• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Introduction-Better late than never :)

Guest Carla_Davis

Guest Carla_Davis

Introduction -Better late than never!

My name is Carla

I am a MTF PreOp Transsexual woman living alone in Brooklyn, NY. I started Full-Time transitioning and HRT in 2008. Couldn't afford SRS sooner because I am only receiving SS and Pension. Hope to have my surgery soon.

I was a Technology Teacher till my retirement and in addition a Police Officer, FireFighter and an Emergency Medical Technician.

I enjoy talking to new people, making new friends, helping people and also offering any help I can to transgender women who are just starting their WONDERFUL JOURNEY.

My own JOURNEY lasted over 40 years until I finally "Came-Out" and "Transitioned". I am VERY proud of my journey and enjoy discussing it with friends.

Even though I lost my whole family when I came-out, I couldn't be HAPPIER.

Previously, I was shy and had few friends, today I am very outgoing and friendly and have so many more TRUE friends that I never imagined would Happen.

All my life, I was always very shy and also could not look at myself in the mirror because I hated myself so much. I dressed poor, had poor hygiene and even chewed my fingers till they bled. I also had suicidal tendencies because I hated who I saw in the mirror.

I was hospitalized on numerous occassions in Psych. Hospitals for Depression.

Once I Came-Out, I began to love MYSELF. My hygiene improved, I dress better and more attractive, Look forward to seeing myself in the mirror while putting on my make-up even thought I could use some improvement. I also enjoy doing my own Mani's and Pedi's. I find it VERY relaxing. My WHOLE personality changed for the BETTER. I also enjoy when I dress up to go out. I dress very well.

I tell people that I "dress the way I feel" and I feel VERY HAPPY TODAY.

I also lost a lot of weight going from 265 lbs to 175 lbs in 3 months after my SRS surgeon required that I weigh less than 200lbs. I kept it off since 2008. Today I am 6' 175 lbs. My waist went from 48" down to 38".

I was also an Insulin Dependent Diabetic, prior to loosing all my weight my BGL was >650. Today it is between 85-95 without any meds. I keep myself in shape by doing all my own cooking, don't eat fast foods or frozen foods. I only eat HEALTHY foods. The only exercise I do is I try to walk whenever possible. I also avoid eating snacks and/or JUNK foods.

I also have to thank the compassionate residents of BOTH NYC and NYS for allowing me to “Come-Out & Transition” safely. I got rid of my car and use mass transit exclusively which also played a large part in my SAFE transition. The more I went out, and I didn’t pass well at the time, and I was NEVER discriminated in public my confidence and self-esteem increased to what it is today. I was so happy by the way I was treated in public I even sent letters to the Gov. of NYS, and the Mayor of NYC thanking them and the public for treating me BETTER THAN MY OWN FAMILY. They both replied back to me.

I suffered Major Depression from GID NEEDLESSLY, for over 40 years because neither my doctors or family would listen to me. I received ECT on 3 different occassions by my Psychiatrists to cure my Depression. The ONLY thing that CURED my DEPRESSION was when I finally Came-Out and Transitioned. ALL my problems went away.

My "Coming-Out" and "Transition" was the most Beautiful and Wonderful events in my life

Hoping to meet some new friends.

Carla

• Root Admin

Hello Carla,

Welcome to Laura's Playground. Wow! Looks like you been there, done that and came out on top. Congratulations. :)

MaryEllen

Guest miss kindheart

Hi Carla,
<<< hug >>>
Welcome to Laura's Playground.
Please feel free to come over and chat sometime.
The Chat room does require another registration that is separate from from your forums one.
Please read the chat room rules before coming in, and expect a short interview with one of the chat room moderators.
One of the things that they will ask you is if you read the rules. :)
We have MTF meetings-Mon & Sat 9pm est, and you are welcome to attend.
We all look forward to seeing you.
:wub: vanna

Guest MaybeLeslie

Hello Carla, glad to have you with us. I like your story happy ending :D I look forward to hearing more from you and welcome to the playground.

Much <3,

Leslie

Guest KimberlyF

I also lost a lot of weight going from 265 lbs to 175 lbs in 3 months after my SRS surgeon required that I weigh less than 200lbs. I kept it off since 2008. Today I am 6' 175 lbs. My waist went from 48" down to 38".

Welcome to LP. These are amazing numbers. A pound a day average! You should share your method on the weight loss board.

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Kimberely,

I DO NOT recommend my method of loosing all my weight.

I became Anorexic and refused to eat or ate very little and lived on water.

Thanks for your reply,

Carla :thumbsup:

• Admin

Welcome to the Playground, Carla. I hope you find all that you need here, and I appreciate all the effort you've been putting into providing education and information to the members.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Hello Carla and welcome to the Playground.

Please, if you haven't done so already, scroll down the page and look for a Terms and Conditions. We ask all new members to read and have an understanding of the Playground's rules for posting. Laura's is a moderated website. All posts are read first by a moderated and if it conforms to the rules of the site, it becomes approved for viewing by the rest of the membership. It helps keep the trolls and admirers off the site. We have a diverse membership that range in age from teens to sexy retired persons such as yourself. We ask that you keep in mind that we try to keep the discussions in good taste and suitable for all age groups.

We have a chat site available that does require that you sign up for a separate log in to use. Please check it out. We offer special topics at different days and times and after you have created a log in, you are welcome to join in. So Carla, look around, get your feet wet, and jump right in. Nobody bites around here. Well maybe they nibble a little. BTW my name is Kathryn and welcome to Laura's.

Guest Carla_Davis

Welcome to LP Carla.

Thank you for your impressive introduction.

I wish you peace and success on your continued journey.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Thank you Joann for your kind words.

I AM HAPPIER today than EVER in my life.

I enjoy talking about my SAFE transition and I hope that I can inspire other just staring their WONDERFUL & BEAUTIFUL journey.

This site has been WONDERFUL to me.

I used to visit it often in the past, but ONLY recently did I decide to join as a member.

One of the BEST things I ever did.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Again, thanks for your kind words.

Carla

Welcome to Laura's, Carla. It's wonderful when we accept and love ourselves. It makes all the difference in the world.

Congratulations on your transition. The new life you have now can be better than the one you once lived. I answered your

message earlier.

:D

Guest MichellePetite

Hi Carla,

Welcome to the Playground, it is always gratifying to read of others positive experiences and outcomes.

It serves to inspire one to greater things.

LnK

Michelle

• 1 year later...

Hello Carla :) !

Huggles! I have to admit that I was wandering aimlessly, doing so without much ambition. I'm so glad we connected, and it is very lovely here. Home can be many places. Friends and loved ones can be anyone if you let them in. It's hard to hug someone with armor on. Being vulnerable can also mean being open to the very thing you thought you were afraid of, but in truth it is the very thing you need. Thank you.

Dana :)

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Dana,

Thank you for trusting me when I referred you here :wub:

I am also glad that we connected :thumbsup:

Hopefully, with time here you will be able to hug some people,if only virtually.

I hope that being in this SAFE Website, will cause you too feel less vulnerable.

You have experienced so much trauma, and it will take time to recover from that.

I also occasionally experience PTSD, when I talk about or visit, The LGBT Community Center of NYC.

Realizing how close I was to ending my life, because my family wanted me dead, and then to have strangers provide me with more Love and Support than my own family.

I am so happy to be alive today, because of them :wub:

Recently, I visited The Center, and I was talking to a staff member, when I started to cry.

I sent them an email and apologized for crying.

They handled it very well, and told me not to be embarrassed about it.

I am even getting teary eyed just writing this.

I guess I can call this "Good" PTSD. :)

I still get very emotional about that.

Finally, Dana, I am very Happy that you are using :) a couple of times in your message :thumbsup:

I wish you Continued Success and Happiness in your Journey.

(((((Hugs,)))))

Carla

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LesleyAnne

Hi Carla,

better late than never........but I'm so glad to know you, and to have you as a true friend. I wish you continued happiness.

You are an inspiration to many of us here at Laura's. Thank You!

Guest Carla_Davis

Thank you for all of your comments. :wub:

It was a shock to see this Post come back up, as I posted it on April 16,2014.

Like the saying goes about the Internet, once you post something,it is out forever. LOL

I am eagerly looking forward to Post #2000.

It is actually part of my personal therapy, as I feel very good volunteering to help others.

Finally, the 2 years that I volunteered at “My Center”, were the 2 Happiest years of my life.

I met so many great Gay Men, Lesbian Women, and Transgender people, BOTH, Staff, and Patrons, and I got so many hugs.

Something as small as a hug, made be feel so good, after my family could not accept Me as ME, and I felt alone, helpless, and hopeless.

It only takes one person that cares about you, to make it easier to want to live. I was blessed that at “My Center”, I had an ARMY of people supporting me.

I cannot thank them enough. :wub:

Since Then, The Center (My Center) was gracious enough to allow me to attend the Center Training Institute Workshops, so that I could be of better assistance here, and to the LGBT Community.

The Center Training Institute offers specialized training sessions for professionals who work with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in the New York City Area.

I finally received my Trans-Care Certificate of Achievement from the LGBT Community Center of NYC, Center Training Institute on April 7, 2014.

I had to complete both Trans Core Modules and at least one elective from the Trans Care training curriculum. I have taken all 8 courses available

Trans Care Basics: Building skills for working with transgender people

LGBTQ Families

Substance Abuse & The LGBT Community

Suicide Prevention Among LGBTQ Youth

Trans Care: Practice (Mental Health) An overview of transgender identity-development and clinical concerns.

Immigration Basics for Providers Working with LGBT Immigrants
LGBT Health Care: Introduction to Psychoparmacology
Cancer Care is for EveryBODY: Cancer Care Basics for Lesbian,Bisexual Women and Transgender People.

Since my Coming-Out, I have become an Advocate about educating people about transgender individuals, and I am very proactive about reducing/preventing Suicide after my own personal experience.

Stay Happy, Healthy, and Safe.

Love,

Carla

This is my new outlook on life, after My Center saved my life from Suicide.

There comes a time when you must decide, what is more important, MY happiness or pleasing others?

All it takes is one person who cares about you, to make it easier to want to live.

If I wake up in the morning, it is a good day no matter how the rest of the day goes.

If your friends do not accept you, they were not True Friends

Suicide is a Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem.

You never fully appreciate life until you almost lose it.

When one door closes, another opens.

I Love NY :wub: