• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Male Baldness?

Guest CharlesMonroe

Guest CharlesMonroe

Well, i was talking to my friend the other day, and he said i will definatly go bald from HRT. I do know a lot of transguys do go bald. What has been you guys' experiance with this? Is it actually a definate thing?

This might seem like a dumb topic, i know, but my friends managed to freak me out a bit. Seriously, he keeps making fun of me now. XD

Guest JayJaye

I haven't seen any male pattern baldness in my family. My dad has a receding hairline and a minor bald spot (not huge like some men) and he's 75. His brother (my uncle) has a full head of hair. I take after my dad so I assume I'll have the hairline and bald spot eventually. My brother is almost 40 with no baldness and no bald spot yet.

My ex's family had male pattern baldness. My FIL and one BIL. They looked very distinguished. My BIL went bald in his 20s. My ex's hair thinned and he has a bald spot. He's 46. His 2 other brothers have the bald spot happening but not pattern baldness.

Jay

Guest lorddillon

This is not a definite thing. It depends upon your genetics. Was your father bald? Did he have a receeding hair line? You will most likely follow your fathers patterning of hair loss or non-loss. If you were a cis-gendered male you would probably follow your mother's-father in terms of balding pattern, but since you are trans, you will most likely follow your own father, not your mother's. It depends solely on genetics at this point though.

And besides, many people think bald-ness is sexy - patrick stewart has a healthy following... :D

Guest StrandedOutThere

If people in your family are bald, yea...HRT will probably make you bald. If not, I don't think it will.

I guess the real question is whether the proportion of FTMs on HRT that go bald bigger than the proportion of the general male population that goes bald. I'm curious....

Guest CharlesMonroe

Thanks guys! I did say to my friend it was genetic, but he said its more likely to happen to a transman because of the higher doses we get in HRT to balance out the estrogen etc, at least up untill you have a hysto.

Well, my father has a somewhat receeding hairline, but he got that when he was 30 or so. My mums father still has all his hair at 65. Her brother on the other hand started going bald at 18 lol, but he took after the jewish strain and apparantly they were bald or something. I guess if its gentic it all just depends, but broadly speaking we dont have propensity in my family for MPB.

Yeah, the real question here is are we more likely to go bald than the general population? Has anyone got any statistics? I remember reading it was something like 40% of transguys go bald, but knowing me im probably completely wrong. :rolleyes:

Guest StrandedOutThere
Thanks guys! I did say to my friend it was genetic, but he said its more likely to happen to a transman because of the higher doses we get in HRT to balance out the estrogen etc, at least up untill you have a hysto.

Well, my father has a somewhat receeding hairline, but he got that when he was 30 or so. My mums father still has all his hair at 65. Her brother on the other hand started going bald at 18 lol, but he took after the jewish strain and apparantly they were bald or something. I guess if its gentic it all just depends, but broadly speaking we dont have propensity in my family for MPB.

Yeah, the real question here is are we more likely to go bald than the general population? Has anyone got any statistics? I remember reading it was something like 40% of transguys go bald, but knowing me im probably completely wrong. :rolleyes:

Wow...if it is 40% of transguys, then I think that might be higher than the general population. I read somewhere that the rate for men is close to 1 in 4, or 25%. In the world I live in, it seems to be higher than that. Nearly all of my male friends are going to be bald eventually...like 3 out of 4. The thing is that pretty much everyone's hair thins out when they get older. Since male pattern baldness is X-linked (you get it from your mom)...then worry about your mom's side of the family. Now, here's an interesting bit to think about. When Wikipedia is talking "male pattern baldness" is X-linked, they are referring to only bioguys who have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome. We transguys (unfortunately) have two X chromosomes. This could be good or bad depending on how baldness is coded for. On one hand, if you inherit a "bad gene" that codes for baldness, you have another copy of it to cancel it out - something bioguys don't have. On the other hand, if you just need one dominant allele (not sure if this is the right term here, I'm not a bio person)...then we are screwed because we have two chances to get one from an X chromosome. Okay...so this may make no sense. I'm just rambling because I don't want to go back to writing my paper. :P

Check it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_baldness

Gotta love Wikipedia.

Okay, another source says:

This is an extremely common disorder that affects roughly 50% of men and perhaps as many women older than 40 years. As many as 13% of premenopausal women reportedly have some evidence of androgenetic alopecia. However, the incidence increases greatly in women following menopause, and, according to one author, it may affect 75% of women older than 65 years.

Source: http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic21.htm

What can I say? I really am a dork. I love being nerdy.

Guest Drew

that's not actually true. most guys are given what would be considered 'normal' T levels in a bio-male. it all depends on genetics, if men in your family are bald, you'll probably be bald. if not, you probably won't be.

Guest Draik

GREAT this kinda freaks me out now because all three of my uncles and my dad are going bald so I guess when and if i start T i'm gonna go bald. That makes me feel so much better <_<

Guest CharliTo

well...there's always rogaine if it starts thinning out =) Make sure you check w/ your doctor first though since I'm sure it needs some kinda precaution w/ HRT. X-D

Guest CharlesMonroe

Wow, thanks for the info StrandedOutThere. Im a really big geek don't worry lol. Its interesting to think about it, really. It could well be that us having xx chromosomes increases our chances; its quite likely actually. Luckily, i dont have particularly bad MPB on either side of my family, except for this particular jewish strain, which i dont seem to take after at all. It would be funny if that turned out to be the only way i did take after them XD

CharliTo, what is rogaine?

Guest CharliTo

It's a nifty topical medication that helps prevent any more male balding and help grow new ones...I used to see my dad use it while he was around. It was kinda popular when it first came back in the early 90's. You can easily google it up.

There are side effects like other things as this one affects hormones I believe...so either way, check with a doctor. =)

Guest StrandedOutThere
Wow, thanks for the info StrandedOutThere. Im a really big geek don't worry lol. Its interesting to think about it, really. It could well be that us having xx chromosomes increases our chances; its quite likely actually. Luckily, i dont have particularly bad MPB on either side of my family, except for this particular jewish strain, which i dont seem to take after at all. It would be funny if that turned out to be the only way i did take after them XD

CharliTo, what is rogaine?

No problem. I like to be helpful.

Yeah, no one has studied MPB in people with two X chromosomes. I'm thinking it might increase our chances. With guys, they always say you inherit baldness from your mother's side, but that's just because your only X chromosome comes from there if you are a bioguy. If you are a transguy then you could inherit baldness from either side...double trouble.

As for me, full heads of hair all around...so I'm probably good either way. My dad is always running his fingers through his beautiful hair...he's like 57 and proud to still have it.

hmm, if having two x chromosomes increases our chances, then I don't like my chances of keeping all my hair. My dad, for as long as I can remember, has had a bald spot right in the middle of his head.

Guest JayJaye

There's always Hair Club for Men...

I figure I need to present male to the world. If that means hair loss on my head, so be it. Just give me the dang hormones...

LOL

Jay

Guest raydub
There's always Hair Club for Men...

I figure I need to present male to the world. If that means hair loss on my head, so be it. Just give me the dang hormones...

LOL

Jay

quoted for truth!!!

:lol:

woot!

Ray

Guest StrandedOutThere

Ever since this post, I have so been obsessing about hair loss. So far I have basically gone through my entire family tree on both sides and looked for traces of baldness. My paternal grandfather has been bald since he was 16, but other than that I'm good. Yeah, male pattern baldness is a sure-fire way to present as male. Still, I have inherited dad's vain streak...I wanna look my best when I get my body sorted. Aaaah...the vanity.

Guest Jack Solomon
Ever since this post, I have so been obsessing about hair loss. So far I have basically gone through my entire family tree on both sides and looked for traces of baldness. My paternal grandfather has been bald since he was 16, but other than that I'm good. Yeah, male pattern baldness is a sure-fire way to present as male. Still, I have inherited dad's vain streak...I wanna look my best when I get my body sorted. Aaaah...the vanity.

Yeah, it's a concern of mine, too. I really want to keep my hair thick. Luckily, most of my family has pretty good hair except for one uncle who has had moderate patchiness (the beginnings of a bald spot) since his forties. My father has pretty good, full hair overall (slight, gradual thinning by late forties). We're more predispositioned towards premature greying than loss, thankfully, and tiny shots of grey I don't mind.

On my mother's side they have pretty good hair as well, just some mild thinning. I recently saw my mother's brother and I was impressed at how good his hair looked. Definately a striking grey (not just ordinary grey but a very striking blue-ish grey), and well-groomed, with very minimal thinning.

My doctor during my visit earlier this week brought up Male Pattern Baldness just so I would be aware of it (which I already was), but she basically said I shouldn't worry about it too much if most of the males in my family show minimal hair loss before middle-age. Still, I worry a little that I might experience more thinning earlier than my father or something. Hair loss stay away!

Solomon

Guest J-Walker

If you're afraid because your father is bald don't be. The person you should be looking at is the grandfather on your mother's side. Male baldness is a sex-linked genetic disease passed on the X chromosome. Bio men inherit this from their mothers as they only have one X chromosome. Bio women can have male pattern baldness assuming that their father has it and their mother is a carrier for it. I assume you're not completely recessive because if you were, you'd have noticed. XP

Anyway, the best thing to do is just to go for it. If your hair isn't something you're willing to sacrifice for hormones then I wouldn't start. Definately talk to a counselor (Gender and genetic) before permenantly deciding anything.

• 7 months later...
Guest Linus Thomas

Sorry for bumping but I didn't want to create another thread when this discussion already existed.

If you're afraid because your father is bald don't be. The person you should be looking at is the grandfather on your mother's side. Male baldness is a sex-linked genetic disease passed on the X chromosome. Bio men inherit this from their mothers as they only have one X chromosome. Bio women can have male pattern baldness assuming that their father has it and their mother is a carrier for it. I assume you're not completely recessive because if you were, you'd have noticed. XP

Anyway, the best thing to do is just to go for it. If your hair isn't something you're willing to sacrifice for hormones then I wouldn't start. Definately talk to a counselor (Gender and genetic) before permenantly deciding anything.

Right. It is based on your maternal grandmother. I was curious as to the rate of loss that some might have experienced. I'm not bothered by the loss (it's started -- I've been finding 3-6 hairs a day on my pillow, in my hat and sometimes in my hand when I run my fingers through my hair). My uncles were all bald by their mid-30s. Since I'm in my late 30s, I'm wondering if it's going to be accelerated.

Guest Elizabeth K

:P Guys - read what J-Walker wrote.

Medical science - but basically - look at your maternal grandfather.. Your mother carries the bald gene. If your paternal father was a cue-ball don't mean a thing. Uncles - mother's side only.

Ten hairs a day on your pillow, comb or brush - NORMAL.

Seeing the dog is sheading, then realizing you don't have a dog? TROUBLE

Well I really don't know anything about my bio family 'caouse I'm abdopted. But what I've been noticed is that b4 T my hair was really thick and I had a low hair line, since I've started taking T my hair line has recided a bit and my hair doesn't grow as fast. I don't mind though 'cause now I save money at the barber shop. Now I go every two weeks and b4 I went twice a week. Just like Jay-Jay said I need to present male in the world. So be it. Besides some girls like it.

I think my hairline changed but in what direction it went I really aint sure ! It still grows as fast as it did -10- days and I need a haircut but the consistency has changed. It used to be hyper course now it feels much smoother to the touch. I got this one haircut like a month ago and it was downright "silky". Which was an act of God almost lol cuz mine was like course brambles that might draw blood :P This time tho, its just "regular". I think that barber did something "unusual".

Listen guys,

Enough about the baldness - you need to be men and some men go bald - think of it as 100% passing! :D

I was born with a very high hairline - people think that I am loosing my hair - it is a major difficulty for me to make my hair stay in a feminine style because it is so baby fine. Hormones are very cruel in what they will and won't do! :angry:

They will make FTMs go bald (if it is in their genetic makeup) :(

But they won't stop facial hair for MTFs! :angry:

So it is another thing for us gender gifted to deal with. :)

By the way, have any of you considered going for the Patrick Stewart look? A lot of women find him very sexy! :blush:

And if you can manage that voice.... :wub:

Love ya all with or without hair!

Sally

I forgot to give you a quote, from the great Gene Roddenberry.

When asked why he cast a bald man as Captain of the Enterprise, after all won't they have found a cure for baldness by then - his response was, "I hope that by then we will have learned not to care."

Having a blonde moment - far too young for a senior moment.

Just Sally

Guest Linus Thomas

LOL.. well, I kinda like my white "shock" I have but have no issues losing it. I think I'll be able to stay distinguished. I did find it funny that I'll lose it on top but grow it EVERYWHERE else. :P

And ya. I don't think it's fair for MTFs to not regain hair lost. :(