• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Do You Sit And Walk Like A Girl?

Guest chibi_usa

Guest Emily.SoCal

Thanks for the input Kelly Ann! So what should be resting on top of knee of leg #1 -- the pit of the knee of leg #2 or the calf of leg #2? I find that the furthest I can go is so that my calf resting on top of the knee and that's what's uncomfortable. (Well, having everything bunch up in the crotch is kind of uncomfortable too, but that'll just have to be dealt with later. ;) ) My knee digs into my calf and I can't close my legs any further and the leg that's on top seems to really stick out. That is to say, my legs are far from parallel. I think maybe I'm just built too big or too overweight. :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• ChristianRay

Guest Kelly Ann

stay with me here Emily...I can get myself confused but hang with me here. There's the stationary leg "1" (left leg for this demo)...leg "2" (right leg) is above. For where it's comfy and neither leg goes to sleep even if I do...2 is bent and the kneebow-pit (we all need to make enough postings of THAT to have it become a word :P )never touches 1 and is about 1"behind the face of the patella (too lazy to get out my Gray's but it's the floating knee-bone as I remember)and the outside calf of 2 is resting on the outside thigh of 1. You can also put the kneebow-pit (I giggle on that) of 2 on 1 which makes for a little more pronounced sort of kick thats cool. As an alternative you can also take the inside of 2 and just rest it just over the inside of 1 which takes a little more muscle control but sill look s good...the whole ide is to NOT flash your knickers girls. So find whats comfortable, while keeping your legs and/or knees together. It keeps them guessing. Kelly Ann

Guest Felicia Anne
This is going to sound trite, but go rent (no... buy) a copy of the first "Princess Diaries" movie and fast-forward to the scenes where Julie Andrews is coaching Ann Hathaway on how to act like royalty. Then do that.

omg!!!!! i love that movie so much!!! watching the transformation of mia into a princess inspires me whenever i feel that i'll never be pretty... great advice christy!

Guest Emily.SoCal

Hey, Kelly Ann. Your instructions were clear and precise and I managed to do it... sort of. I got the input of a natal female friend of mine who happened to be by earlier and she could tell I was forcing it though. The verdict is I'm just, ahem, too anatomically challenged down below at the moment. :P Keep in mind my friend is an ex-girlfriend so she's privy to certain anatomical details about me. She said she was in a little pain just thinking about crossing her legs with what I carry around! XD That feel good to be able to laugh about it , but ugh, it also makes me want to start HRT, like, yesterday.

Guest Kelly Ann

ah well Emily...LOL...in the words of Winifred Churchill, "nevah 'ave so few put up with so much to accomplish so little." It's OK girl! Have you ever done much in the way of stretching exercises? THAT may be an issue if your muscles are too overly developed as it does take a tad bit of suppleness to do it without taking out somebodies jaw when you cross. Well If they are you can always cross your ankles together, feet on the floor, with the knees together too...in public anyhow, when your at home just try to make it as graceful as possible whatever you do because after all who's watching anyway :unsure: Keep on practicing girl, it does make semi-perfect, and then perfect...big hug, Kelly Ann

P.S. Do keep up the laughter and giggles it is so good for the soul :lol:

• 2 months later...
Guest Cericonversion

*gets out shovel, digs up old thread*

Thank you everyone for such very specific advice. I'd been peering somewhat confusedly at recommendations about gait and not quite getting it. Then I looked here...and had to keep getting up to try things out, and then the earlier advice came together. :)

Guest Little Sara

Sort of came naturally to me. I had NOT to think about it, or I affected it and it looked weird. Now that I just don't ever think about it, I walk and sit fine like a 'proper' girl.

Guest Neuro

As someone who has had to learn to walk as a man, I can tell you that switching a gate becomes second nature after a little practice. But it does need just that--practice!

Men generally walk 'lazier,' more side-to-side. It depends, but that is a casual walk for guys. Girls I have noticed, put one foot in front of the other; swinging it out a bit instead of just stomping. It makes the hips go back and forth, especially in heels it is a pleasingly feminine image. (womens shoes help, too.)

Most people swing their arms naturally (maybe?) but women seem to have their arms swinging more in tune with their legs as they walk, back and forth just slightly. If you have a purse or handbag, clutching onto that also helps. Standing up straight, but not broad-shouldered (like an airline pilot or military man) helps balance the look.

An overall look to feminine gate is like someone who LOOKS like they put so much effort putting thought into it--but doesn't have to. Like a dancer, or something. (So much work being a woman, oi; I don't know how you girls do it! XD)

And, like someone said above; crossing knees at the ankle I think is more feminine and delicate. <3

Guest Little Sara
An overall look to feminine gate is like someone who LOOKS like they put so much effort putting thought into it--but doesn't have to. Like a dancer, or something. (So much work being a woman, oi; I don't know how you girls do it! XD)

Like I said above, its something I had NOT to think about. It flows naturally.

Guest angie
Like I said above, its something I had NOT to think about. It flows naturally.

What I did was observe thousands of women...

I watched the way they walked,stood,held their head,hands and arms,crossed their legs.

Choosing what I wanted,then relentlessly practicing at home until it flowed together naturally.

GG's have asked me how I became so feminine acting so fluidly.Lots and lots of practice.

And the complete surrender to my natural inner femininty.It all counts>especially with natal women,for women observe (everything)about another women,head to toe.

Angie

Guest Little Sara

I watched the way they walked,stood,held their head,hands and arms,crossed their legs.

Choosing what I wanted,then relentlessly practicing at home until it flowed together naturally.

GG's have asked me how I became so feminine acting so fluidly.Lots and lots of practice.

And the complete surrender to my natural inner femininty.It all counts>especially with natal women,for women observe (everything)about another women,head to toe.

Angie

I observed facts, I observed people then said "screw that" and did it my way. That way I'm the real me, genuine and all. I don't need to put up a front for people. If they don't like how I do things, they can look elsewhere.

If "the real me" happens to be feminine, then so be it. I won't go further just to be recognized as female more (ie I very rarely use make-up for example).

Guest angie
If "the real me" happens to be feminine, then so be it. I won't go further just to be recognized as female more (ie I very rarely use make-up for example).

That is becoming comfortable in your own skin.

Most TS's after time in life as a woman,quit wearing heels and hose,unless going some where or on a date.Even putting on makeup daily,we just become everyday woman.When I first read about this

stage years ago,I thought ,uhhuh sure I will,but that day does happen,when you have to go somewhere and just go as you are.Comfortable in your own skin.

Angie

• 1 month later...
Guest shyheather

1 thing that will help if it is woman or a girl is to be comfortale it summer step light flowing skirts help with practice the skirt it will move with you easy to watch in a mirror sitting ankles crossed or pulled togetrer slightly to 1 side and under you standing in heels for long peroids 1 foot behind the other so you can shift your weight and rest one leg works in other shoes as well

sorry haven't posted in a will have family in for a lond extended stay due to car wreck that will wreck your nevres for but all is well now

bit off subject there

Guest Joanna Phipps

Angie

Get yourself a job where you can watch the customers and they dont mind, somthing like hotel front desk. Thats what I do for a living and you get to see hundreds of women in the course of a week. Ive noticed that the older Matronly types dont seem to have as much wiggle as the younger ones.

• 3 months later...
Guest Joanna Phipps
not so easy getting in/out of a car.

for the car i just put my butt on the seat and swing my legs in. I might have to lift my butt and adjust my skirt after I get in but hey it goes with the territory

Guest Kayliegh

Thanks Sally!

I'll be having lunch at the food court in my local mall tomorrow! :P

I know it's an old thread, but resurrecting some of these threads keeps us from asking the same questions again and again.

Love - Kayleigh

Guest AllisonD

There is tremendous value in the older threads here. After all, we are not the first to ask most of the questions that so many have asked and answered before.

Reading through the thread, I realize that I actually do most of what is suggested, and I have never really thought about it. I certainly do the straight line walk, always seem to have, at least since I started wearing heels. Also, a couple of years in heels will teach you automatically how to place your feet so that you don't wobble, and do wiggle, and your gait will also adjust automatically.

One of the neatest tricks about walking in heels is that you soon learn to automatically avoid the hazards in your path. You won't step with your heel into a crack, or catch an uneven paver or tile, many times before you automatically avoid such pitfalls. I think I read somewhere that heels are specifically designed to improve your posture, your gait, and your wiggle. I know it does work. And they make your legs look longer and more slender as well. I love them.

Allison

Guest NatalieRene
for the car i just put my butt on the seat and swing my legs in. I might have to lift my butt and adjust my skirt after I get in but hey it goes with the territory

If you do it right you look like you're fluttering right into the seat. It's almost like a graceful dance. When you can run up stairs in a skirt without the skirt flying up and revealing your shame then you mastered it. :lol:

Guest Joanna Phipps

I thing it was on this board where I read that men tend to walk with their feet parallel to an imaginary line, with women there is more a sense that the feet actually cross the path of travel. Not actually crossing like on the runways, but pointing the toes slightly in and allowing the natural swing of your hips to do the rest.

Guest nymphblossom

There is an excellent article on wikihow.com that I posted below but here's what I do.

Chest out, stomach in, fanny out, shoulders down, arms swinging freely with palms slightly out and elbows tucked close to body, head up, knees together, figure eight with the feet, swing your hips, concentrate on not moving your upper body and don't lead with your shoulders. Yes, I know, it takes a bit of practice, but my wife tells me I could be a runway model :)

Blossom

1. Make your posture relaxed, but construct. Pretend that your head is being pulled up by a hair on the crown of your head to elongate your neck, lift your chest, and allow your shoulders to fall back. Also, pretend that there is a string attached to your sternum (breastbone) that lifts your chest toward the sky to hold your ribcage up off of your pelvis and to pull your navel into your back.
  2. Repeat this to yourself in your head: chin up, neck long, shoulders back, chest out, abs tight, pelvis forward, and buttocks tight. At first you may feel that you are leaning back a little and you should be able to feel pressure and length in the small of your back (i.e. the lumbar area of your back which curves between your ribcage and pelvis). Stand tall and breathe calmly through your nose.
  3. Make a conscious but discreet effort to arrange your body as slightly pigeon-toed (i.e. toes pointing forward and inward and heels outward) and slightly knock-kneed (i.e. knees bent and pointing forward and inward and hips outward) and slightly knock-elbowed (i.e. elbows bent and pointing backward and inward to meet behind your spine and bent wrists outward). Let your arms hang with your elbows bent. Your wrists should fall near to the back of your thighs. This stance enhances stability, flexibility and places emphasis on the ultimate feminine attribute (i.e. curvaceous hips).
  4. Routinely loosen up your ribcage and your pelvis in isolation with side-to-side vertical circles, forward-backward vertical circles, and horizontal circles to optimize the slenderness of your waist (i.e. the circumference of your torso between your ribcage and pelvis) and to allow your body to function smoothly like a lithe and sinuous dancer.
  5. Always have confidence and be fully present in your body. Allow your soul to come out from your eyes, relax your jawline, relax your lips to form an ideal shape. Focus sharply on the present moment, on your personal performance, and on your immediate surroundings (i.e. focus exclusively on one moment at a time, one breath at a time, and one step at a time, as you are immersed in your environment). Present the best possible you in each and every present moment.
  6. Place each leg directly in front of the other leg, the way a cat does. The majority of weight shifts should occur near your center of gravity, which is between your thighs and belly button. Aim for your footprints to form a single line as if you are walking on tightrope. This motion dictates the extent to which your hips and arms swing. Keep your head and shoulders relatively still as your body moves and try to appear as though you are walking into the wind to push your shoulders back and force your pelvis to lead you forward.
  7. Take all steps to the inside edge of the ball of the foot, maintaining a bent knee, and then slightly lowered to the flat of the foot (i.e. ball-flat footwork), to make the steps feel and look like you are pushing into the floor. Synchronize the motion of each bent knee with that of the ball of the foot below it for greater control. Alternatively, you can instead synchronize the motion of each bent knee with that of the heel of the foot below it if you prefer to execute a heel-to-toe strut.
  8. Make your strides more or less pronounced by lifting your legs boldly or subtly in the same manner as a horse trot. Lift your foot a moderate distance off the ground with your knee bent, and then place it down a moderate distance in front of the supporting leg. As a knee bends, the same hip drops (and causes the other hip to rise), and as a knee straightens, the same hip rises (and causes the other hip to drop). If you wish to add a bounce in your walk, do it by making complete weight changes (i.e. allow each hip to abruptly drop when you bend and raise the knee on the same side of your body as your weight is transferred to your hip from the foot below it).
  9. Move as little as possible when performing practical or enticing actions. For example, if you wish to look over at something or someone, move your eyes first until they cannot move any more, then move your head, then your torso and adjust your lower body last and only when necessary. Always return to your most relaxed state and never maintain a tense position.
  10. Appear inviting even when you stand still. Arrange your left foot slightly in front of your right foot (your left knee should be slightly bent), and these toes should point forward and slightly inward with only some of your weight bearing on the ball of this foot. Your right foot should be almost directly behind your left foot and turned to the right to be perpendicular to it, and these toes should point to your right and slightly inward with most of your weight bearing on the ball of this right foot. Attempt to gently bend your knees toward each other to exude more panache. Additionally, your body should be turned to position your right elbow behind your right hip, and you should delicately turn your head toward your nearest shoulder (i.e. your left shoulder) to complete the pose.

Tips

• It is normal for the head and spine to subtly tilt forward and then to the backward-right side or backward-left side with each stride.
  • Contra-body action refers to the natural tendency of the ribcage and pelvis to move in opposite directions when a person walks. The natural walking action of humans is for the right arm and shoulder to move backward as the right leg moves forward, and conversely, for the left arm and shoulder to move backward as the left leg moves forward. However, you should try to keep your shoulders still and your elbows positioned just behind your pelvis for more freedom of movement. Further, you should only allow each shoulder blade (i.e. scapula) to subtly fall backward, downward and inward along with the bent elbow on the same side of your body so as to contradict the alternating forward, upward and inward motion of your lower body.
  • Keep your hands open with your fingers nearly totally straightened. Pretend as though you are gently holding a feather from a seagull in each hand and keep all movements fluid.
  • Walk slightly slower. Everything done just a little slower looks graceful and sexy.
  • Walk to the beat of a song. It keeps your steps even. But don't make it too slow. After listening to a few songs, you should be able to find a good one.

http://www.wikihow.com/Walk-Like-a-Diva

Guest Joanna Phipps
One of the things I noticed.. being a sound engineer I notice these things, was the different sound women make while walking. Men walk rather heel-toe and heavy.. stomp stomp.. women announce.. the clack of heels, every footfall placed. As you can't watch yourself while you walk but listening is easy I went and duplicated the rhythm and sound.. then got a friend to film me.. It works nicely, Head up. good posture, slight swing of the hips.. you need them all to get the sound right I found. and you don't need to think after a while because it's just the noise you make walking around XD

While watching notice how older women are different from the young in the way they do just about everything, and also it varies with apparent wealth. As others have said.. watching is worth any amount of training.... One day I was looking at a tall smart woman reflected in a window on a station and taking the usual notes when it dawned on me that the object of my scrutiny was me.. Odd feeling for a few minutes, then my world changed.

If the sound you get the the even clip clop of a woman in heels then you are doing it right, heck Im getting to the point that i can nearly get that sound when I'm wearing runners. Back and legs straight, up on the ball.s of your feet, limber up the hip and knees and let the heel come down last (this bit is nearly automatic if your are walking on the front of your feet).

My advice is not to worry about sitting, standing, acting like a girl.Be yourself..and don't push it, you'll get clocked. and people will think of you as an effeminate male in girl's clothing.

Be natural, let your own inner self come out and eventually your inner woman will meld with the outer shell, and you will be comfortable 'in your own skin.'

Remember these things are alien to you at first and you can't fake it, not unless you are a trained actor..so relax, enjoy and realize this is a lifetime goal....