• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Feminizing Effects Of The Mind Without Hrt

Guest Virginia_

Guest nymphblossom

My wife and I had a long talk last night about my transition as we usually do over the weekends. I told her I simply did not think I appeared male when I look at myself in the mirror anymore. That I was sure it was just my mental perception, believing what I wanted to believe. My wife said I was not seeing things. She has noticed it too but was too upset to mention it before. Neither of us could put our finger on what it is. But something is different, undeniably feminine about the way I look.

I have done some reading on the effects of hypnosis and physical feminization. We started wondering if my mind hasn't decided I am female and has taken it upon itself to try to compensate as best it can by beginning to adjust hormone levels in my body. I just began my transition about six months ago. I have only had 6 laser sessions, my eyebrows are groomed but not particularly feminine, my hair barely covers my ears and I am not starting HRT until the first of the year. I am 49 had my testosterone levels checked a few years ago. At the time, I was 150, low normal male. I am 5'11", eat like a horse and have dropped from 176 pounds to a shapely 149. My shoulders used to be broad and muscular. Now I look petite. Have any of you pre HRT transsexuals experienced this? Has anyone ever heard of the mind feminizing the body without HRT? We both can't be seeing things. Someone please tell me I am not going crazy :(

Blossom

Hi Blossom !

No, you are not crazy. In fact you are right. A good deal of feminization is mentally, your looks is just the icing on the cake. Others perceive you in a very narrow band: First they look at the face, then the attention gets narrower to the eyes and cheek, and then they focus on your soul, which means that people look into your eyes and see the real YOU. So if you are feeling happy, people know you are happy. If you feel sad, people will see you are sad. If you feel more feminine, YEP: people WILL see that. It is really hard to hide yourself from others, yeah you can look away with your eyes, but people generally can tell.

Guest ~Brenda~

Sweetheart,

Thank you so much for posting this topic!! First, you are not crazy!!! Indeed, I have experienced the very same thing!!! When my mind was fed up and decided enough is enough, I started to feminize naturally big time!! When the massive change hit (some 6 or 7 years ago) I was getting comments like "you are like my wife". Conversations with me (at my previous place of employment) would revolve around my feminity and the change that was happenig with me (where I worked before knew me before and after). People would start talking about transpeople that they knew in the past. I never brought up these topics with them. People would just start talking about these things when I was around them. They all could tell something was happening with me and that I was feminizing. My current place of employment just accepted me as gay right off the bat. Everyone sees that I am feminine (not fully transitioned yet. That will require going through the real process).

Anyway, yes it does happen!! Your mind does influence how you look!!

Love

Brenda

i didnt have as drastic results as you did, but before i got on hormones, but after i was in therapy and on this site, i started to feminize too. i would occasionally feel a twinge in my breasts. my features got a bit softer. my anger and libedo dropped. even my hair got slightly easier to shave.

its cool that i'm not alone in this. thanks for sharing. :)

Guest ~Brenda~

Oh there is one more thing I wanted to mention.

My very first indication that people were starting to notice something was that they would comment that I looked younger somehow. Even today when people find out that I am 48 they are taken a back and say something like "You don't look anywhere near 48, I would have guessed maybe mid 30's". I bring this up because when I was 30 people thought I was in my 40s (I was very unhappy back in those days).

Brenda

Guest nymphblossom

Absolutely amazing, thank you all for sharing! And Bernii, I have gotten the comments about looking younger, healthier too. I had chalked it up to the fact that acupuncture had relieved quite a bit of the pain I have with my back. Now I am sure this is exactly what it is. I wonder why this aspect of transition isn't widely discussed? I looked all over the net and couldn't find anything about it. I am hoping others (MTF and FTM) will chime in to share their stories of the physical changes they began to experience once they let down the barriers to acknowledge their inner self and their minds began to take control of their bodies.

Blossom

Guest AllisonD

Hi Nymphblossom

I never saw you in a before picture, but you know I have seen your current pictures and I have a hard time picturing you as male. I have seen you change over the last 6 weeks or so and I think that it is your male construction coming apart. I think you have been doing your male act for so long, puffed up cardboard behavior that we have talked about that after so many years that is how you really believed you looked. You certainly did to your environment, you put on a really convincing show. As I read the stories here of the others that did the denial and repression thing I have no trouble at all believing you were successful. But you have dropped the masquerade, and I think that is what you are seeing. I know that doesn't directly explain the muscle and weight loss, so maybe that is your brain kicking in somehow, but the rest, the attitude, stance, walk, overall look: I see that as you simply NOT doing the masquerade anymore.

I remember when we talked much earlier that you were convinced you were only going to 'soften' up a little, not really go for the total 'woman' look, just more or less andro. Now look at you. New hair, nails, makeup, polkadot sundress (very very cute by the way) shoes. So much for the andro look. I think it is your heart finally getting its way and you are simply reflecting just what you feel inside, finally free of your brain convincing you that you cannot/should not let it out. You know for a fact you can pass in public, no HRT, you have proven it several times on extended outings. NO WAY you could have done that last January, your brain hadn't let your heart take control back then.

I think that's the difference you are seeing. I sure do see it when I see you.

Love

Allison

Guest nymphblossom

(Blushing) Thank you AllisonD.

Yes, Blossom is beginning to blossom :) It is still hard for me to accept after having spent 49 years in a male role, that with a little makeup and a wig, I can somehow manage to be perceived as a female. I think I am starting to understand now what you meant about it becoming more and more difficult for me to pass... as a guy.

Blossom

Kia Ora,

:rolleyes: I'll sum it up this way....

I THINK THEREFORE I AM !

Metta Jendar :)

:lol: YES!!!! my sentiments exactly. i've always been amazed at how true that is. thanks for saying it. it actually made my day.

:lol: YES!!!! my sentiments exactly. i've always been amazed at how true that is. thanks for saying it. it actually made my day.

Kia Ora Skyy,

:rolleyes: It's all to do with MIND OVER MATTER! and as you well know Skyy IT'S ALL IN THE MIND! B)

Guest *Elizabeth Anne*

Could be

But looking at my benchmark photos (taken just as i started) - woah - very male.

But I do think pre HRT is powerful when you KNOW you are going to transition. It takes a month minimum, usually longer, but as soon as the HRT starts - bingo - the body decides something like "why wait."

Fun to have that affirmation... and when the big changes hit it gets so good!

Lizzy

Kia Ora Liz,

When one fully accepts themselves for who they are, their body gradually become free of the the stress, strain and tension that's been clogging their 'natural flow' so to speak...So when starting HRT-HRT just goes with the 'natural flow' of things... :rolleyes: Well that's one of my many theories... ;):D

Guest AshleyRF

Never underestimate the power of the human brain. It is a miracle of amazement and wonder and absolutely has the power to change ourselves and the world around us.

Kia Ora,

I'll sum it up this way....

I THINK THEREFORE I AM !

Metta Jendar

just thought i'd say in reply to something about descartes:

he slept in the nude teeheehee.

it was in the meditations.

Kia Ora Skyy,

:rolleyes: It's all to do with MIND OVER MATTER! and as you well know Skyy IT'S ALL IN THE MIND! B)

mind over matter, if you dont mind, it dont matter!!! B)

Kia Ora Skyy,

That's so true!

Kia Ora Terra,

My take on "I think therefore I am!" is coming more from a Buddhist perspective -Thought being the catalyst for all ones words and deeds-which in turn creates ones reality...

"If we change the way we look at things-the things we look at change!" Simple but so true...

I bet he[descartes] was bloody cold of a winter's night ;):D

Kia Ora,

I'll sum it up this way....

I THINK THEREFORE I AM !

Metta Jendar

just thought i'd say in reply to something about descartes:

he slept in the nude teeheehee.

it was in the meditations.

Uhm.. I AM therefore I think ^_^

• 1 month later...
Guest Austen

http://www.bilerico.com/2009/09/mind_the_g..._the_valley.php

I wrote a piece on Bilerico about this subject. It is my opinion that all transpeople, transitioning or no, go through a phase that I'd call "the gap." It's a horrible place, IMO, where a person isn't male, isn't female, isn't gender-variant, but just sort of falls of the map. I believe that this may be due, in part, to disparities between the brain/soul's gender (I think i'm female, even though I don't actually look that way right now) and people's perception of the person's gender (That's a guy... right? I mean, its not a girl, but it sure-as-heck isn't a guy!)

That being said, I do believe that 90% of passing and social acceptance comes from the mind. Even when I was presenting as a male women started talking to me as "one of the girls," and men began feeling uncomfortable engaging in "guy talk" with me. At my place of employment I was still closeted, taking hormones but presenting as female only on the weekends.

The _moment_ I flipped the bit in my mind that said "Yep, I'm a female" instead of "I'm questioning," or "I'm a male inside, even though I want to be a woman," there was a _significant_ improvement on my ability to pass in public. Maybe this was a change in the soul, so to speak, or just that I had allowed my mannerisms and expression to "slip" into place. It's not a total shift, but it's certainly good enough for government work.

I've attached a picture of my "gap" for comparison. I was still living as a man, but thought of myself as a woman. The disparity gained me stares from pretty much everybody on the street, and not the friendly kind. :(

Guest Robin Winter

I was just thinking about this yesterday! The mind is most definitely a powerful thing, and is capable of creating physiological changes through force of will alone. It *has* been proven. Men who wanted to breast feet have lactated, people have overcome illnesses, etc.

I think it's entirely possible :) Working on it myself :P

This thread strikes home for me. I used to be very self-conscious about being considered effeminite and it was a long journey for me to accept this about myself and to come to embrace it and finally to allow the woman within to come out. Funny, I seem to come full circle as when I was a child I liked to play with my sister's dolls and in my adolescence I put on my mother's clothes and make-up and began developing breasts like other girls. Anyway I have long thought that at the point that I accepted and loved the woman-within me, my natural female hormones really started pumping. My breasts grew even bigger and my penis shrank and retracted involuntarily to the point that I had to start peeing sitting down. Another thing is that while I was always attracted to boys sexually and romantically it wasn't until I began to accept myself as a woman that I realized I was not a gay male---I never fit in with gay males any more than I fit in with straight males. It may sound strange but I can feel my female hormones in my body. For me the key was acceptance of how I felt and then the hormones just naturally started flowing.

ricka

Guest jennifer_mcg

Oh yes! The mind rules! Thank you for this post and I think, therefore I am! But over many years of trying to understand myself -- as a "boy" and as a "man" I realized that I've been under pressure all along to ... "think". So I'd revise that, now that I'm trying to come to terms with myself (somewhat late in life!):

I Feel Therefore I am!!

Because the male mind is, most often, linear, logical and rational. Yet we feel compassionate (beyond logic much of the time), cherish relationships even when they are unreasonable, and to males a bit "messy", to say the least ;) !

I've been on estrogen on and off, two years now -- but most recently have encountered not only programs for feminization hypnosis, but also validation of the power of "hypnosis", generally. I will leave the matter of "faith" alone -- that is certainly not a matter for scince, but for sentiment.

JJ