• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
SugarMagnolia

Navigating Beauty Standards as a Trans Woman Is an Impossible Balancing Act

SugarMagnolia

Great article by Katelyn Burns on the challenges of female beauty standards. I particularly liked the quote, "Sometimes I know I’m a real woman because everyone has an unsolicited opinion about my appearance."

https://www.allure.com/story/beauty-standards-transgender-women

MaryMary

very interesting article. I manage to get on that thin zone I think. I pass well and have my own unique style, not too masculine, not too feminine (cliche).

The moment when I think it hurts a LOT is when someone transition and find it's impossible to reach that zone for whatever reasons. Where I live it's the moment where the true transphobia happen. Those who fall in that category have it hard.

jae bear

Oh dear, I worry about this constantly, and I’m not sure if this article helped me or set me back. But I do know I’m gonna give it my best shot, I know I have a long way to go but I’m gonna do the best that I can and see where I can take what I’ve got. Then again I have a fantastic wife that is kind of my girl guide Sherpa along the way mount womanhood and since she is strikingly beautiful I’m sure she can at least help me pass. I also find it funny that it’s totally socially acceptable for me to just be myself in male mode, just as girly as I want to be, and no one bats an eyelash, but the idea of outwardly identifying and dressing as female will draw all sorts of attention immediately.

Hugs,

Jae

SugarMagnolia

Ultimately, it comes down to accepting ourselves and finding a look that suits us. There are always going to be people that want to criticize and they'll find something imperfect about everyone to nitpick.

You do you! 

Jani

Interesting article for sure.  I liked the point that some feminists use the very thing they rail against (beauty standards) to rate trans women for acceptance.  While I pass well enough I try not to get sucked into the vortex of ever escalating beauty rating and comparisons.  Like Marie, I have my own style and it works for me.  That is all that matters. 

Jani

SandraG

Good, sad and scary article. As someone just starting their transition, this is like jumping in an icy shower. :blink:

At the same time, I think that this is reinforcing the value of the work I'm facing, and I expect to do that work every day until I die. Maybe it's because I have always felt like I had to work hard to put on a :alien: to deal with people every day (one of the characteristics of people on the autistic spectrum), and I just want to be comfortable enough with the actions of "acting properly" - even if you're still "that freak." Not that I'm that weird IRL, but like I said, sometimes it takes a lot of effort, and even though I'm going to lose a lot of my physical "presence" that men read into - a lot - I'm still on the larger size of average for male, and have been forced to defend myself from larger people pretty much all growing up. Self-defense, sadly, is part of my transition plan, to refresh and help keep me in shape. I grew up with the verbal stuff (same sex parent in the 90s, and me not learning how to act "normal" until late - if ever B)), and have a (planned) life path that can allow me to not have much physical contact with the public if necessary (fine by me if needed!), with a healthy enough income for the modest life that my wife and I look forward to. I worry about it more with my wife than myself :(, but she has also been an ally pretty much from childhood, and has seen (and been caught up in) the petty b.s. as well. 

It also reminds me how much I want to just opt out of all the b.s. that the patriarchy does, just by its' existence. Not that it's a major driver for me or anything (and losing that is going to suck in ways I don't realize yet), but... my wife has to remind me at least every other day that not ALL men suck, just a lot of them. :P

3 hours ago, jae bear said:

I also find it funny that it’s totally socially acceptable for me to just be myself in male mode, just as girly as I want to be, and no one bats an eyelash, but the idea of outwardly identifying and dressing as female will draw all sorts of attention immediately.

I have found being male to be VERY restrictive, myself, with kickback that caused me to have many social issues, plus one expulsion/leaving school and a few lost jobs over the years. Not to say that it's less restrictive than the path that I'm on now, but... this is my path, my life, my body and my identity. In many ways, every day, I make a choice about who I am, every moment, especially now that I'm starting my transition. There are no words for the strength that gives me, or the help that it has been providing me already. :angel:

Charlize

Finding myself and a style that fits has taken time.  With that seems to come an acceptance of the flaws caused by birth and time.  As an older person i have to accept more sags and creases which seems to make the male flaws seem a bit less toxic.  With time i simply have found that for the most part i forget that i'm doing anything other than living my life. I relax and smiles come.  Each smile seems to make friends at the market and regardless of flaws i'm finally happy.

Thanks to all of you for helping me through all the fear and trouble i felt before.

Hugs,

Charlize

SugarMagnolia

That's so sweet, Charlize. 

And so like the journey of most cis-women. We sometimes forget how many cis-women are re-defining themselves too in middle age and beyond. They're finding a new identity post-menopause and with empty nests (for those that had kids) and coming to terms with bodies and faces that are aging. That journey to acceptance is the same in a lot of ways.

"Relax and smiles come". I love that!

~Julie

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• Rachael
    • VickySGV
    • Jocelyn
    • Rowan
    • SugarMagnolia
    • nitehwk
    • MaryEllen
    • rufnear
  • Who Was Online

95 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • VickySGV
    • Rachael
    • Rowan
    • Jocelyn
    • SugarMagnolia
    • nitehwk
    • MaryEllen
    • rufnear
    • Kirsten
    • Isabelle
    • Zedarius
    • April
    • PurpleBlue
    • Andrea
    • JMG
    • Dakota16
    • Terry
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Summer
    • MaryMary
    • stbSusan
    • JD
    • JJ
    • Jojo
    • Jackie C.
    • Willow
    • Petra Jane
    • Martyn
    • Alexx21
    • Carly Hughes
    • nate775
    • hmillerrr
    • Michelle F
    • NewLife336
    • Alice
    • kotobirbs
    • Lexi
    • claire1000
    • CyndiRae
    • BrandiBri
    • DenimAndLace
    • Notsure2015
    • jae bear
    • KeiraC
    • jo jo
    • Lilyr1999
    • ChickenLittle
    • Jani
    • Elyssia
    • KymmieL
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • CaptainC_Cookies
    • Phoenixrises42016
    • Timber Wolf
    • Charlize
    • Adaline
    • Mickey
    • mochi90
    • Julie J
    • DDan
    • ckd
    • Robin
    • Sophie
    • TiaMaria
    • Joe76
    • tracy_j
    • Cat Lady Kelly
    • Cluck1992
    • Lady Ayu
    • Ashlee
    • Poppycorn95
    • Braxton
    • leomonade
    • JBfox
    • Dev
    • CompressionMan
    • Steff
    • quezadajuarez
    • MolsMags93
    • Ronin82
    • It'sAndrew345
    • Roberta-Belinda
    • Amy joey
    • Carly
    • Sharon Aml
    • bobbisue
    • Cal
    • Fernode
    • ResearchFairy
    • DrumbeatAlex
    • Miss Linnea
    • Max
    • AnnazMom
    • Cheyenne skye
    • Kris
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Andrea
    Newest Member
    Andrea

No users celebrating today
    • Rowan
      Vicki, the Amazon wardrobe is a new program where you pick out a bunch of clothes to fill a box. Then, they send you the clothes to try on. You get 7 days to decide what you like, and what you want to send back. They send a return box with a pre paid return label with the clothes, and you only pay for what you keep. This seems especially convenient for me since all of those stores that you mentioned are about 250 miles away from where I live. 
    • Rachael
      As others have said wear what makes you happy. Others do not matter. Be happy.💃
    • rufnear
    • rufnear
      Ok, found TransPulse server..lol (don't laugh :P)  but am trying to complete #verification I see where it has a green check mark or Red X to agree or disagree but the text I put box does not work.
    • rufnear
      I can't find anyone on Discord let alone a TransPulse live chat community.  I set up an account on my iPad using browser and downloaded the app too but both look empty.  I thought I had searched for TransPulse Channel but 0 channels by that name were found. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • VickySGV
      Caveat Emptor -- LET THE BUYER BEWARE   I am long out, and kind of old, but to me nothing beats in-store try-ons.  I found out there were several of the mid-size chains that are gender friendly and have more private, gender neutral changing rooms.  Lane Bryant, and Dress Barn are two that deal with larger women and are very pleasant to us, and tend to have sales personnel who are very helpful, and who do know how to suggest clothing.  The Dillard's and Hot Topic stores are also great at helping us, and keep an eye on the teenage crowd that can be mouthy, but I never have had problems with them.   If you do use the Amazon thing, get two of the same garment one size apart (ie 22 and 24 slacks -- [ok, I am big]) which is what I take into the try-on rooms.  For dresses use the size of your slacks and skirts, also two sizes at a time. 
    • JMG
      Thank you for the responses! What  I should say is that I have developed a sexual desire to my male body, but when my female sides came out, I get in a frustration mood that the dislike of my make body prevents what I usually do sometimes  sexually. Until I finally can come to a care therapist, there is a waiting time of 1-2 years in my  country, I need a temporary solution to feel the lust for this body and still dress female in other aspects of life. There is no way I would run at datings, I don't feel comfortable with another person at this stage.
    • Rowan
      Right?!? I can't tell you how many things I have bought on Amazon that didn't fit right, or just wasn't what I imagined. 
    • Dakota16
      I haven't heard of this until now, but it looks like an awesome service! I'm still trying to develop my style as well
    • Kirsten
      Lol. The “auntie” thing is still so weird to me. My nieces and nephews have been great about it but it’s weird. Almost as weird as when my son accidentally calls me mom. 🤦🏻‍♀️  Haha my wife cringes just a tad when she hears it. Cause I can be whomever I want but I am not mom. She is. And I 100% agree. But that aunty is funny. I think it’s more that I had never really thought about it before.    Jani i I do hope so too. It’s never anything bad persay but it is something. It’s little things that cause her some angst more than upset her. But I really hope it all smooths out. I hate when it does cause her any issue. Her happiness is just as important as mine. And it’s so much better if it can be with me than not. At least for me. Lol. Time time time.  Thanks.  Kirsten 
    • Kirsten
      Julie you could be right. And people have always told me I am very approachable as well. But I’d say almost 3/4 of the time I’m not the one that starts the convos.  Actually the best part of the ladies rooms so far is I’m usually alone in there. But I’m mostly in the restroom the last couple weeks at work. And we are a predominently male company in my area at least. But I’m quickly getting over the fears. There isn’t much to really be scared of. Just be yourself wherever you are. It’ll all go fine. 
    • Alice
    • Carly Hughes
      i agree, with the others saying that confidence is the key, if your acting nervous or scared, people pick up on that, if your walking along and someone is coming the other way, and you stop turn around and walk back the way you have come quickly to get away, just looks odd, and raises peoples suspicions that something isn't right and they will look at you more to try and see whats wrong, if you do not give anyone a reason to stare at you, from my experience they wont, i know its hard to do but sometimes girls like us need balls to brazen it out
    • BrandiBri
      "Not being trans enough"? Bulls..t!!! There is no such thing as not being trans enough. Sadly, as I have read some older threads I have seen that there are people who do believe that nonsense. The sad part of that is they are usually trans themselves. I would hope that no one here would consider me as not being trans enough just because I have not had GRS, just as I don't consider that I am more trans than those who are not on HRT. No matter where we are on our journey, when we feel that we are trans*, then we are trans*. As a side post,  I wonder if anyone has ever been accused of "not being cis enough" because of not wearing the "acceptable" clothes for their anatomy.
    • Carly Hughes
      i must admit that since my separation and being on my own, and my dressing urges have increased by 1000% that i have started  watching what i eat to slim down and achieve a more feminine figure
  • Upcoming Events