• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Funny Moments

Guest ranse

Guest ranse

Note to mods: If this should be posted in a different forum, please feel free to move it.

Since so much of the transition process can be hard on us and our loved ones emotionally, physically, and mentally, I thought it might be good to have a place to share some of the things about transitioning that are funny. The ability to laugh at some of this and have a sense of humor about the circumstances in which we find ourselves will help us make it through. Having a bit of grace under pressure during awkward moments can be a big part of being accepted as ourselves.

This is not a big moment, but it did make me smile. My son and I were taking a walk and I said something about transman, and he started humming the Batman theme, "Duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh, Transman!"

Guest ranse

Ranse,

That brightened my whole day. Thank you. you son sounds adourable. I love kiddos.

april

The other day there were a group of kids and parents at the playground behind our apartment and the youngest wanted to go out, but I was studying. The oldest looked out the window and saw the diverse group (we live in an area with a big international population) and he said, "Go on out there; you have to represent the transgender parents of the neighborhood." Admittedly, he was just trying to get out of having to take his little brother to the playground, but he uses humor to his best advantage.

Guest EvenClose

My g/f was getting dressed for a shopping trip. She goes into the closet to grab a pair of activewear pants. Comes out and continues getting dressed....UNTIL..the pants didn't fit. She couldn't get them on and at that moment she looked at me and realized they were not hers....Priceless.

my transition has had quiet a few funny moments. but the two that stick out in my mind the most are my first endo visit , and the first time my oldest niece noticed something was up .

the endo visit: my sister went with me to my first endo appointment . waiting in the room we chit chatted back and fourth. joking about various things, when Dr cavagan came in she glanced at us both , she walked up to my sister , and goes " Hello Jennifer. i'm doctor Cavagan and stuck out her hand to shake misty's " my sister recoiled . with this look of shock. and pointed at me . the Dr turned and looked at me. then back at my sister . then down at her clip board then back at me." your jennifer ? " she shook my hand looking really embarassed and goes "... you are here for hormone replacment therapy ?" , the whole time my sister was giving me the if looks could kill look. after we we're walking out to the car, soon as we hit that parking garage i busted out laughing...then i took off running , with my sister in hot pursuit . i beat her to the car . while trying to get in i hear something jingling... it was my sister with the car keys. i remembered then that she had drove. so i hung my head walked over to her , and let he punch me in the arm ( red neck sisters ) ... still a story i like reminding her about lol

then there is my niece. when i came out she was like 5. her my younger niece and my sister were living with me , so keeping it a hidden from them was not an option, when i started dressing the part my niece didn't even notice. not a second look or anything . one night as we often had done . me and my niece were watching spongebob square pants together ( her favorite show at the time ) sitting on the sofa , she climbed up in my lap , and went to lay back against my chest. some thing she had done a hundred times before, but this time she laid back , then suddenly set up, her head snapped around then down at my chest, she grabbed my top and look down it, and with this funny grin, she goes " you have boozies !!!" i didn't know what to say. my sister who was on the other sofa didn't know what to say. so from then on out , for about 3 months, she went around singing " uncle * sakuras male name* has booooozies " .... cute and annoying at the same time.

*sigh* you gotta love those awkwardly funny moments in life

Sakura

Guest Lacey Lynne

Sakura:

Ohhh, mmmyyy, GOD!

Like, LMFAO!

This story, especially about your then-younr niece, TOTALLY made my day! Totally! I just LOVE it!

Your transition has gone splendidly, it seems to me. Saw your pics in the galler. Let's just say God has been good to you! ;)

Everybody:

Thanks! What a great thread. Reading it during lunch hour on the job on a Saturday afternoon. What a WONDERFUL respite and relief from heart attacks, strokes, cancer, dying, amputations, etcetera.

Appreciate it muchly!

:lol: Lacey

Guest Lacey Lynne

Ranse:

Hey, man, you're probably too young to remember the "Batman" TV show with Adam West in the mid-1960s. God, I loved that silly show. Still do! Well, if you possibly can, get on cable TV sometime and check out the opening song ... and imaging those words.

Yeehi!

Peace Out, Man :lol: Lacey Lynne

Guest ranse

Hey everybody: Thanks so much for posting these great stories. It really does help to lighten things up when we feel overwhelmed.

Sakura, those are great stories. Sounds like your family is good and supportive.

EvenClose, that's funny. You two have to buy your stuff in different colors to avoid confusion.

Lacey, I grew up with reruns of the Adam West Batman. That was such a great campy show. The comic-book style "Pow" and "Kaboom" over the screen during the fight scenes, Cesar Romero as Joker, Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar were always stunning. And that Batmobile with the red leather seats was the bomb.

Guest ranse

An old friend called to talk about the coming out letter I'd sent and she said, "Dude, I have to apologize for something. I was reading your letter and," then there was a pause, "and, man, I'm so sorry I made you--a guy--wear a dress at my wedding."

Guest N. Jane

Funny moments? Yes, it helps to have a sense of humour even decades later.

Being 30-some years post-op and approaching 60 my doctor and I were discussing my health care and wasn't sure if I had a prostrate or if there would be anything left of it after all this time so she suggested a PSA test just to be safe so I took the requisition to the lab to have the test done. While I waited in the examining room I could not help but hear parts of the conversation between the two female lab techs in the back room, "What would she need THIS for?", "Call her doctor.", "I am NOT going to ask her - YOU ask her!". Finally a different tech came in and asked me if I knew what the PSA test was for. I said I did, and she asked me if there was some reason my doctor would order it. I told her why and she just stared at me with that deer-in-the-headlights look. When she left the room, I just chuckled.

Some 30-years post I met a cousin I hadn't seen since I was a teenager (and a rather effeminate supposed-to-be boy) but neither recognized the other for the longest time. When I finally realized THIS must be my cousin, I said "My you have changed!" He backed up a couple of steps, looked me up and down, and broke into laughter before he managed to stammer "And you say I have changed!!!" Okay, he had a point.

I'm so new to this whole thing my experience was one I was sure I would run into.

I was at the local deli getting some lunch meat and standing in line. I was playing with my iPhone like usual and not paying attention as the lined moved up. I heard the guy behind the counter, "ma'am... Excuse me, miss..." on and on for about 30 seconds before I realized I was dressed as Nova. Oops!

Of course that wouldn't happen now because I'm used to it, but that day it caught me off guard. :)

Nova

Guest CariadsCarrot

LOL thanks for this thread Ranse. The stories are great everyone. It's good to remember there are those light hearted moments at the moment when I'm struggling some.

Between my partner and I and our kids there are a lot of humorous comments related to my gender and me transitioning but I'm not sure that I can remember any.

I'll try to remember some of them from now on.

Gabe

Guest ranse

Funny moments? Yes, it helps to have a sense of humour even decades later.

Being 30-some years post-op and approaching 60 my doctor and I were discussing my health care and wasn't sure if I had a prostrate or if there would be anything left of it after all this time so she suggested a PSA test just to be safe so I took the requisition to the lab to have the test done. While I waited in the examining room I could not help but hear parts of the conversation between the two female lab techs in the back room, "What would she need THIS for?", "Call her doctor.", "I am NOT going to ask her - YOU ask her!". Finally a different tech came in and asked me if I knew what the PSA test was for. I said I did, and she asked me if there was some reason my doctor would order it. I told her why and she just stared at me with that deer-in-the-headlights look. When she left the room, I just chuckled.

Some 30-years post I met a cousin I hadn't seen since I was a teenager (and a rather effeminate supposed-to-be boy) but neither recognized the other for the longest time. When I finally realized THIS must be my cousin, I said "My you have changed!" He backed up a couple of steps, looked me up and down, and broke into laughter before he managed to stammer "And you say I have changed!!!" Okay, he had a point.

Those are great stories.

Guest Donna Jean

...transitioning at work in a very male oriented job.....not out yet, but on HRT for over a year....

My co-workers didn't really notice the changes....

Customers would come in and the guys would come to my office and ask me to come to the counter to give technical help to the customer who would leave with a "Thank you, Ma'am!"....

My co-workers would then come to me and say..."Did you hear what that dude called you?"

Yup, I did.....lol

Donna Jean

Guest John Chiv

An old friend called to talk about the coming out letter I'd sent and she said, "Dude, I have to apologize for something. I was reading your letter and," then there was a pause, "and, man, I'm so sorry I made you--a guy--wear a dress at my wedding."

Now she gets it. Very happy for you dude :)

John

Guest Julie T

Children sometimes get a shock when we meet them.

Two years ago I went to my son's birthday and it was one of the first times I had been out in person to everyone, especially to some of the more remote relatives. One of the cousins my son has now, from his mother's second marriage, has a three going on four year old girl. She came up to me, and I was fully presenting, nails done and all. She asked, 'Are you a girl or a boy." I looked at her mom and her mom smiled, so I said, "I am a girl." So the little girl said, "Good," and then started showing me her pretty red polished nails. We were in the same 'girl-club.'

Last Christmas we all went to a beautiful light display festival, "Christmas in the Oaks." I am rather tall, and was walking through the children's side of the park, when a young boy, still a toddler really, ran up face to face to me, in the same path, well more face to kneecap. He looked-up and froze! His mom said "She's' tall isn't she." He smiled at me and then went around on his way.

Julie

Guest Sarah

2 years ago, right before I started living full-time, me and some friends went on a weekend renting a small house (me in male-mode).

On our way we took a break for lunch at a gas station. When I went to the bathroom and entered the men's room, the toilet lady told me: "Hey, that's the men's room!"

which I responded to with a confused look "I know..."

when I left I tried to avoid looking at her, but she was eyeing me suspiciously...

Before we left we all went for a bathroom break again, and she was looking at me with a smile, but with a look in her eyes like she's still not entirely convinced I'm in the right bathroom.

My friends and I had a good laugh about that ^^

Another one was when I was living fulltime for almost a year I think.

We were celebrating a friends birthday, and somewhere during the night I remembered my temporary letter for my new name until my ID was ready.

I showed it to my friends and they were congratulating me, but one of them aparantly didn't know about me, and asked why I would change my name.

We all stared at her, and then I told her my name used to be *insert male name here*. "Well I can understand that! what kind of parents name their daughter M*?"

We all stared at her again, with mouths slightly agape... "Uhm they named me that because I used to be a guy." I told her. She just looks confused for a moment, but then finally she realizes and let's out a yell of surprise. everyone was laughing saying "finally!" She was still coming down a little from the shock when I lowered my voice to a definite male range and said I can talk like this if she wants. but that made her jump up and let out a small yell again in surprise not expecting that either. It took a little while for her to come over the shock and the rest to stop laughing.

but in the end everything was fine ^^

Guest ranse

Sarah: you're a great storyteller. I could hear the girl yelping in surprise.

Julie: We were in the same 'girl-club.' Classic.

I was at the deli last weekend and bought lunchmeat and the woman said "do you need anything else M-, ir?" She wasn't sure what to say, so she morphed me into a "mir," which is fine by me. Better than "ma'am" or "miss."

Guest Miss_Construe

Ranse: I like 'Mir' a LOT more than the 'zie/hir' stuff GLSEN promotes. Zie/hir sound like alien words, not gender pronouns o-0

For a lark I conjugated the work 'spork' into a gender duality pronoun, sort of to differentiate between those who claim both genders and those who reject both. spir, spur, spirs :lol:

One story I have is a bathroom story: I was coming out of the men's room and this poor girl sees me come out. I smile and wave since I feel a bit uncomfortable but it was a very pleasant interaction. She stand upright as she was bent over the drinking fountain I wanted to use next. She smiled and we passed. Seems she needed to use the rest room as she almost entered the men's room I was using, stopped and looked at the door, looked at me, looked at the door again, then back at me. With wide eyes and through quiet laughter I muttered an apology as she moved to the Women's room. To make matters worse (for this poor confused lass) my voice was quite female at the time too. Her face was priceless. She clearly couldn't figure the situation out but never seemed to think any less of me. Her face just seemed to say "you are an enigma."

I was in a Target Superstore as my true self, including some added help in the chest region. Okay... there are two stories here. 1) A child about 5 years old saw me and thought I was his father (who I think I ran into later ...). The first encounter was a little hard, but other times the child would always be happy to see me (still thinking I was his father of course) but hey, I could make the child smile. 2) I was shopping for some clothes, window shopping more or less, and another small child was with his mommy. "It looks like you mommy." Most kiddos just don't know how to gender me or go to female, save my 'son'. His mom is beautiful so maybe ... (jk).

April