• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

College

There are a lot of things i want to do when i'm older. For starters i'd love to do graphic design for video games preferably 2d platformers and own some boas and snakes. As of recent i've been thinking a lot about my future and what i may need to go into this field of work which is possibly college for herpetology so i'm better informed on the exotic pets i want to keep and graphic design school. I live in the worst state to be trans Georgia which has the least trans protection laws and most difficult process to go through and although my part of town is liberal like twenty minutes away there's a section that once arrested my father and put him in jail for not making a full stop at a stop sign. I want to move to a region of california or washington state because they have more trans protection laws and i believe Obamacare covers trans medicine in those states as well? I have to look it up but my main concern is college for me. I can get my snakes, snake breeders don't give a -crap- about gender as long as you will take proper care of the thing and you can pay for it but i am really scared about going to male dorms. I know i'd be most comfortable in a male dorm room but I know some colleges like using the fact your trans as a reason to deny you your gender dorms (Why are dorms gendered to -censored- begin with just put people who have similar interests in similar dorms not everything has to have a -censored- gender) and i also know in the kind of gaming industry there is some well discrimination. With games like overwatch y'know we're getting some more diverse and including characters but let's face it a lot of gamers are not big on the gay thing let alone the trans thing and get offended when a woman makes decisions let alone a trans guy which they will see as woman because y'know trand people are a myth and all and although the games i want to make i want to make with firends and maybe start a small company to do because i like to make the ideas not just to illustrate other people's not to say i'm not open minded just there's some game designs of mine i'd love to see made into a full game. This is off topic what i was really wondering is if it's better to just get my college degree going under the guise of female so i can just get my fricken degrees and be done with it without all the -holy buckets- then transition after or should i just bite the bullet and go through with it? I have a few years to go before college a big concern and moving across the country is a way scarier thing to me than college because i don't have any family out there and although my immediate family will be super supportive everyone else will probably be in their churches thinking i've been cursed by the devil so the eventual move is scarier than college but which do you think is better? This is also a thing because an art college in florida that i visited and really want to go to is near a conservative part of town and i don't want to get hurt for trying to attend the school even though the school when we went was super lax and amazing but y'know people get more hostile the more different you are. So should i hide it, get my degrees and then start coming out and do the transition or bite the bullet come out and just use my preferred gender in college?

• Forum Moderator

I don't know much about snakes other than I don't like them, more like fear.  Going to school for graphic arts would be a good choice.  I've found that art inclined people are more inclusive.  I've been away from college for a very long time but I do know many schools offer coed dorms so that might be something to look into.  The gaming industry, from what I've read in the news is very much male dominated and not a friendly place for women.  But that said there are successful women game developers.  One more would certainly help break the cycle of misogyny. 

College seems like a good place to come out and establish your identity as most campuses are open and excepting.  Moving is always scary but like everything its a tradeoff with you gaining freedom and the ability to start fresh.   

Jani

4 hours ago, Jani said:

I don't know much about snakes other than I don't like them, more like fear.  Going to school for graphic arts would be a good choice.  I've found that art inclined people are more inclusive.  I've been away from college for a very long time but I do know many schools offer coed dorms so that might be something to look into.  The gaming industry, from what I've read in the news is very much male dominated and not a friendly place for women.  But that said there are successful women game developers.  One more would certainly help break the cycle of misogyny. 

College seems like a good place to come out and establish your identity as most campuses are open and excepting.  Moving is always scary but like everything its a tradeoff with you gaining freedom and the ability to start fresh.   

Jani

Thank you jani, i'll definately look into co ed housing for some colleges i might like to attend. Unfortunately i guess i'd be another man in the industry but i'll be sure to hire and work with as many women as possible to try and break those stereotypes :).

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Aro said:

Unfortunately i guess i'd be another man in the industry but i'll be sure to hire and work with as many women as possible to try and break those stereotypes :).

I'm sorry as I didn't mean to offend or imply anything.  

You would be uniquely qualified as someone who has seen both sides and that IMO is never a bad thing.   

Jani

21 minutes ago, Jani said:

I'm sorry as I didn't mean to offend or imply anything.  

You would be uniquely qualified as someone who has seen both sides and that IMO is never a bad thing.   

Jani

Oh i didn't think you meant anything by it but thank you. Hopefully, if it works out i'll inspire some young creators, especially within the lgbt community :).