAAAAAAAAAR!!!! :banghead: ANGRY!!! She has NO right to tell you how to dress. You should have attacked her. What is a recovering Catholic, anyway? I hope you didn't actually have to pay her. You should have reported her.

Guest Sydney_W

What the... Dude, I don't think anyone would've expected that from a dietitian. Don't worry about not having a comeback, I for one wouldn't have had one either.

That's a warped thing to say to any woman, let alone a trans guy (albeit unknowingly, but come on). She should get outta the doctor's office and go on Extreme Makeover if she's gonna say that crap to people.

Guest B.heard

OMG! wow I want to tell you something I went through about 3 years ago I asked my family doctor to send me to a dietitian as I was pretty over weight and I wanted to stop that, my very first time seeing this person he assumed all I ate was doughnuts and cake and told me to think like an Ethiopian in the 3rd world they dont have fat people so obviously I eat constantly and to stop it, Id like to add this person talking to me this way had a bad oder of old cigarettes and as they spoke smelled of alcohol.

These so called doctors dont always help in fact the best thing you can do is walk away from them that type of attitude alone will cause so much harm, the doctor I saw I told I wouldnt be needing another appointment and they basicly just laughed like ok stay fat then, I went on to see a wonderful nurse and lost about 130lb's just changing my life style and I got to laugh back in that doctors face but seriously you dont need anyone like that in your life let alone offering you help! >.<

P.s Third world starvation and famine is not the new Atkins diet and and being emaciated is not a good look any so called professional gives you advice like that run for the hills!

Guest Evan_J

I would have let her know straight out, "None of this is for you to tell me. It is none of your business, nor your job. The only thing you have to talk to me about is food. You are a dietitian. Nothing more". She needs somebody to let her know exactly where her "place" comes to a skreeching halt.

Guest Zabrak
I would have let her know straight out, "None of this is for you to tell me. It is none of your business, nor your job. The only thing you have to talk to me about is food. You are a dietitian. Nothing more". She needs somebody to let her know exactly where her "place" comes to a skreeching halt.

Evan is wise! I think she does need to be put in her place.

Guest NatalieRene
RAAAAAAAAAAR!!!! :banghead: ANGRY!!! She has NO right to tell you how to dress. You should have attacked her. What is a recovering Catholic, anyway? I hope you didn't actually have to pay her. You should have reported her.

The dietitian called herself a recovering Christian? I missed that in the original post but this is what I think it means.

:excl: Recover Catholic = Recovering from being slapped the last time she ran her mouth off like that? :lol:

Guest MrAwesome

I had bad experience with a dietician too. They run their mouths about things they know nothing about for some reason... NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER GO TO A DIETICIAN!!

Guest April63
So are people really that ignorant?

Sorry, but ignorant of what? If you stick yourself in her shoes, she saw you as a female that doesn't know how to dress. She just, perhaps rudely, told you how to dress. It's not really her job, she's supposed to be talking about food, but I don't really see a problem. Unless she was really mean about it.

Guest Zabrak
Sorry, but ignorant of what? If you stick yourself in her shoes, she saw you as a female that doesn't know how to dress. She just, perhaps rudely, told you how to dress. It's not really her job, she's supposed to be talking about food, but I don't really see a problem. Unless she was really mean about it.

I'm guessing you never had a job before, April. Which is not a suprise due to your age. What she did was unprofessional- its something that is one of those things people are suppose to learn when you get in to the working world. What she did =/= a good job.

Guest Evan_J
The dietitian called herself a recovering Christian? I missed that in the original post but this is what I think it means.

:excl: Recover Catholic = Recovering from being slapped the last time she ran her mouth off like that? :lol:

Actually I think she assumed Eck was (although how that got in there I will never know......).

A "recovering Catholic" (supposedly) is someone who got so screwed up by the views of the Catholic Church (being gay is a sin, being trans -if I can quote him from his speach in Dec....- is a threat to mankind itself, if you do anything to interfere with becoming pregnant you are interfering with the will of God, etc. , ad nauseum, en finitum.....)that you will forever be f'd up mentally and have to "recover" from ever foolin with them.

Can you tell I don't like Catholics? :D And no, I am not a recovering Catholic. I'm a freed slave.

I'm guessing you never had a job before, April. Which is not a suprise due to your age. What she did was unprofessional- its something that is one of those things people are suppose to learn when you get in the working world. What she did =/= a good job.

Very good Skywalker ;)

I would make a formal complaint. I doubt she gives out fashion and dress code prescriptions to everyone that walks in her door. So, she was discriminating against you. And it sounds like it was intentionally malicious. She took payment for that act of bigotry? Fraud!

Guest ~Brenda~

OMG!! Eck,

I am surprised you did not deck this idiot (actually it is good that you did not)!!! Hon, when they are that stupid, just walk away. You did the right thing to simply not setup the follow-up apointment!! Don't feel stupid Eck! How can anyone be prepared for that level of ignorance!!!

Oh hon,

Just keep on keeping on. Don't let this fool slow you down!!

This person is obviously dangerous. Stay away!!!

HUGS Eck,

Brenda

Guest MrAwesome

btw, I've had people like that all my life trying to tell me o be feminine... I was too young to sit there and take it I got mad and freaked. XP

Guest April63
I'm guessing you never had a job before, April. Which is not a suprise due to your age. What she did was unprofessional- its something that is one of those things people are suppose to learn when you get in to the working world. What she did =/= a good job.

I know it was unprofessional, but I don't understand how she was being ignorant.