• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is This Normal?

Guest Jeannine Bean

Guest Jeannine Bean

I'm using gel. And I'm at a fairly small dosage.

It really hypes me up. I don't sleep a lot.

I add in progesterone and I feel easier going but I still feel wired. I wake up with the sun and have to move around. . .

Best I can compare it to is like I drank a bit too much coffee.

This is a few weeks in.

Anyone else have this?

I'm no help on this one becayse I have been postponed again. :(

But don't worry, one of the girls on HRT will be here pretty soon. :)

Love ya,

Sally

Jeannine i do hope the gel is prescribed by a doctor, that being said i did have the same problem in the beginning when i started with gel but once my body got used to it things calmed down.

Depending on who you talk to progesterone may or may not be needed, and many doctors think it's not necessary at all, but those that do feel it should be added sometime after you have been on hrt for about a year or more and have quite a bit of development.

Paula

Jeannine,

I can honestly say that when I started hrt, I was utterly excited that I had the opportunity to start and was looking foward

to the results of the estro that It was a natural high that you describe. After the first couple of months everything kinda

settled down and then it was more of a relaxing than a stimulating thing.

Sincerly,

Jessica Hayden

Guest My_Genesis

i no close to nada about E but i have heard about fatigue and such when ftm's start T so maybe estrogen can have an opposite effect?

Guest Donna Jean

Jeanine....

Hon, I didn't have anything like that.....I had a huge calm come over me, but I'm sure that was psychological and not hormone induced.

I slept like a baby...(No...not wake up every two hours crying....lol!)

It was peace.....contentment....

Hugg

Donna Jean

Guest Joanna Phipps
Jeanine....

Hon, I didn't have anything like that.....I had a huge calm come over me, but I'm sure that was psychological and not hormone induced.

I slept like a baby...(No...not wake up every two hours crying....lol!)

It was peace.....contentment....

Hugg

Donna Jean

Not on E yet, but it sounds like you should at least talk to your Dr about it....getting wired on E doesnt sound good

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AllisonD

I do not recall ever having that response to estrogen.

I started estrogen long after all T was gone from my system tho, so I have to wonder if it could be a side effect of having both in your system at strength at the same time?

Allison

Guest Elizabeth K

I thought I had responded here?

Donna Jean and I had the same reaction.

But I am also on progesterone 1st through the 10th of the month. It's the progesterone that affects me - makes me sad.

Hope this helps

Lizzy

I'm using gel. And I'm at a fairly small dosage.

It really hypes me up. I don't sleep a lot.

I add in progesterone and I feel easier going but I still feel wired. I wake up with the sun and have to move around. . .

Best I can compare it to is like I drank a bit too much coffee.

This is a few weeks in.

Anyone else have this?

For some estrogen or progsterone or both .. initially can have stimulating effects .. or the reverse .. a calming effect .. normally it evens out eventually. As with everything each person reacts differently. For some the initial combination of the Estrogen or Progesterone or both added to the bloodstream while testosterone is still high in the blood .. can have the effect of extra energy or even increased libido initially. After a short time as the estrogen and progesterone establish dominance and the testosterone lowers either via the hrt slowing the testosterone production or an anti androgen doing it ... the initial extra energy or increased libido that some experience .. both decrease to about what is the norm for that of a bio female. In cases of MTF the morning rise of the lower male sexual anatemy even begins to slowly become a thing of the past.

I have been on hrt now for 13.5 years and for me the almost immediate initial effect of the estrogen was to calm my mind and to free my emotions. As for the progesterone in my case it was necessary for the sexy feeling it brought about for me. Without it I feel all blah. By blah I mean .. I lose that sort of truly happy feeling and sexy feeling that is a part of being female. I know when I had to be off progesterone for a week at one point because my pharmacy was out of progesterone and could not get it back in stock to fill my prescription for a week ... I was feeling actually depressed and close to suicidal so that shows how much some of us do require it regularly along with estrogen. Once it was back in stock and I had the prescription filled and again took a dose .. within about an hour I started to feel back to normal again. I was born as an intersexxed person tho operated on a week later to be raised male. So while I now am going the path as MTF I still have the bio chemistry and genetics of an intersexxed person. In my body the chemistry requires both progesterone and estrogen for me to feel right as a female. Both hormones have some really powerful effects that for some folks need to be in unison .. while for others just the estrogen does the necessary effects.

For some progesterone has the effect as I describe. For others it can cause them instead to be on edge and moody. It does aid in the development of breast tissue. But has far wider effects than just the breast growth .. it affects the moods and emotions as well. For some folks quite positively and for some folks almost negatively while for some folks it can be almost neutrally affective on emotions while still aiding breast development.

Both hormones affect each person differently for a variety of reasons which will be different in each person. Both can have different effects in a MTF than they might in a Intersexxed person for example. Or the effects might be similar. It depends upon things like each persons unique bio chemical make up as well as their personal genetic makeup. So no two persons can expect identical results from the same doses or specific hormone. This partly also explains why some respond better to the pill versions .. while some respond better to shots .. and still others respond better to the patches. All of this is part of why its best to have a dr be the prescriber of hrt so its set to your unique needs which may be quite different from anothers unique needs. The thing is ... the results are what we look for .. obtained safely ... and matched to our unique biology and chemical make up.

Monica_Jennifer

Guest AshleyRF

But I am also on progesterone 1st through the 10th of the month. It's the progesterone that affects me - makes me sad.

Hope this helps

Lizzy

Same with me on the progesterone. Well it either makes me kinda depressed or it, ahem, makes me something else :). For some reason it usually makes me crave intimate contact. It's an unusual craving that's a lot more intense than just normally being in the mood.

Other than that, I actually slept better the first couple months after I started HRT than I ever had before. Unfortunately that didn't last and I'm back to getting 3 to 4 hours a night sleeping if I'm lucky.

Guest My_Genesis
Same with me on the progesterone. Well it either makes me kinda depressed or it, ahem, makes me something else :) . For some reason it usually makes me crave intimate contact. It's an unusual craving that's a lot more intense than just normally being in the mood.

Other than that, I actually slept better the first couple months after I started HRT than I ever had before. Unfortunately that didn't last and I'm back to getting 3 to 4 hours a night sleeping if I'm lucky.

Sorry I'm invading this thread again :D

I just find that interesting though, I guess if you are mtf you will be much more responsive to the "effects" of progesterone even though T is like, way more potent in that aspect?

Guest julia_d

I remember back when.. all those years ago. The first few days it came with a warm flush and a little hyper.. it calmed down after a while. Now if I'm a few hours late I get crabby and sad. I'm getting through too much of the stuff now after 8 1/2 years. It's all that seems to be keeping me going most days.

Hope this helps

Lizzy

That is because it is Provera...A known depressant.

I belong to a group that reseached like crazy on the effects and necessity of the progesterones.

I have tried different kinds and do not feel they are at all necessary for a good transition.

As one ten year postop told me,Don't waste your money.And if you do feel you heve to have it,

go with something besides Provera.Like creams one can buy across the counter in most any drug store.

Angie

Guest AshleyRF
Sorry I'm invading this thread again :D

I just find that interesting though, I guess if you are mtf you will be much more responsive to the "effects" of progesterone even though T is like, way more potent in that aspect?

Of course T is more potent in that aspect. The difference is the way I crave it and the form of craving for it that I get. I don't want to go into many details because I think we should keep it G rated here but I will sum it up as simply as I can by saying that the way I want it now is way different than they way I use to want it and the way that I want it now is increased when I'm on progesterone. Honestly when I'm not on progesterone, I rarely think about sex, when I'm on it... I get this yearning for....... yeah..... :)