• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Talking To The Pastor

Guest Evalyn_G

Guest Sarinah

I have been attending a Baptist church that my parents are a member of for several months now. Although my parents are members of the church I am not. The pastor came up to me after the service this last sunday and asked if I would like to officially become a member of the church. I told him I would like to sit down and talk with him first. No one at the church besides my parents knows about me being trans, but with the prospect of transitioning begining within a year I am hesitant to become a member of the church just to end up in a precarious situation. Monday me and my mother talked about me sitting down and having a discussion with the pastor. I suppose I am a little afraid to out my self to the church because it has been such a struggle for me to find a church that I enjoy so much, but I would also like them to Love me for who I am and I am not being completely honest with them as is. The church has fairly traditional baptist views on homosexuality, but their church guideline does not evan talk about transgender issues. I am certain the initial reaction will be about the same as my parents if not more conservative. I almost feel "called" to show these people that there is more to transsexuals then what they have seen from the mass media.

I know that the only person who can decide to do this is me, but I guess what I want is some prayer and a pep talk.

Guest p3ngu!n

well i will pray for you but if he is a bible pusher then idk how to help you. my dad is a preacher as well and i've basically been placed on house arrest. i can leave the house when he isn't home but he has the alarm set up somehow to where it alerts him when i leave.... what i'm trying to say is i will pray for you.

I think that if I had known what my feelings were when I joined the church I would have felt compelled to talk to the minister because being in complete ignorance as to what transgendered was I joined the church under my male name - if I had known I would have felt that to be a lie.

Not wishing to lie to God in his church I am toying with the idea of being baptised again under my new name when I have transitioned, it may have to be in a different church buyt it will make me feel that I have been truthfull and that means a great deal to me.

These decisions are never easy - but then what is.

Love ya,

Sally

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rayne1

I know this is an older post but I was curious as to how you made out with the pastor.

I just told mine and it did not go as well as I had hoped for, but now it is done.

I have been attending a Baptist church that my parents are a member of for several months now. Although my parents are members of the church I am not. The pastor came up to me after the service this last sunday and asked if I would like to officially become a member of the church. I told him I would like to sit down and talk with him first. No one at the church besides my parents knows about me being trans, but with the prospect of transitioning begining within a year I am hesitant to become a member of the church just to end up in a precarious situation. Monday me and my mother talked about me sitting down and having a discussion with the pastor. I suppose I am a little afraid to out my self to the church because it has been such a struggle for me to find a church that I enjoy so much, but I would also like them to Love me for who I am and I am not being completely honest with them as is. The church has fairly traditional baptist views on homosexuality, but their church guideline does not evan talk about transgender issues. I am certain the initial reaction will be about the same as my parents if not more conservative. I almost feel "called" to show these people that there is more to transsexuals then what they have seen from the mass media.

I know that the only person who can decide to do this is me, but I guess what I want is some prayer and a pep talk.

Guest Sarinah

Actually I am going to go talk to him today after the wednesday night bible study. We have had allot schedule conflicts and so have not met yet.

Guest Sarinah

Well, I just got back from the pastors. I was amazed at his understanding. I found out that he originally got his degree in Psychology and was amazingly knowledgable and completely understanding and non-judgemental. He said I could come to him any time to talk wether I needed a friends, pastor, or councelor. In regards to transitioning he said that is something that should be considered on an individual basis and he saw no moral or scriptural problems with it. He did however say that there would be some in the church that will not be accepting and that I should be cautious. Considering that this is a somewhat conservative baptist church right smack dab in the middle of the Bible belt I am very fortunate to get such a positive response from the pastor.

To my fellow Christians here on Lauras I would just like to say, put your faith in God to lead you and he will direct you to where you need to be.

Guest S. Chrissie

Wow..that's awesome and empowering Sarinah. :D

The pastor is really God-sent, bless his Soul.

I am glad you found a church, leader in particularly, accepting :)

Sherlyn

That's great news, Sarinah. It's a start and a positive one at that. Please keep us post on how things are going.

Gennee

:D