• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Needs Some Tips (Pics Inside)

Guest FebruaryFalls

Guest FebruaryFalls

Hey everyone, I posted some pictures in the What am I section, but I'm looking for some answers from the guys who do this everyday

Basically, I'm just coming to terms with my gender identity issues, I'm trying out different things, and so far, I've been feeling fairly comfortable (buying boxers, cutting my hair, looking into binders/compression shorts)

I'm just looking for a couple tips, first off, I want to know how well you think I have a chance at passing (Right now I'm still going for a neutral thing, easing people into it) I feel with a little work I could definitely pull off passing.

100_3323.jpg

100_3341.jpg

100_3316-1.jpg

I know it's obviously not perfect, but it's a great start. Big change for me considering I've only ever had two hair styles my entire life. But I really love it, it's so comfortable, I'm getting really positive responses, which helps a lot.

Basically I feel I pull off passing best when I'm wearing a ball hat.

Big question, buying pants. I really want to buy guy pants, but I've got an issue of well defined hips. Everyone says I should be thankful for the curves, but I hate them. I'm becoming increasingly more dysphoric about them and I feel like I'm going to run myself into the ground emotionally if I don't figure out a way to make myself feel comfortable while I work to get rid of them. Sorry I don't have any pics, if you feel it would be helpful to have one (which I'm sure you will :P) I'd be more than happy to oblige, but until then I'd rather not draw my own attention to them.

Basically, I want to know how you guys shop for pants, do you find you can fit into the same size in guy pants that you can in girls, or do you have to shop outside that? because I really don't know where to start...I also have the preference of straight/skinny legged styles...I could do without the skinny, but the straight is what I'd need

I also need some tips on compression shorts, they all seem really long (underworks) does anyone know a place to get shorter ones?

I'm about 5'6 to put things into perspective there.

Sorry if this is scattered, I'm just asking a lot of questions without direction aha :P Any help would be much appreciated

Hey man,

Looking good. You pass in my books. :P Love the Ninja Turtles hat.

I understand you, mate. I have pretty big hips as well. Sucks.

In girl pants I am a size six to eight. Depends.

In guy pants I am about a thirty to thirty four or 30x30/30x32.

I wear bootcut (i think) and straight legs. Skinny jeans tend to make your figure look like a V (Your hips being the top of the V, and your feet being a bottom) even when your feet are separated.

If you are unsure, just ask the sales person. That's what I did when I bought my first pair of guy shorts. The lady was very helpful and picked out ones that would help me disguise my hips. *shrugs* Store people are there for a reason, I guess.

If you don't want to ask for help, just grab pants in various ranges of sizes and see how they fit. That might take a while. :P

Best of luck!

February,

As being a guy my whole life, can honestly say that I am having a hard time telling by your pictures that you are genetically a woman. Although I am eventually going to transferring to being a woman, I would love to help you being the man that you want to become. Just remember, You need to be happy with yourself and its doesn't matter what others think. We are all here for you!

-HUGS-

Erika :)

Guest BrandonIThink

Hey February,

First of all I'd like to say you look great! In the second two pics you look pretty androgynous, and you definitely pass in the first one. About pants: I have defined hips as well, and generally when I find jeans (usually a 32) that fit my waist, they're about a foot too long (I'm just under 5'4"), so sometimes it kinda sucks. Carden basically said it all: you can get a sales associate to help you if you're comfortable with that. I wasn't when I was figuring out my size, so I just made an educated guess, grabbed a couple sizes of give and take both ways, and went to try some stuff on! Once you figure out your size, it gets so much easier. I generally wear bootcut jeans specifically because they're less form-fitting, but I am also a fan of the skinny jean B) They're awesome when you find the right pair, but if you're looking for minimal hip definition, it can be a challenge, so I wish you good luck! ;)

Guest Crossroads

I'd stick with the loose fit jeans for now instead of skinny or straight leg. It's hard at the beginning, and you're smart for starting with an in the middle look. Sizing is waist x outseam for men's pants. Grab something that seems right, try it on, and go from there. Mens' sizing makes SO MUCH more sense than Women's. Target has very "metrosexual" style clothes. As soon as I started passing 100%, I started going there to get clothes.

If any of you figure out how to make skinny jeans look on us how they look on cis-guys, please share your tricks.

Any guys jeans I buy end up just making me look heavy set (though I should be happy that I have a 30" inseam even though I'm only 5'2"). I especially would love to be able to pull of the skinny jean look where they're like baggy skinny jeans, instead of the "V" shape that Carden mentioned.

February Falls, I freaking love your look. Especially the Ninja Turtles hat. I have the same hair color and facial structure as you so I might steal your haircut... I probably shouldn't admit to thievery...

If you just measure yourself (waist and inseam), you'll know your guy size and it's easy from there. The only way you can go wrong is in "vanity sizing," which many brands do. Check out this article http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/pants-size-chart-090710 to see how some common brands exaggerate their sizes. In general, less expensive brands like Target, Wal-Mart, Old Navy or the Gap (ha, like Gap is "less expensive," I wish I could afford Gap), tend to run much larger while more fashionable brands like H&M, American Apparel, American Eagle will run more true to actual measurements.

Guest harvester52

Before I was on T, I had a pretty shapely body, as a lot of my fat distributed to my hips. My style is very baggy, loose, and full of pockets so I found it easy to cover my hips. I don't know much about women's sizing, as I haven't worn a single bit of women's clothes since I was in the 7th grade, at which point I think I wore a 14 (I've grown since then) and I now wear a 42x28 men's pants (an incredibly difficult size to find... I normally have to buy 42x30 and then hem them up.) Like others have said, you have to be weary of vanity sizing. I have some pairs of 38's that fit like 44's, and some 46's that fit like that 40's. MEASURED, I'm a 42, so that's what I generally go for and I usually get stuff that fits. I'm not much for trying stuff on in the store, so if it don't fit, I take it back (or if it's too big, just wear a belt.) I would definitely steer clear of the skinny jeans if you're trying to conceal hips. Some of my biomale friends that wear skinny jeans end up looking like they have an hourglass figure when they wear skinny jeans.

-BC

Guest FebruaryFalls

Yeah, I'll steer clear of skinny, but I'll probably still have to try some straight legs, just to see for myself.

I'm working on losing a bit of weight from that area before I buy any pants though. I'm not fat by any means, but I've got some love handles and "shapely" :banghead: hips, but once I work some of that off, I'll be looking into pants.

Thanks for all the tips on shopping though, I'm not comfortable with asking for help yet though..I've always hated talking to sales associates, I even get nervous when they're just around me aha

Anyone have any experience with compression shorts?

Guest SicVitaEst

Hey i totally want to steal your hat! Take their advice, no skinny...as for straight leg, try the Arizona jeans that Jc Penny's usually carries at a pretty descent price (like say $17-20)...they are not to baggy as long as you dont get the relaxed fit, and they are straight and pretty comfortable...those were the first ones i got and they actually work either way if your trying to go andro or all guy....hope that helps

Guest seanjamie

hehe cool really like the hat and your first pic you look all guy :) - the other 2 a little more androgenous, but still really awesome , great style anyways luck with the jeans.

~Sean

Guest StrandedOutThere

Yeah, avoid the skinny jeans. I wear either low rise boot cut or low loose. I find that the jeans at American Eagle are a good fit and aren't crazy expensive.

Another option is to try some compression shorts. You can get them at Wal-Mart or any sporting goods store. They are really helpful if you're having to wear dress pants. I find that my hips really make it hard to find dress pants that fit and don't look odd.

Also, start paying attention to how wide cis-men's hips are. It's not the norm, but there are a lot of wide hipped guys out there.

Guest MrAwesome

I'm 5'6" also. The compression shorts on Underworks work good for me, they also have a shorter version I Think though if you surf the regular Men's part of underworks. I would suggest wearing Cargo Pants. That's the only kind of pants I Wear, never jeans anymore. They're roomy, and hide any female shape.

Guest Jace Quent

Heh. When I buy clothes, I just find something that I think looks cool and buy a size or two up from where I ought to be. I might look fatter, but I look completely less feminine and it works out pretty well for me. But I like my clothes big and comfortable; you might not.

Guest HaileyR

I think you definitely pass pretty well. I'm not sure how old you are but you look pretty young, thats a common hurtle for FTMs. As for pants men's pants are pretty simple. I believe the size if just the width of your waist in inches and then length of your leg in inches, so you can just take some measuring tape and if your waist is 25 inches around and your legs are 25 inches long your men's pants size will be 25x25. Its possible that you might have to shop in the boy's section for pants though :(

Guest FebruaryFalls

I'm still working on the pants issue. I keep forgetting to measure myself and I don't want to try on twenty pairs of pants that don't fit and make myself feel horrible. I'm also a bit self concious when pants shopping and this is making it worse. I hate sales associates in clothing stores aha. I did grab some compression shorts. Haven't had a chance to truly test then out yet and I'll be getting a binder fairly soon I hope.

And yeah, I look young no matter what. I'm actually 20 though aha I look 14 now

Guest FebruaryFalls

So I finally got some pants yesterday! I've essentially established my size but I think I need to lose a bit of.."posterior" weight before I can feel comfortable wearing guys pants all the time because if I buy pants that are oversized to avoid snugging, I look ridiculously awkward because I have a small upper half :P, I ran into an issue of the pants looking great from the front, but awkward from the back.

So I got two pairs, one fits great and one that's a bit more of a "if you can stick to excersizing, you can fit these prefectly in a couple of weeks" so that's really exciting..I need to try on a few different styles in different stores though.

As a previous male, I can give some tips that always worked for me as male.

Sizes are easy with men, too long/big doesn't matter much, the exception is: never too short/tight. :D

- lots of t-shirts (cannot have enough)

- sweaters (check, you got 'em)

- baggy pants (really nice)

- regular jeans (no tight fit, just square no curves)

- cargopants! (those rock!)

- set of longsleeves (preferably black or grey, dark colors)

- a ton of socks! really!

- cutting back on accessories, maybe just a wristwatch.

- leather jacket.

X

Sasha