• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Uh-Oh!

JJ

• Forum Moderator

Sometimes when I'm doing something or hiking threads compose themselves in my head. Most stay right there too.

Today it was about belief in God and simplistic. Something to the effect that if I believe in God and am wrong there is no harm done except maybe passing up a few pleasures and possibly having a more disciplined and rewarding life but if I don't believe and am wrong then I'm in deep trouble.

When this verse suddenly intruded rather forcefully in my head.

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"

Uh-oh.Not much wiggle room there is there?

Christianity just jumped up got me. Think maybe I have some work to do.

Isn't easy is it?

Johnny

Guest Amanda Whyte

No it's not Johnny. One thing that helps though is God loves us and wants us to end up in Heaven. I dont think He is a lot more understanding than a lot of people give Him credit for.

• Forum Moderator

The more we can respond with love the more peace we find. The more we hate the more it grows and just fills our world cutting us off from any peace. A very strong thought Johnny. I think it takes a lifetime of practice.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest ~Brenda~

My views of God may differ from most, but my take on the passage that you quoted Johnny is exactly the primary message that God has always promoted......selflessness.

To be able to see past one's adversaries/enemies and to be able to treat them with love demonstrates the greatness of Divine Love.

Love

Brenda

• Admin

Christianity, like most religions, has lots of good things to say. It is in our interpretation that things too often get bollixed up. I hope you find enlightenment in the quote that intruded on your reveries, Johnny.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Johnny,

Christianity is not really that difficult in theory - it is being put into practice that the problems arise.

There is ONE very simple message and that is love - very simple and here is the best part, God loves us and unlike the way that we give love - his is unconditional.

Have you ever tried to give unconditional love to anyone?

Let's say that you are dating someone very special to you and one night they cancel on a date - admit it you question why, what are they doing instead and who are they doing it with - just that thought alone has put a condition on your love - "I love you as long as nothing else ever comes up - no matter what it is."

This concept is especially difficult for fundamentalists because they have a list in their Bibles that I have never seen - mine says to love everyone but theirs seem to have an index of who to hate and who to fear.

Unconditional love is very hard to give, we can try and at least put as few conditions as possible on it.

Love thy neighbor as thyself - love ya, neighbor,

Sally

Guest KimberlyF

I have come to many of the same thoughts. I don't care if I'm right or wrong as a Christian. I don't care if the New Testament is just a bunch of fables, though I accept them as truth. There are lessons to be learned much like stories such as the tortoise and the hare.

I have never read the bible even in my times of most self-doubt and thought that Jesus was someone who spread violence or hate. He preached peace and love and forgiveness-there was nothing we could do up until our last breath that we could not be forgiven if we were truly sorry.

Humans are flawed. Human religion is flawed. My job as a Christian isn't to be a Catholic, even though that may be the sign hanging over my doors. I see my goal as to act more Christlike. I am very much lacking.

Let's say that you are dating someone very special to you and one night they cancel on a date - admit it you question why, what are they doing instead and who are they doing it with - just that thought alone has put a condition on your love - "I love you as long as nothing else ever comes up - no matter what it is."

I don't think this example works. This to me shows self-doubt of the person stood up. Most of us have self-doubts at time. Why would X want to be with Y instead of me???? How we feel about the person who canc. the date will differ from person to person. I don't think the majority of mentally healthy people will withhold love because someone is spending time with someone else.

This concept is especially difficult for fundamentalists because they have a list in their Bibles that I have never seen - mine says to love everyone but theirs seem to have an index of who to hate and who to fear.

I have come out to a few fundamentalists and a few agnostics. I have had zero issues of acceptance with the fundamentalists from day 1. After 7 years, I have drifted apart from an agnostic. She kept trying to change my mind and the things I said to her made her angry. I was an insult to women.

Also, just my opinion, but a discussion on who some Christians hate and fear might be better left outside the Christianity safe haven?

• Admin

This scripture that Johnny quoted, like all that Jeshua Bar Yousef (Jesus) is reported to have said, and possibly more things we have no record of, was meant to be directed inward at our own personal lives to restore our relation with God and all that that can mean. If I apply that Scripture to Johnny, Sally, Kim, or anyother person, I become a tyrant over their live, and a judge above them. I cannot apply it to them, I must apply it to my own life and as with the Elements of Holy Communion take it within where it will become a true part of me. Christians, myself included, become terrible when we try to GIVE God to other people, like God is a posession only we have, instead of seeking the God within all our fellow beings that was there "in their mothers womb" and has been with the world since the first Song Of Creation was sung.

• Forum Moderator

True Vicky. For me all God asks we give to others is respect for their mutual humanity and love. That is in fact from my perspective what Christ was showing us-he didn't pick the church leaders and toe the line types as his apostles after all. Rather they were very human and flawed people and he loved and forgave them even so.

His condemnation was actually saved for those who condemned others. Or so it appears to me

Johnny

Guest KimberlyF

His condemnation was actually saved for those who condemned others. Or so it appears to me

He did have some harsh words for the leaders in the temple, but still demonstrated from forgiving the thief on the cross that it was never too late to change and with the transformation and later importance in the early church of St. Paul, who had been killing people who followed Jesus, that he could forgive anything.
  • 1 month later...
Guest Motormouth18

My translation of that particular verse is "be tolerate and accepting of other people who have different views as you". I think that being tolerate and accepting is a form of love.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 165 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • MaybeRob
    • SamC
    • MaeBe
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

JamesyGreen
    Newest Member
    JamesyGreen

1. Anyatimenow
      Anyatimenow
      (23 years old)
    2. Aria00
      Aria00
    3. Ava B.
      Ava B.
      (24 years old)
    4. Claire Heshi
      Claire Heshi
    5. CrystalMatthews0426
      CrystalMatthews0426
      (41 years old)
    • KymmieL
      Hey, everyone. my life is going down the tubes. at least I think. So, today. A customer called about his car, I told him that the oil change was done. The parts to fix the check engine light are ordered. He can come and get it. For the weekend if he wants. Customer says I didn't want an oil change. it was check the engine light and check for an oil leak. Checking the work order says oil change. The boss wrote the vehicle up. checking with the customer on services wanted.   Being that I wrote down the appointment in the book. and clearly states oil leak. She is complaining because she can't read my small ish writing. It seems she read oil and assumed it as an oil change. It seems like she is blaming me.  She wound up going home because she was too upset. She is stressing about an eye problem she has, she has to get eye surgery it seems she has a tear in her eye.    I feel that I am short for this job. because of the BS they are blaming me on. Plus I am still upset about the trust issue. If either one of the bosses start their Shite tomorrow. I am walking out.    
    • Davie
    • Abigail Genevieve
      "I love you so much,"  Lois said.  They met in the driveway. "I could not live without you." "Neither could I." "What are we going to do?" "Find another counselor?" "No. I think we need to solve this ourselves." "Do you think we can?" "I don't know.  But what I know is that I don't want to go through that again.  I think we have to hope we can find a solution." "Otherwise, despair." "Yeah.   Truce?" "Okay,  truce." And they hugged.   "When we know what we want we can figure out how to get there."   That began six years of angry battles, with Odie insisted he could dress as he pleased and Lois insisting it did not please her at all.  He told her she was not going to control him and she replied that she still had rights as a wife to a husband. Neither was willing to give in, neither was willing to quit, and their heated arguments ended in hugs and more.   They went to a Crossdressers' Club, where they hoped to meet other couples with the same problems, the same conflicts, and the same answers, if anyone had any.  It took them four tries before they settled on a group that they were both willing to participate in.  This was four couples their own age, each with a cross dressing husband and a wife who was dealing with it.  They met monthly.  It was led by a 'mediator' who wanted people to express how they felt about the situation.  Odie and Lois, as newcomers, got the floor, and the meeting was finally dismissed at 1:30 in the morning - it was supposed to be over at 10 - and everyone knew how they felt about the situation.   There was silence in the car on the way home.   "We aren't the only ones dealing with this." Odie finally said.   "Who would have thought that?  You are right."   "Somebody out there has a solution." "I hope you are right."   "I hope in hope, not in despair."   "That's my Odie."    
    • Abigail Genevieve
      The counseling session was heated, if you could call it a counseling session.  Sometimes Lois felt he was on Odie's side, and sometimes on hers.  When he was on her side, Odie got defensive. She found herself being defensive when it seemed they were ganging up on each other.   "This is not working," Lois said angrily, and walked out.  "Never again. I want my husband back. Dr. Smith you are complicit in this."   "What?" said Odie.   The counselor looked at him.  "You will have to learn some listening skills."   "That is it? Listening skills?  You just destroyed my marriage, and you told me I need to learn listening skills?"   Dr. Smith said calmly,"I think you both need to cool off."   Odie looked at him and walked out, saying "And you call yourself a counselor."   "Wait a minute."   "No."
    • Ashley0616
      Just a comfortable gray sweater dress and some sneakers. Nothing special today. 
    • VickySGV
      I do still carry a Swiss Army knife along with my car keys.  
    • Timi
      Jeans and a white sweater. And cute white sneakers. Delivering balloons to a bunch of restaurants supporting our LGBT Community Center fundraiser today!
    • April Marie
      Congratulations to you!!!This is so wonderful!!
    • missyjo
      I've no desire to present androgynous..nothing wrong with it but I am a girl n wish to present as a girl. shrugs, if androgynous works fir others good. always happy someone finds a solution or happiness    today black jeans  black wedges..purple camisole under white n black polka dot blouse half open   soft smile to all 
    • MaeBe
      I have read some of it, mostly in areas specifically targeted at the LGBTQ+ peoples.   You also have to take into account what and who is behind the words, not just the words themselves. Together that creates context, right? Let's take some examples, under the Department of Health & Human Services section:   "Radical actors inside and outside government are promoting harmful identity politics that replaces biological sex with subjective notions of “gender identity” and bases a person’s worth on his or her race, sex, or other identities. This destructive dogma, under the guise of “equity,” threatens American’s fundamental liberties as well as the health and well-being of children and adults alike."   or   "Families comprised of a married mother, father, and their children are the foundation of a well-ordered nation and healthy society. Unfortunately, family policies and programs under President Biden’s HHS are fraught with agenda items focusing on “LGBTQ+ equity,” subsidizing single-motherhood, disincentivizing work, and penalizing marriage. These policies should be repealed and replaced by policies that support the formation of stable, married, nuclear families."   From a wording perspective, who doesn't want to protect the health and well-being of Americans or think that families aren't good for America? But let's take a look at the author, Roger Severino. He's well-quoted to be against LGBTQ+ anything, has standard christian nationalist views, supports conversion therapy, etc.   So when he uses words like "threatens the health and well-being of children and adults alike" it's not about actual health, it's about enforcing cis-gendered ideology because he (and the rest of the Heritage Foundation) believe LGBTQ+ people and communities are harmful. Or when he invokes the family through the lens of, let's just say dog whistles including the "penalization of marriage" (how and where?!), he idealizes families involving marriage of a "biological male to a biological female" and associates LGBTQ+ family equity as something unhealthy.   Who are the radical actors? Who is telling people to be trans, gay, or queer in general? No one. The idea that there can be any sort of equity between LGBTQ+ people and "normal" cis people is abhorrent to the author, so the loaded language of radical/destructive/guise/threaten are used. Families that he believes are "good" are stable/well-ordered/healthy, specifically married/nuclear ones.   Start looking into intersectionality of oppression of non-privileged groups and how that affects the concept of the family and you will understand that these platitudes are thinly veiled wrappers for christian nationalist ideology.   What's wrong with equity for queer families, to allow them full rights as parents, who are bringing up smart and able children? Or single mothers who are working three jobs to get food on plates?
    • Ashley0616
      Well yesterday didn't work like I wanted to. I met a guy and started talking and he was wanting to be in a relationship. I asked my kids on how they thought of me dating a man and they said gross and said no. I guess it's time to look for women. I think that is going to be harder. Oh well I guess.  
    • Ashley0616
      I don't have anything in my dress pocket
    • Carolyn Marie
      This topic reminds me of the lyrics to the Beatles song, "A Little Help From My Friends."   "What do you see when you turn out the lights?"   "I can't tell you but I know it's mine."   Carolyn Marie
    • Abigail Genevieve
      @Ivy have you read the actual document?   Has anyone else out there read it?
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I am reading the Project 2025 document https://www.project2025.org/policy/   This will take some time.  I read the forward and I want to read it again later.   I read some criticism of it outside here and I will be looking for it in the light of what has been posted here and there.  Some of the criticism is bosh.   @MaeBe have you read the actual document?
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.