• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Beware The Dietitian...

Guest Eck

Guest ~Brenda~
I know it was unprofessional, but I don't understand how she was being ignorant.

April, Sweetheart,

Anyone who is a professional in the healthcare industry knows not to make the patient feel defensive nor distrustful of the healthcare provider. Eck's nutritionalist violated both and more. It was not the dieticians place to make comments on Ecks appearance. The dietician's job is to evaluate one's diet and nutritional well being and to prescribe diet changes if necessary. It was not the dietician's place to make comments about dress or makeup!!

In the professional world, you are expected to perform your profession.. only!! You are not expected, nor is it tolerated, to make personal comments about one's appearance based on your personal judgement.

Professionalism means specifically that you put your personal prejudices aside and you deal with the situation at hand, unbiased and within your profession. What this dietician did violated every professional ethic known.

This person should be removed from the profession.

When you grow older hon, you will understand

Brenda

Guest Stacey Nicole

I have to agree, her duties are to guide you on a dietary path for a healthy body...not to give fashion tips to make you "look" healthier.

Guest NicolaiAE

I would have decked her...no amount of anger management classes would have cured me of that. :banghead:

I'm sorry you had to go through that and I sincerely hope you didn't have to pay for the visit. You did better than me at handling it though. :P

-Nicolai

Guest April63

I see. But I would expect that she be given freedom of speech while on the job. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. I'm going off topic.

Guest CharlieRose
I see. But I would expect that she be given freedom of speech while on the job. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. I'm going off topic.

Well, sure, *legally* she has freedom of speech. If she wants to remain within the bounds of tact, however, she's going to have to refrain from assuming everyone is like her, that Eck was too naive to realize what he was wearing and didn't have his own personal reasons for wearing it, and many, many other things.

Guest Cody_T

freedom of speech ends where society begins. No matter how idealistic you get about the bill of rights, you're still being constrained by everyone you meet and every situation you enter in to, and there are consequences when you don't follow the accepted rules. And when you're being paid for a consultation of this sort (where all you really have to offer are your words) what you say is basically your product. On your job, you tend to have less freedom of speech than in any other situation because of the tenuous relationship with a customer or boss. And even were she not in that position, it's rude to assume that someone else wants you to step in and insist on them accepting your opinion of their life unsolicited. When you get right down to it, you never get to say what you want. You say what you can, and if you're smart you'll hold the rest back.

freedom of speech ends where society begins. No matter how idealistic you get about the bill of rights, you're still being constrained by everyone you meet and every situation you enter in to, and there are consequences when you don't follow the accepted rules. And when you're being paid for a consultation of this sort (where all you really have to offer are your words) what you say is basically your product. On your job, you tend to have less freedom of speech than in any other situation because of the tenuous relationship with a customer or boss. And even were she not in that position, it's rude to assume that someone else wants you to step in and insist on them accepting your opinion of their life unsolicited. When you get right down to it, you never get to say what you want. You say what you can, and if you're smart you'll hold the rest back.

well said, Cody, biy.

Guest tapiarachael

This sounds like something outta Alice in Wonderland! A dietician talking about clothes and makeup? You sure you haven't been down any rabbit holes lately? o_O

Guest Mr.Yoav

How ignorant and closeminded.

This actually makes me really mad.

And true, it isn't her job to be telling you what you should wear. That's not fair. That's your choice.

Guest Zabrak

Just because you have 'freedom of speech' doen't mean you want to say everything that comes to your head. Why don't you want to say it? Why is she ignorant? Shes ignorant to the fact by insulting her customers she's losing business deals. She's talking about things that CAN and WILL upset people, and if she was smart she'd have common sense to know that those topics are often sensitive to people. If you want a job but you enjoy small talk then talk about something thats not going to put your sale on risk.

If you where hired somewhere and using your 'freedom of speech' to insult people or tell people things about themselves and its not part of your job, your boss would fire you. Why? Because the smarter people keep their opinions to themselves and do their jobs.

Every interaction outside of jobs have a 'social dance' to it. Do you go up to your teachers at school and call them stupid? No. Why? Common sense because you know the punishment that it may lead too. Its something you should and WILL learn. You need to be graceful to get around because if you're going to be blunt and rude all the time you arne't going to get anywhere in the world.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Where she would cross the line would be giving professional advice that was outside her area of expertise. For example, it wouldn't be appropriate for a hairdresser to give advice about diet and weight loss. It'd be okay to talk casually with a hairdresser about those topics, but it wouldn't be appropriate for the hairdresser to present advice as if it were a professional opinion. Likewise, since I assume that the dietitian was being paid for her time, she was, in essence, giving professional advice about things that were not germane to the purpose of the visit. Furthermore, it sounds like she offered little, if any, advice about diet.

Guest Ryles_D

A waiter could be a jack*** to his tables if he wanted to, but he'll get some miserable tips, which is a big chunk of a waiter's income, and will likely be fired. If that dietician makes a habit of treating her office as "Extreme Makeover" and ignoring the diet issues that patients actually came in for- she'll lose business. If she'd been professional and done her job, there's a good chance Eck would have made that follow-up appointment. If she loses enough, she'll be out of a job. So, she is free to say what she wants- but that doesn't mean she's free from the consequences.

It was also ignorant and close-minded to tell anyone that they need to dress more feminine or masculine. She was making assumptions about Eck's presentation and comfort that she shouldn't have been making, which were most likely fueled by Eck's birth sex. She's pushing cisnormative ideals and seems to be discriminating against those who don't fit into how she feels people of their gender should be.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 274 Guests (See full list)

• Abigail Genevieve
    • Layla Marie hay
    • Mmindy
    • Susie