• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does starting hrt require a certain type of therapist

hmillerrr

Hey guys!

I've been seeing a therapist (LMFT) for nearly 2 years now. Just yesterday I told her about my identity and my desire to start hormones and it got me thinking about letters of recommendation and all that fun stuff... Now I know you need a gender therapist to help you out but I would hate to lose the therapist I have now and have to go find a gender therapist. Because my therapist is willing to work with me on my gender "issues" is there a way that SHE could write a letter of recommendation for me?  Stating I have dyphoria , etc? I'm pretty cool with my endo too bscause I see him often for other issues (hypothyroidism) I'm really hoping for some feedback (good feedback hopefully) thank you guys!

-Trevor x

• Forum Moderator

Hi Trevor, I see you are comfortable with your Dr already, some Dr's will prescribe HRT with "Informed Consent", where you acknowledge the risks and benefits with them, and then sign a form. They then can move forward with a prescription with your permission. Perhaps ask your Dr about "Informed Consent", see what they say ?

Good luck

Cyndee -

25 minutes ago, Cyndee said:

Hi Trevor, I see you are comfortable with your Dr already, some Dr's will prescribe HRT with "Informed Consent", where you acknowledge the risks and benefits with them, and then sign a form. They then can move forward with a prescription with your permission. Perhaps ask your Dr about "Informed Consent", see what they say ?

Good luck

Cyndee -

Dr meaning my therapist or the endo? Also thank you tons for the feedback @Cyndee

• Forum Moderator

The prescribing Dr for HRT would most likely be your Endo, it would not hurt to have a referral from your therapist if needed.

C -

3 hours ago, Cyndee said:

The prescribing Dr for HRT would most likely be your Endo, it would not hurt to have a referral from your therapist if needed.

C -

Ahhh this makes me so hopeful! Thank you!