• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Deadly Shooting At Tel Aviv Gay Center

Deadly Shooting at Tel Aviv Gay Center

2 dead 10 wounded mostly teens

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-08-02-voa4.cfm

"The shooter, who witnesses say was dressed in black, unloaded an automatic weapon on a group of teenaged boys and girls attending a support group in the community center's basement, and then made a clean getaway. The dead and wounded were said to be young people, including teenagers."

I don't know why they hesitate to label something like this as a hate crime.

It is pretty obvious that the group was targeted because of being gay - the close down suggested for the gay clubs indicates that the police know this is a hate crime so why hesitate to label it as such.

Another sad reminder of how small minded the world is and how violent the small minded are.

Love ya,

Sally (still sold on the idea that love is stronger than hate)

This one made me cry. This guy targeted children. It's not only a hate crime but was likley religiously motivated. Sadly some religious groups I can think of will be cheering. It is time these groups took responsibility for the hatred they sow. Hatred is not God's message. It is man's who justifies it in his name.

Laura

Guest meridian

Now the VOA site also says the authorities are calling it a hate crime. And though I haven't yet been able to find confirmation in a story, Google news is saying that three have now died. Israel has been a haven for gay people in the Middle East, even for some gay Palestinians. Prime Minister Netanyahu (conservative on so many political issues) has put out a strong statement of support for the victims and their families. That is a minimal bit of light in what is otherwise such a sad day.

Meridian

Guest CharlieRose

Wow... I *just* got back from an awesome sleepover party I had with the queer youth group I go to... That's *really* scary, *really* messed up. (I'm just glad I'm in California, not Israel, though apparently there are still a lot of other queer kids who are)

Guest NicolaiAE

That's a hate crime if I ever saw one. I hope they catch the guy and that the young adults that were injured make a speedy recovery. I can't say much for the two that died other than I hope their souls find peace in the midst of all this. It is a shame that someone would attack the world's future.

-Nicolai

• Admin

Ultra Orthodox Jewish groups have a lot in common with the Christian Right, when it comes to tolerance

for the GLBT Community. They simply have none. They will never change. Our Community has to

be constantly vigilant. We have to protect ourselves. No one else will.

Carolyn Marie

Guest gentleman1

I read about this event in todays newspaper. Everytime I read something like this it moves me to tears. I don't think I will ever, EVER understand why hate is ok in the minds of some of these "religious" people. I get turned off of religion when I see things like this. Then I get angry and end up going back to sad. Is it just me or does there seem to be another increase, a "ratcheting up" if you will, of hate crimes against the LGBTQ community throughout the world?

Guest ~Brenda~
This one made me cry. This guy targeted children. It's not only a hate crime but was likley religiously motivated. Sadly some religious groups I can think of will be cheering. It is time these groups took responsibility for the hatred they sow. Hatred is not God's message. It is man's who justifies it in his name.

Laura

As we all know... more people have been killed in the name of "God" than for any other reason. All religious leaders must understand that they have the responsibility to show LOVE. Acts like this, discredits religion, discredits humanity, discredits us all.

This was an act of a coward. As too often happens. Instead of having the courage of understanding, the shooter hid behind their beliefs, not reason. This shooter attacked the weakest. This shooter is a coward and vile. This shooter is not a representative of God's love, justice, nor humanity.

Religion....

Be wary of those who say that they know the word of God for they are liers and false prophets.

Brenda

Guest NatalieRene

Laura

:o I don't even know what to say. God would never have anyone kill anyone in God's name. The commandments don't say thou shall not kill unless their a [insert minority group]. I'm sickened.

Guest Jean Davis

Now are we absolutely positive there's a religios group behind this.

Because if we are not doesn't an accusation against any religious group without facts make us just as bad as those who work to condemn us.

Jean Davis

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 215 Guests (See full list)

• Cyndee
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • MaryEllen
    • VickySGV
    • AmandaJoy
    • Davie
    • Ashley0616
    • Jet McCartney
    • Genny
    • ClaireBloom
    • April Marie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

TransNameA
    Newest Member
    TransNameA

1. FullyHart
      FullyHart
    2. MariPosa
      MariPosa
      (65 years old)
    3. pechenezhka
      pechenezhka
      (17 years old)
    4. Rubycd
      Rubycd
      (59 years old)
    5. Yana
      Yana
      (31 years old)
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I think you should discuss it with your doctor.  I know you are 'asking around' but experience probably varies.
    • Jet McCartney
    • VickySGV
      This one is behind a pretty heavy pay-wall, for me $50 US/per year.  
    • Jet McCartney
      Bipolar got me high and low. 
    • Jani
      I had heard the story of Nicks-Buckingham but not the rest.  Olsen was prolific.
    • Betty K
    • ClaireBloom
      I completely relate to this.  My partner of 5 years has made it clear she won't be going with me if I go down this path. I feel like I wasted her time with my own fear and procrastination.  I visit my elderly parents (my mother has dementia) and my first thought is there's no way I can put them through this. I think the same thing when I see my adult daughters.     Nobody is holding us hostage but us.  
    • Ivy
      I do get this, really.  However this is part of the reasoning behind the blockers.  Without them there will be "irreversible" changes, only not the ones wanted. No, I don't think this should be done lightly, but I have a problem with forbidding it by law in all cases.
    • Ivy
      Yeah.  I have 6 of them.  I learned a lot.
    • EasyE
      I'm kind of torn on this issue. On the one hand, I have met or seen youngsters, and there is very little doubt they are trans. It would seem cruel to deny them care toward this end. On the other hand, there are many others who may dip their toes into the waters while exploring themselves only to realize it isn't who they are. My daughter had a friend like that in high school. First he wanted to date her. Then he thought he was transfeminine for a season then realized that wasn't him.   We go slow on so many other things with kids. We don't let underaged folks drink or vote. We would question someone who locked into a career at age 12-15 (though there ARE some people who do know exactly what they want to do when they grow up very early in life). We would discourage marrying very young, etc.   I'm never crazy about government regulations on things because they tend to screw everything up. So I hate this has become such a political football where neither side listens to the other... But there is wisdom in going slow and allowing things to play out and making sure before such drastic measures as blocking puberty and having surgeries are taken...   Of course, it should be a person-by-person decision, working in concert with family, community and medical professionals, but it seems we never want to do it this way. We always seem to want to throw everyone and everything into a one-size-fits-all dynamic... 
    • EasyE
      Hey all, been on estrogen monotherapy for about two months. Man, I am just tired all the time. I feel like I have a low-level cold. Hard to get out of bed in the mornings. Even when I get in a good 8-9 hours sleep. Just have the blahs. Leg muscles are sore, like I ran all day...   There are a lot of other potential factors. I drink way too much caffeine (though I have always done that and not always felt this tired). I tend to stay up late on nights when I have to get up early the next morning. Not enough exercise. Have some thyroid issues, though I thought I had those back within normal ranges. Possible low potassium levels.   I realize no one here is a medical pro, per say, just curious if it is in others' experience to feel extreme fatigue for a season when starting HRT. This is one of the reasons I chose not to do spiro, is that I read it could cause lethargy and fatigue and make you pee all the time (I am having those issues too), but I am having a hard time with these effects anyways.   I suspect my T was low before I even started HRT (just by observing how the, err, equipment, hasn't functioned so robustly over the past few years)... Maybe my body isn't sure who is in charge right now in terms of hormones since a new sheriff has arrived but only in minor quantities at this point... thanks again!   EasyE
    • EasyE
      I relate to a lot of this ... in my 50s now ... never really questioned my body but have always been fascinated with girl stuff (and loved that I had two daughters because it gave me an excuse to explore the feminine world more)...   I like how you said this: "When I dared to take another peek inside, my egg cracked big time." Yep ... yep ... yep...  
    • Ivy
      This is kinda long but if somebody is interested…   https://medium.com/prismnpen/cass-review-weaponized-political-right-497080b8c6d2    
    • Desert Fox
      Sorry to hear you lost both your parents young. My dad died from a heart attack when I was 10. My mom died a few years ago. I never came out, truly, to either of them, about my gender identity. On one hand it is freeing, not having to deal with “what would they think or feel about me now” but on the other hand, I wish they had truly known.
    • Ivy
      I think a lot of us did this.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.