• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ideas to transform masculine clothes to femenine ones

Natasha

The title is pretty self explanatory.

I want to experiment with clothes (having my own clothes that fit my body), but still don't manage to find the courage to buy female clothes.

So as a work around, for experimenting at home, I was thinking that maybe I could transform some of my masculine clothes or buy some and transform them at home to fit my needs while practicing a bit of sewing, which I would like to learn.

For now I have transformed some boxers to look like panties. It was entertaining to do and they made me feel quite liberated while wearing them. For top underwear I still don't know how to do it though.

Also, I was thinking about buying aprons and transform them to skirts and dresses. I got the idea after some experimentation with an old apron I had at home and it actually looked quite well.

Does anyone have other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Forum Moderator

Over the years I would alway alter my jeans to fit my body better since I liked them fitted.  I remember my therapist asking at my first appointment if I was wearing women's clothing.  You can alter shirts as well to shorten the sleeves and take in the sides a little.  Look at how women's clothing is shaped and you can see the differences.  Sewing can be rewarding once you get a hold on how to do it correctly. 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

I have several jean skirts that were cut and sewn from worn pants.  They are amongst my favorites but i'm sure they need a strong machine to make.  

You can also make some pretty extreme cutoffs but most women wouldn't ever wear them.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I have transformed shirts in the past, taking in the waist to give a more feminine tailored look. Sewing really came into it's own though when adjusting female clothing to fit better. I have also designed and made bikini bottoms which, although looking feminine, fit the tucked male anatomy better as they have the inbuilt strength that normal bikini bottoms don't have.

Tracy

• 1 month later...

I’m making some skirts out of some of my male jeans. But I did realize one thing, advantage of using male clothes is I will actually have pockets.

• Forum Moderator
28 minutes ago, JustineM said:

I will actually have pockets.

Ha!  Yes.  

Different sized A-shirts are easy to use as tank tops, skirts, dresses and even night gowns. They are clingy and not thick. I would pull them up around my hips and they would be instant skirts, ranging from mini, medium and maxi. Using the 2xl and 3xl are instant  dresses. Since you can sew, you could alter them to whatever you want. Extremely versatile. 

• 1 month later...

The difference between a tunic and t-shirt is minimal except for a bit of extra fabric.

I've been experimenting with some fabrics trying to get the feel and look I want.

But fleece is easy to sew if you're not versed on the process. Plus it makes a nice fuzzy warm thing to pullover for winter!

Pay attention to clothing on women that you find interesting, see if you can figure out how it's cut and built, try it in muslin first so you're not out a lot of money.

My first sewing machine was a yard sale find that was a bargain.

A good sewing machine with a rheostat foot control is very easy to master once you are able to use patterns. Most sewing shops sell patterns that come in paper envelopes and fold out into giant templates. To save them from wear you can use thin paper from the craft store to trace them out and make a copy. Once you get good at it you can always use ideas from the patterns to alter clothes. Maybe even do some of the conversions mentioned above with more generic clothing. I imagine that T-shirt dresses are pretty easy, and body con T-shirt dresses can double as a top. I might try that sometime when I find a T-shirt I like that’s only available in 2xl or something. 

Ive always wanted to try sewing, but never started. Any suggestions on what machine to start with and  any other tips?

• Admin
Just now, Ellora said:

Ive always wanted to try sewing, but never started. Any suggestions on what machine to start with and  any other tips?

Go to a fabric store such as JoAnn Fabrics where the give sewing lessons and let you try some of the machines.  I still have my mothers old old old Singer, but Brother and a couple more are pretty good.  I would do the lessons first though,  They do have students who are all genders so there is no problem with who is in it.  Also, you might want to check with your local adult school and see what they have as well.  Lot of fun. 

I've been trying to find one that does surging, has the foot control, and can sew through tougher material.  Amazon doesn't have a whole lot in the descriptions about that type of thing so I've had a hard time finding what I want.

Just to pigback from Ellora and JB...Not sure what body type you are but I love wearing 2xl Basketball jersey you can alter then a bit they make great Mini shirts and great to wear over yr bikini when your at the beach. Sew id def on my today list. Thanks Vicki for the heads..I def hit up JoAnne I think the one near close but I will goggle it.

• Forum Moderator
26 minutes ago, Julielynn said:

I've been trying to find one that does surging, has the foot control, and can sew through tougher material.  Amazon doesn't have a whole lot in the descriptions about that type of thing so I've had a hard time finding what I want.

It's worth looking on some of the manufacturer's sites. I use a mid range Janome which works for most of what I need. The decision I had was between buying a standard machine or an overlocker. For versatility I decided on the standard but, as I do quite a bit with stretch material, I could still happily use both LOL. There is quite a bit of information on their site, but they are obviously selling. I find the machine good but found add-ons expensive. There are a lot of cheaper pattern feet etc available at a lower price.

https://www.janome.com/chooser/

Tracy

Usually the tougher sewing machines are going to be the old singers like your great grandmas only more robust. I would look for them at auctions and flea markets, real flea markets, not the modern Chinese knock off mall with fast food vendors. Some sewing machines are called patchers and are tough enough to punch through leather. The fine control is done from the hand wheel at the top of the machine so you can go really slow on a stitch without using the motor. It’s helpful when following precise contours like putting patches on a coat or jackets. You won’t find these on Amazon and the ones they advertise as heavy duty there and at the fabric store are junk compared to the industrial ones that can actually sew through leather belts. Usually the ones on amazon are only good for normal fabric and some can be programmed to do 500 fancy stitches. If you’re sewing leather you also want a very heavy chisel tip needle. It’s actually sharpened to a razor sharp point with a cutting edge. Most regular needles are not strong enough for that and pierce through instead of cut because they are simply going between fibers. It’s frustrating to break a needle and have to rethread the machine, but usually the older ones are actually easier. What’s even more frustrating is the bobbin spool. And good quality thread will prevent bunching or other thread nightmares. I miss sewing on a decent machine and maybe some day I’ll be able to afford a really nice table mounted one made for heavier materials. 

4 hours ago, Julielynn said:

A good heavy duty zigzag capable machine is what you probably seek. A serger has limited capabilities, making seams that join two edges wonderfully, but won't do many basic sewing functions.

I currently have a fairly high end Janome, but my original was an old Sears machine.

Bernini, Brother, Janome, Juki, Singer all have good machines and not so good machines. A zigzag machine, plus other "feet" will give you a lot of capability. You'll know when you've outgrown it.

Beware industrial machines. High speed (faster than a beginner can cope with) and high power (sewing through 8 layers of canvas for instance) they are outside most beginner needs.

You can learn to adapt a pattern - or make your own - to your measurements. It's fairly simple. Start with taking your measurements and writing them down. Commercial patterns will list measurements for their different sizes. Online videos can help you understand how to adapt a pattern or resize it.

50 minutes ago, Josie Beth said:

Usually the tougher sewing machines are going to be the old singers like your great grandmas only more robust. I would look for them at auctions and flea markets, real flea markets, not the modern Chinese knock off mall with fast food vendors. Some sewing machines are called patchers and are tough enough to punch through leather. The fine control is done from the hand wheel at the top of the machine so you can go really slow on a stitch without using the motor. It’s helpful when following precise contours like putting patches on a coat or jackets. You won’t find these on Amazon and the ones they advertise as heavy duty there and at the fabric store are junk compared to the industrial ones that can actually sew through leather belts. Usually the ones on amazon are only good for normal fabric and some can be programmed to do 500 fancy stitches. If you’re sewing leather you also want a very heavy chisel tip needle. It’s actually sharpened to a razor sharp point with a cutting edge. Most regular needles are not strong enough for that and pierce through instead of cut because they are simply going between fibers. It’s frustrating to break a needle and have to rethread the machine, but usually the older ones are actually easier. What’s even more frustrating is the bobbin spool. And good quality thread will prevent bunching or other thread nightmares. I miss sewing on a decent machine and maybe some day I’ll be able to afford a really nice table mounted one made for heavier materials. 

Juki, Sailrite and others will do that.

I've also seen a few old Singers (almost got one, but the opportunity got away) that weighed a ton and would sew through a 1" thick heavy canvas - or your finger if you let it get away from you.

I have my grandmother's foot pedal or treadle powered Singer for sewing heavy items.

You're absolutely right that most advertised "heavy duty" machines aren't anything but heavy duty plastic.

Mine is a quilting machine, but capable of almost anything but serging or embroidery - it even does a coverstitch, buttonholes, stretch stitches, etc.

Has anyone considered the possbility of taking your old masculine clothes and giving them to charity

Then buying yourself some Fem clothes to replace them from the shop or store that you handed them into?

Saves all that sewing and such like and costs you little. But also gives you a feeling of "I did something good today"

Just thinking out the box.

That’s a possibility. Unfortunately there’s not many thrift stores nearby that are really affordable. Red racks is one of the most prolific and it’s actually just as cheap to shop Walmart or amazon. The only one worth doing that in is goodwill and they are too far from me to make the trip easily. I can get very slightly used clothes for pennies. The reason they are cheaper is that they don’t rely on clothing sales to cover operating expenses like most others, and keeping the inventory fresh means they move items more often. So they can justify low prices. All the other places seem to hang on to inventory forever. I’m almost certain that some of the same T-shirts are on the same hangers and have been for the last 8 years. So I question whether they are actually putting the money into a charity from the clothing sales if nothing moves. I’m sure it’s a different management perspective that dictates pricing. One is a tried and true charity model and the other is trying to be a retail store. 

• Forum Moderator

I turned some of my old business causal male slacks into skirts, that was pretty easy :)

• Forum Moderator

Just an addition on sewing heavy material, but, if it is uncommon maybe it's not worth budgeting for. At work I needed to sew heavy webbing for an approach to some equipment I was constructing and equipped myself with leather needles and strong thread for hand sewing. The small amount I did didn't justify buying a machine to do it. When I left that side of things folded so I still have them. It's hard work but for small numbers of items, justified and rewarding. It always helps to be able to hand sew as machines are not perfect for every task. I do agree though that standard machines do balk a bit at thick materials, specifically multiple seam joins. I have yet to totally master them although it is probably mainly my inexperience.

I have noticed that old sewing machines generally go for a song here in the Uk and an old Singer is often £30 or less. On the antique hunt type of programs I see though, more unusual or heavier industrial machines can fetch far higher prices.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

Walking through thrift shops you will frequently see sewing machines for a song.  I have a Singer I bought new in 1975. It's a free arm model ( I was too poor to buy the table attachment and case ) that I love and it is so versatile.

Jani 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 177 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • MaeBe
    • Ivy
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • Selkimur