• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Two Asian-centric Hair Questions

Guest Kristian

Guest Kristian

So... I asked the first of these already in an FtM chat on Friday, but I figured I'd repost it here along with my other question.

Anyway, as you can probably guess from the title, I'm Asian, so the usual FtM hair advice has not worked at all for me. I look too butch lesbian and stand out compared to a lot of Asian guys nowadays who have somewhat longer hair. I got good advice thus far: (1) layered two or three-inches around, (2) blond highlights, (3) shorter on the sides longer on the top with gel, but I've been having a hard time figuring out how to exactly describe these when in the chair. I currently can't pass at all, and whoever's doing my hair always seems to 'feminize' by accident, so I figured the more specific I could be, or maybe if I even bring a picture, the better chances I'll prevent this from happening. I was also given the suggestion to go for a free consultation, but from the bit I've looked, I have yet to discover the existence of a 'free' one in my area, so I think that may be out. I'm pretty broke.

My second question has to do with legs. Sadly, I don't have much hair on them at all, with the whole Asian-thing and that's only compounded as I'm pre-anything. I've tried growing out for literally months, but it's so sparse (as in about 10-15 dark hairs total and all in a couple places) that I feel it almost makes me stand out more. Do other people think it would, too, or is this just me? Should I shave them off or would that be worse? Any advice for either of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guest jakoboi.

Heh, I know how you feel about the hair thing. I've tried showing hair dressers pictures and they still seem to disregard them. One of the approaches that worked for me was telling the hair dresser that I'm playing a guy in a play for school and I need this cut the way you would do it ON A GUY.

I can't really help you with the leg thing. I guess for me, I had to stop thinking so much about what would allow me to pass, because I can't pass all that well anyway, but to think about what would seem right for me and make me more confident. Confidence is really what helps you to pass.

Someone else might be able to help you more, and welcome to the forums.

G.

Guest Kristian

Thanks a bunch. The whole play thing is a good idea, so I think I might try that. It's just cleaner than me trying to explain why I want a guy's cut and only getting blank stares/"Uh... wait... I don't know what you mean," and then having them do what they want, anyway. I mean, geez, do they need to understand it? Just cut the hair. Oh well. I guess it's natural for people to want answers.

And yeah, I know there's nothing I can really do about it. I guess I'm just wondering -since- there's nothing I can do, well... hah, what do I do? Which is more conspicuous: abnormally thin leg hair or no leg hair, you know? I suppose I'll have to act confident either way, though, so I should probably deal with that, too.

So no, you helped already. XDD Plays and confidence. I'll try them out, heh. Thanks for the welcome.

Guest raydub

I have Zero hair cut experience, since Ive always wanted long hair and finally got it and now refuse to cut it. I dont even think cutting it would help me pass as I have a "sweet" face (quote from my therapist - No, I didnt mind him saying.. its true :P ).

Leg hair ... I dont think the Asian guys I know have a lot of leg hair. Funnily enough, Ive heard one of them complain about it too (not having much - and it being sparse). Maybe youre right where youre supposed to be. :lol:

Confidence is always good advice. Welcome to the forums!

-Ray

Guest Kristian

raydub- Actually, I checked out your pic, and lucky you, long hair still works! xDD I could never pass with long hair, but fortunately, I don't like it, anyway. It used to be down past my derrierre, if you can imagine it, haha. Anyway, that's reassuring to know that even bioguys complain about this! Maybe I shouldn't worry if that's the case, lol. Thanks for the welcome!

harvester52- Yes! A second confirmation. That makes it seem better. Man, I am so jealous, though! I'd totally swipe some if I could. I doubt I'd see that much hair on my legs even if I was on t. Given where I am at the moment, I'd say about 1/8th would be realistic, if even that, lol.