• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Boob-O-Gram Day 2019

VickySGV

• Admin

I had my bi-yearly mammogram today.  This makes time #4 since my first one in 2013, three months after my GCS when my gender marker changed on my HMO's charting process and it said a 65 year old woman was past due for her breasts to have an X-ray that year.  I have seen my HMO chart cover page which has a photo of me and lists my HRT and GCS as active conditions along with three other controlled conditions that are doing super well.

The first time did turn out to be scary because they did find some intrusive., but non-cancerous, fibrous tissue in my right breast, and a needle biopsy was needed to be sure.  (What a relief!)  The next two "grams verified that I do have dense breast tissue which is a little problem since real problems are harder to detect.  I  share the tissue issue with about 35% of all post puberty women, and it is indicative of the extra care in detection and monitoring that is warranted, and not really alarming.

After getting a paper bracelet at the front counter I was instructed to go into a waiting room for the X-rays.  The sign on the door said WOMEN ONLY IN THIS AREA , and that was where I was absolutely supposed to go.  Inside the door was a sign that pointed to two single person changing rooms with the instruction "Remove upper body clothing and bras and put on a hospital gown with the opening to the front"   After following those instructions and stuffing my blouse and sweater into my purse, I went into a small waiting room where there were about 5 other women, also waiting to go in for their X-rays as well.  I was immediately included in a conversation that two of them were having without any question as to whether I belonged there or not.  A television in the room was loud  enough I could not really hear much of the chat, but I was one of the bunch.  All of us were equalized by the fact that the gowns we had on were a "one size fits all NONE" garment and we were having to hold the fronts closed.

The X-ray technician surprised me slightly by asking if I have had implants.  I have developed pleasant "B" cups and have not had implants?  She admitted that I was her first Trans subject.  It was a matter of needing the two minutes of education that I was happy to give her. Somehow she had been given the impression that implants were the rule for us and not a limited number overall.  She did a very firm but gentle job of getting me lined up in the pressure plates, and the worst part was having to hold my breath when I wanted to giggle actually.  All done in under 7 minutes, and she had noted that yesterday was my BD and waved me back to a changing room with a Happy Birthday and Happy New Year. 

I am glad this happened here where I live and not some other places.  I was fully welcomed in one of the most thoroughly female spaces there can be, even more so than rest rooms or locker rooms, or for that matter, some other places deemed "off limits" to Trans women.  We fully join with other women in protecting our health and others health in things like this, and are welcomed as we keep track of that goal.

I love this story, Vicky! Thank you so much for sharing. ?

It's good to know what to expect and I'm especially glad to hear that your experience was a good one!

And Happy Birthday to you! 

Happy birthday Vicky! And happy boob-o-gram day! I’m looking forward to being able to get one and giggle!

• Forum Moderator

Happy Birthday Vicky.  Great read.  The process was much different than I had imagined.  Sounds like it'll be interesting when my time comes.  Hope your day is a very special one!

Susan R?

• Admin

Got the letter today saying I am clear again.  The same form letter that reminds me I have dense tissue which is "not uncommon" but to use self examination for lumps from time to time, and notify my doctors of any changes. 

We tried to develop a special glove with microreplicated conductors to enhance  breast self -examination.  But nobody wanted to fund further work on this, so it stayed in my drawer of the lab bench.  But from the research I did on this subject, I would say that every woman should examine their breast about once a week.  Because of this rather high frequency, your touch sense will build up a memory, and any unexpected change can be detected rather early.  And if you have a partner, this can be turned in a real fun game, and the partner can build up the memory!

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Linde said:

And if you have a partner, this can be turned in a real fun game, and the partner can build up the memory!

I keep hoping that will happen, but I am at an age when memory is something you forget about.

• Forum Moderator
Just now, VickySGV said:

I keep hoping that will happen, but I am at an age when memory is something you forget about.

As they say on Reddit..."I see what you did there!"