• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

J_S

Confused and don't know what to do...

J_S

Hey... made one post a few months back, and got some helpful insight and I'm really grateful for it. But at the moment, I haven't been able to see my new school therapist because of scheduling issues, and I'm unsure who to go to. So I've been questioning since last September because I've always had this recurring question of "What if I was born a girl instead of a guy" ever since I can remember. The reason I started exploring is that I had both time, and realized that not everyone thinks like this. I've been out dressed (with a friend so I felt safe) more fem, with breast forms, more fem make-up, at an outfest, and felt so nice, confident, and happier with my body. Not only that, but the few friends I have trusted this secret to say I pass w/o hormones or surgery. Moreso recently, every time when I know I can stay in my room in my apartment w/o having to worry about my roommates, I wear my breastforms and I feel so much better with myself, and now I'm actually having trouble sleeping w/o them on. But, some other days I feel ok with my body as is... I have no idea what I am, how I'm supposed to feel, and It's actually making it hard to focus on other things like homework. I'm also terrified that this might be a phase (NOT TO SAY THAT THIS IS A PHASE FOR EVERYONE OR ANYONE BUT THE WAY IM TREATING IT FOR MYSELF I DONT KNOW) or if I'm fantasizing it, and I'm kind of scared to move forward not knowing if it is or not. I need help, insight, anything... someone to talk to, advice, literally anything. 

I started keeping a journal, but thats only slightly helping... and I dont know what other info to say/what to ask for/what I am.

VickySGV
33 minutes ago, J_S said:

I have no idea what I am, how I'm supposed to feel,

I think I know what you mean here, but I will give the first big answer, that you feel how YOU do and the feelings you have are real as to yourself.  Feelings are good bad or in the middle, but they are not right feelings or wrong feelings, just feelings.  There is no one set of feelings that nails down how a bonafide, 100% <anything in the Trans spectrum> is going to feel.  My personal take is that if you are questioning your gender then you are NOT cis-gender, you are some part of the Trans umbrella but it will take time (50 years in my case) and that is fine since all of us here can tell that story.

33 minutes ago, J_S said:

I'm also terrified that this might be a phase

This may sound smartaleck, but Gender Dysphoria as with other letters of the LGBTQ* community is not a phase. IT IS A LIFE SENTENCE WITHOUT POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE so do not worry that you are doing something wrong or stepping on the toes of those of us who know full well what we are today.  We were in your shoes a few years ago but are here for you today.,

If dressing up makes you feel good, get rid of the guilt for enjoying it.  You are just as weird as any person alive, but when dressed you are a happy weird person, and that is what counts.  Some people may claim you are hurting them, but that is not your problem to deal with.  For now, keep calm until you get a chance to see the therapist who will tell you some of what I just did, and get yourself in here reading and talking with the rest of us.  Don't be a stranger any more. :D

Timber Wolf

Hi J_S,

It can be easy to fear this could be just a phase. We wonder, "What if I start really doing something about this and it suddenly ends?" We forget to think about how we've had these feelings and questions for years and they have not ended. They might abate for a while, but they keep coming back.

You're still young in life. I've lived a few more years and have spent many of those years trying to bury all this and convince myself that it is just a phase. In the end it didn't work. I'm not going through a phase.

Something that can make it difficult to understand ourselves is that there aren't just 2 or 3 catagories of us that we can peg ourselves into. Transgender is a wide spectrum. Therapy can really help here. You said you were in school. I don't know if it's high school or college, but you mentioned an apartment with room mates, but if I remember correctly, you also mentioned needing parental approval for counselling or therapy in you previous post. If there is any way you can see a gender therapist, it would probably help.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf🐾

DenimAndLace
6 hours ago, J_S said:

I'm also terrified that this might be a phase... or if I'm fantasizing it, and I'm kind of scared to move forward not knowing if it is or not. I need help, insight, anything... someone to talk to, advice, literally anything.

So-what if it IS a phase?  You feel better when you wear the forms and clothes so wear them!  You like being identified in public as a woman so do it!  You like wearing makeup?  Then wear it.  Be proud of who you are and stop being ashamed about it.  You.  Are.  Just.  Fine - just-as-you-are.  If or when the day comes that you're no longer interested in wearing these items, stop.  If or when the day comes that you are confident in your gender, be that gender.  If you want to try a new name, ask your friends to call you something else (you don't have to officially change it).  If your gut tells you to try hormones, give them a try (you CAN stop if you don't like them).  When you have reconciled your gender (even if it takes half you lifetime) you can take whatever steps YOU see fit at THAT time.  You aren't crossing a one way bridge; you're exploring a new world.  Just be YOU and bless the world with your individuality.  You are beautiful!!!!  :)

SugarMagnolia

I love that, @DenimAndLace. What a great positive encouraging message! And one that everyone needs to hear more often. Thank you!

J_S:
Denim, TimberWolf and Vicky said it better than I could, and they're right. Give yourself permission to explore, to try new things, new ways of being and envisioning yourself!

Hugs, 
Julie

MarcieMarie12

J_S. , I always thought it was just a phase. I thought it was going to go away as I matured. Quite the opposite happened. By the time I hit my 40's it came back with a vengence. It did not go away. My dysphoria got so bad there was no other choice except transition. 

Do you want to go back to being "him"? That's the question I asked myself, and in being honest with myself the answer is no.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• Susan
    • Susan R
    • EvanC
  • Who Was Online

105 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • Susan
    • Susan R
    • EvanC
    • **Angela Charlotte **
    • Jocelyn
    • KymmieL
    • Dev
    • jennaliz72
    • Bad
    • MaryMary
    • Ashlee
    • RithiaAllen
    • Leo
    • nitehwk
    • Ronin82
    • MaryEllen
    • Josie Beth
    • Michelle F
    • Rachael
    • HeatherCristina
    • Jani
    • NancyAL
    • Hellothere
    • Elyssia
    • MelissaAndProudOfIt
    • Tessa
    • Charlize
    • Carolyn Marie
    • NewLife336
    • JametB0223
    • Willow
    • Cat Lady Kelly
    • Kirsten
    • Willa
    • SugarMagnolia
    • SaraAW
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • VickySGV
    • Notsure2015
    • DeeDee
    • Alexin
    • MicahKj
    • Terry
    • pelos
    • paige_40s
    • My name isn’t Megan
    • Dantheman
    • figuringitout
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • AsTheCrow
    • Petra Jane
    • Jessica63
    • Freya Bryn Oliver
    • DemiBeth
    • Dakota16
    • Kole Rickard
    • SharkGirl98
    • Adaline
    • WaxingPoetic
    • Imabesarah
    • jae bear
    • jo_g
    • Katy Ann
    • Cyndee
    • Danielle.Silk
    • Timber Wolf
    • Naomi Knowles
    • Heather L
    • Brie
    • MarcieMarie12
    • Stephanie P
    • Nicolas
    • Dag
    • Clara84
    • tracy_j
    • Elliott
    • Beverly
    • Arya
    • Cameron
    • mdj
    • Sharon Aml
    • jamesjn
    • Marbabar
    • KC
    • Jennifer T
    • Carla68
    • FalknerNessa98
    • carol
    • yeshomonoromo
    • Makayla Danielle
    • Donna Lynne
    • ConfusedPerson
    • Robin
    • Dani1
    • jjmb5744
    • Briana
    • StarlessSkye
    • Elizabeth61
    • JohnniGyrl
    • Rebecca Lynn
    • SandraBear
    • Djorkus
    • Amanda
    • kels1986
    • missricka
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

pelos
    Newest Member
    pelos

1. KathrynJulia
      KathrynJulia
      (64 years old)
    2. Michelle 2010
      Michelle 2010
      (9 years old)
    3. Shiratori
      Shiratori
      (47 years old)
    4. woahshutitdown
      woahshutitdown
      (28 years old)
    • Susan R
      Congrats Josie, I am so happy for you. What a great opportunity! You'll do just fine...don't worry.   Wish you the best at your new job, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      I am so sorry to hear about the struggles you are dealing with right now.  I know it seems like this pain is going to last forever.  It is all temporary.  The pain will stop.  You might try an attempt to communicate the severity of your pain and your feelings to your mother.  Tell her you need to talk to her and lay it all out.  It may be difficult to believe but she loves you.  Your mother sounds like she is completely unaware how much suffering you are experiencing.  You should also convey that this is not going to go away on its own.  During your conversation, you might even suggest a need for counseling to her.  You should also reach out to see if there are any Trans support groups in your area.  Most larger metropolitan areas have them.  These were a big help when I was younger.   There are resources on the main forum page that may also assist you.  Please check that out.  I don't know your age, resources, mobility so some of these suggestions may not apply.   Just know that you are an important and incredible person that just needs time to find yourself.  It's a difficult journey but with some help, you'll find your way through it.  Please share more so we can give you better information and support.  Thank you for sharing what you did.  Reaching out is so important.   Susan R🌷
    • Ashlee
      That's great! Congratulations! Have faith in yourself and if you believe in God him too. I need to change jobs but am afraid of change and failure. I need to get over that. I hope you have a great first day  Ashlee ❤️
    • Leo
      Have a great trip!  Bet your mom is as excited as you are!
    • Susan R
      You are not crazy at all...maybe a little more open than me but even that's debatable.  Role play is healthy in my opinion.  We all fantasize to some degree.  Sometimes it's all internalized mentally and other times we externalize it like you may be doing with yourself.  My wife and I do this in subtle ways and it's sometimes soothing and other times exhilarating depending on the situation.   Susan R🌷
    • Leo
      I use an online cosmetic calculator to check expiration dates prior to purchasing cosmetics for relatives, and also to check dates on other products like sunscreens.  Unfortunately, a lot of places sell cosmetics that are about to expire or already have.  So if you buy and don't use right away, it may not be any good or safe to use.  
    • Josie Beth
      Wow, I made it through the last 12 hour day of work today and I’m really glad to have it all behind me. I was congratulated by several coworkers and hurried out of the door to go home. I’m not sleepy yet even though I know I’d better wind down to be ready for the big day tomorrow. I’m going to be starting a new position at a new job but I’ll be working somewhere I’ve already been before. It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve worked for this company so I have no idea what to expect. A lot has changed but some is still the same. I’m going to have a management position! It’s exciting and a little intimidating. Hopefully I’ll be able to fit right in but I’m a little nervous about whether or not I can handle it. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in charge of anything. But I’m going to try my best.   Hopefully, I will also find out about insurance and what they are willing to cover. If it won’t cover trans related health care then I’ll probably have to seek another provider, which I think APO can help me with. However I won’t be able to find that out until I get a day off.    I’m looking forward to not being as worn out after work but not looking forward to the late hours unless I can actually get proper sleep.    I’m going to try and stay there long enough to get some experience but not too long because I want to start transitioning soon and I feel that if I can get a retail manager position then I’ll be able to transition with less problems. If not then perhaps I can transfer to a location where transitioning will be less of an issue with the company in the new location. 
    • Jani
      That's what I thought, that liquids surely have a shelf life and that bacteria is an issue.  As to powders (pressed or otherwise) I would think they would be fairly long lived.  
    • Jani
      Safe travels Julie!     Hugs, Jani
    • Jani
      Tell him "well I tend to forget names too Madeline!"  Keep using a different women's name when you see him.  He'll figure it out soon enough.  Either that or cast him off.    Jani
    • Jani
      Hello Janet.  I'l happy to see you've joined us.  Many of us have been where you are.  You'll find the support you seek here.  Please join in the talk! 

Jani
    • Jani
      Sorry to hear this.  This sounds like an odd rule.  It must be rooted in some sort of deception prevention rules.  You might be able to switch up to using your initials "JM".  I can't see that being secretive or deceitful as it is correct.  You could also make the case to your supervisor that your DL doesn't have your "birth" name on it either and the state is fine with it.    Jani
    • Jani
      Hello Kole and welcome.  I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.  It wasn't your fault.     Your parents may never come around to acknowledging the real you.  They need to see beyond themselves first.  It appears they are not ready to do this.  The best thing you could possibly do is to hang tough until you are 18 and graduate HS.  If you have plans for college, great.  It's a wonderful time to be on your own and experiment.  If you don't have this plan you can still stake out and make a go of it on your own.  It's not easy in today's environment (financially and socially) but it can be done if you're strong.  It certainly sounds like you are.      Please stay safe and keep in touch.  We're a good community of caring people.   Jani
    • Jani
      Greetings Molly and welcome.  Quite a change, Texas to Rhode Island.  What's the occasion, school?     I like Mako because they are sleek and fast but the Great White is awesome for its size and strength.     Please join in the conversation!   Jani
    • Hellothere
      I dont know if this is the right area to post this kind of thing but everything hurts and i feel so lost. ive never liked myself, i hate my personality and everything about my body. Ive never really thought i seeked approval all that much. Definitely not my mother though. When i came out to her, it felt like i was on trial for murder. “Do you want to talk or have a chat”. For someone without a self esteem, the whole conversation made me veiw her diffrently. She ‘accepted’ me (if never talking about it again and saying she doesnt know how she feels about the thing counts). But now i feel she hates me. That im a disappointment, a failure. Things were bad happiness wise for a while before this but everything just fell apart. I cry myself to sleep, i wonder if anyone would miss me, would my mom miss me, and what would be the best way of ending my life. My friends must hate me, they think im angey, they think i hate them. Its my way of covering up sadness. Half the time i cant even cry, i just sit in my misery. Sometimes i pinch or scratch my self, just to feel pain because i must deserve this. I feel so lost. I feel like im to young to feel lost. Why is it happening so young? My mother wouldnt have that reason if i was older. Why couldnt i find out later. Why didnt i wait to come out. Why did this happen to me. Why. No one knows how i feel because i couldnt bear to look them in the eye ever again.  When will the sadness stop. The crying, the self hatred.
  • Upcoming Events