• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT starting at 60?

Gwen

I'd love to hear how others have done with starting HRT later in life. How is the adjustment to taking the medications? And how does it affect your overall quality of life? I have some worries that I'll feel awful most days as I get used to the effects and this may interfere with my desire to follow through. I have an important medical appointment this week that could allow me to start one of the medications. This was unplanned but I think life is giving me a nudge :)

Thanks!!

Gwen

• Forum Moderator

Hi Gwen.  I started at 61 and I've never had bad days from the medication.   Make sure your doctor is aware of any other prescription and OTC meds and supplements you are taking.  With Spironolactone you do have to be concerned about getting enough fluids throughout the day.  This can affect your potassium levels.  

As for quality of life, if you are taking daily meds now its just adding another.  I did not notice physical changes for some time.  The mental calmness came first and I love this.  I can focus and enjoy life better.  

There are probably other older posts that go into deeper detail on the Hormone Replacement Therapy sub-forum.  Don't be afraid, you'll be fine. 

Jani    

• Admin

I began HRT at age 60, nine years ago.  I agree with Jani that the beginning physical changes were very subtle, since most of those do not start to kick in for 90 days to 6 months but I did experience the mental relief very quickly, which actually is one diagnostic tool now about GD.  If the mental thing does not kick in shortly, you may have another talk about what really is going on with you.  I have two friends for whom the HRT did nothing, but still socially transitioned when the stuff did absolutely nothing, or made things worse. Those two were the absolute EXCEPTION to the whole program that I have known.  In my signature line here you can see what happened to me at age 65.

I started hormones shortly before turning 57 great is an understatement my brain fog that plagued me my entire adult life was gone I finally became happy it has been one of the greatest things in my life  I wouldn't  go back to save my life 

bobbisue:)

Thanks to everyone for all this wonderful support, information and encouragement. Especially the encouragement! I knew I could find it here. This comes on a day of lots of dysphoria after I went to a craft fair and was bombarded with confusing stimuli. Every "sir" left me feeling wounded and I found myself thinking, But I'm not a sir! I'm a woman! The good news: I came away with a pair of very cute glass, turquoise earrings :) I love them and will wear them to therapy tomorrow.

Big hugs to everyone,

Gwen

I started hrt just 1 1/2 months after I turned 58 at about 5-6 weeks the mental and emotional changes were more than I could have hoped for. For me this alone was worth the journey. At just over 4 months I feel like someone gave me my life back. If you had asked me what was the most important to me before I started hrt I would have said the physical changes but as important as they are they pale in comparison to the emotional changes. The spirinolactone made me weak in the beginning but about three weeks it got better, drink as much water as you can the estrogen ??? I guess it made me feel better. Good luck and safe journey. 

8 hours ago, Rachael said:

The mental and emotional changes were more than I could have hoped for. For me this alone was worth the journey. At just over 4 months I feel like someone gave me my life back. If you had asked me what was the most important to me before I started hrt I would have said the physical changes but as important as they are they pale in comparison to the emotional changes.

Thanks, Rachael. I'm starting to understand this side of HRT. After a confusing day over the weekend at a craft fair, my gender-mind was spinning. I wanted to be perceived as a woman, since I felt like a woman inside, and I was confused that others didn't treat me that way. If I could feel better in this area I would love it!

Hugs

Gwen

• Forum Moderator

Gee i wish i'd come to grips with myself earlier like the young women who have shared here.  I was 63 when i started HRT.  Guess some of us are slower than others.  My therapist mentioned that many older folks transitioned at some point during my therapy.  Anyway i've enjoyed some of the best times of my life at this point.  They say changes can keep you and your mind active and a gender change certainly helped me.

Hugs,

Charlize

2 hours ago, Charlize said:

Gee i wish i'd come to grips with myself earlier like the young women who have shared here. 

I agree, Charlize! But then we might not have been ready. I'm seeing that wisdom helps to guide us through later in life, but it sure doesn't tame the gender-identity confusion. I don't know about you, but I was not prepared for the genie getting let out of the bottle at this point in my life. Some days I'm in awe of it and still can't believe that I have an overwhelming desire to be a woman. What?! Me?! How did this happen?! I love it and can't wait for the coming year to unfold.

Thanks for your support. I have lots to talk about with my therapist today :) And, I plan to wear a dress :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today, December 22, I started Finesteride. If my body likes it, than I'll seek full HRT in the new year. What a wonderful Christmas present to myself :) :)

• Forum Moderator

Enjoy your present to yourself!  I remember feeling elated when i finally started HRT.  The changes were subtle and happened over time but simply knowing i was moving in a direction i'd always thought about felt wonderful and self affirming.

Hugs,

Charlize

Thank you, Charlize! And I love your hat :) I'll know I'm truly on my way when I find out if I can tolerate each medication. I have a very long list of meds that have given me problems. But, I've started down the path - that's all that counts.

Hugs and happy holidays.

Gwen

• Admin
4 hours ago, Gwen said:

Today, December 22, I started Finesteride. If my body likes it, than I'll seek full HRT in the new year. What a wonderful Christmas present to myself :) :)

A very Merry Christmas, Gwen.  I can't think of a better present than starting your journey towards achieving a life goal.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Gwen I hope it all works out and you can tolerate the meds.  This is an exciting time, so enjoy yourself and don't stress.

Jani 

Gwen, congratulations and merry Christmas. Great present. If you have trouble talk to your dr. My primary care dr said there are a lot of Meds that will do what you want to find one that works. ( I had to stop spiro) it's just a minor side trip on the wonderfull road that is hrt. 

May your journey be pleasant and filled with joy. 

• Forum Moderator

Congat's Gwen! I'm envious, though very happy for you. I hope your body tolerates it well and everything works out well. It sounds like you are well on your way.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

Thanks everyone, for the support, encouragement and hopefulness. All very important. It's seems odd to be starting new medication when the weather is cold, gray and snowy and the ground is as hard as a rock! But there's no time like the present, right? 

Happy Holidays to everyone. I'm preparing to have my first cup of coffee of the morning :)

Big hugs

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

I started at 47 three years ago. To me, the mental changes were worth HRT in and of itself !!! The physical changes are welcomed, excited and so very important and combines so nicely with a new mental outlook. I will never look back and HRT  has been the very best decision I've ever made for myself. I think you are going to be "OH So Happy "  !!!!

10 hours ago, TessaOKC said:

I will never look back and HRT  has been the very best decision I've ever made for myself. I think you are going to be "OH So Happy "  !!!!

Thank you, Tessa, this made me smile :) I'm so happy you have found HRT to be a good choice for you. And I like your emphasis on a change in mental outlook. I think about this often and try to imagine how my inner life will change. I can't wait!!!

Happy New Year

Gwen

Guest Rachel Gia

I started at 60 .

Weird thing was that a lot of stuff changed in how I liked to dress and ended up turfing a pile of clothes in the process.

I donated much of the clothing I collected up till the time of HRT.

It could be the effects of lower testosterone but the romance aspect of life and love has been heightened.

Rachel

On 12/31/2017 at 2:21 PM, Rachel Gia said:

I started at 60 .

Weird thing was that a lot of stuff changed in how I liked to dress and ended up turfing a pile of clothes in the process.

I donated much of the clothing I collected up till the time of HRT.

It could be the effects of lower testosterone but the romance aspect of life and love has been heightened.

Thanks for the interesting feedback, Rachel. I'm pre-HRT but I've already started having similar reactions to most of my "boy" clothing, in that I can't bring myself to wear it. I have a closet full of nice men's shirts and haven't worn a single one for months. To compensate I've been spending lots of time in secondhand stores buying women's clothing - it's so much fun! I get excited just walking through the door. I'd be there now if I had the money :)

Your comment about love and romance intrigues me. I wonder, and worry (just a bit) what HRT will do to  my already emotional being.

Gwen

Guest Rachel Gia

In regards to the clothing there was a lot of female clothing that I had bought over the last couple of years that I donated as my tastes changed quite a bit. I almost never wear a bra anymore and that may be because I do not need forms anymore. Basically after I started HRT I became more prudent in my tastes and what I bought so eventually everything I have bought since starting transition is stuff that I would feel comfortable wearing anywhere.

After my Nov 7th appointment with my transition doctor I have definitely been presenting more fem in all situations including performing.

I am a more modest than I have ever been but still show a bit of chest.

I always have, actually to other peoples (phobics) duress.

In regards to romance my comment was trying to indicate that I understand and feel the more cerebral side of love. The sexual aspect that is often confused with love is now more in line with classical pre-concepts of what a women's might be.

For me, low testosterone did its job in but it did not remove any capacity to feel and want love and in fact amplified it.

Rachel

• Forum Moderator

This is a clear revelation that some women don't understand.  

12 hours ago, Rachel Gia said:

I became more prudent in my tastes and what I bought so eventually everything I have bought since starting transition is stuff that I would feel comfortable wearing anywhere.

While dressing in private we might have been a bit flamboyant, but when we start in earnest to be our true selves we realize its more important to blend in and be part of society rather than stand out.  I emulated my sisters style which seemed to fit me well.   As Rachel notes our views on love and relationships can change too, for the positive.

Jani