• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ronin82

Deepening voice, and I LIKE it!!

Ronin82

Recently I've noticed my voice is deepening, thanks to T. I sing along with the radio, and my voice is not able to hit the high notes anymore, but I can hit lower notes I could never reach before! It's quite an experience changing my mindset from Alto/low soprano, to a truer Alto. Even my speaking voice is noticeably lower! The interesting thing is, my singing precision hasn't changed, I just have to "transpose" my usual vocal range to something lower. Some songs I had to drop a whole octave! This is cool...seriously considering a new hairstyle to go with my lower voice, something DEFINITELY masculine! Just hope it doesn't throw my family into orbit since they still don't know I'm actually trans...

To all those who are afraid of what T will do to your singing voice, it will change the range and tone, but you will most likely still have the vocal skills you have now. I'm going to wait for my voice to stabilize, then take a couple of lessons from a vocal coach to fine-tune some things, but so far its been fun playing with my new voice in the car! Doing a lot of trial and error to see how to sing my favorite songs now.

tracy_j

That sounds good - in more ways than one LOL. I'm glad it's going well. Singing is probably a good way of keeping things in check although a professional view will likely help.

Tracy

Jani

Very nice, I'm glad you're happy with the changes.  I agree with @tracy_j that singing is a good thing! 

Jani

Charlize

My experiences with the effects of T were different.  As a prepubescent child i sang in a choir but with puberty the frogs grew and while enthusiasm remained abilty seemed to disappear.  It seems a bit unfair that E doesn't give me back that younger voice.

Enjoy your changes.  I still love singing but duets aren't recommended.

Hugs,

Charlize

mochi90
On 9/13/2019 at 12:01 AM, Ronin82 said:

To all those who are afraid of what T will do to your singing voice, it will change the range and tone, but you will most likely still have the vocal skills you have now. I'm going to wait for my voice to stabilize, then take a couple of lessons from a vocal coach to fine-tune some things, but so far its been fun playing with my new voice in the car! Doing a lot of trial and error to see how to sing my favorite songs now.

This makes me happy because I was worried about my singing voice. Right now, my voice is very scratchy and it feels like I have a sore throat. I think my voice has gone down a little, but not too much. I'm just really surprised at how quickly these changes are happening. 

Ronin82

Yeah, they are happening a lot faster than I expected. I have noticed a thickening in my throat that is sometimes uncomfortable, but I remind myself that's a good thing! It's taking a lot of experimentation to find my new voice, I frequently have to fake a higher voice at home since my parents aren't trans-friendly and were freaking out that I was taking T at all!!Singing will be tricky for a while, but I remind myself this is a gradual process...isn't it? Is the voice thing  pretty quick, or does it take a while to change completely and stabilize? From what I remember of my brother, his voice changed fairly quickly without a lot of cracking, and that seems to be what mine is doing now...no cracking, just suddenly can hit lower notes.

OliverPerry

On 9/13/2019 at 5:01 AM, Ronin82 said:

To all those who are afraid of what T will do to your singing voice, it will change the range and tone, but you will most likely still have the vocal skills you have now.

Cool thing that!

I'm a still in the closet pre-everything FTM and I'm a soprano (soprano leggero, which is really high)

I've been singing for years and it's part of my professional life. 

Loosing my singing skills worry me when thinking about the possibility of transitioning. Knowing that I can keep them is bloody great. 

I've always wanted a male singing voice. I don't have to be a bass though, tenor is just fine. 

Now I know this is something I don't need to worry about. If I ever find the courage to come out and transition that is...

Ronin82

Just to keep updated, I am having the crackies right now. I'm staying in practice singing, but I think it will take some time to stabilize and mature my singing voice in the range I have now. Thinking some voice therapy or singing lessons may be a thing. If your livelihood depends on your voice, I'd be very careful, and be prepared to take time off while the voice changes. Keeping a singing voice is a total craps-shoot, from what I understand. @OliverPerry there is no way to know for sure how your body will change. I POSSIBLY got lucky, but I'm still shifting and will need professional help to find and polish my voice appropriately. I don't depend on my voice for income, so I wasn't too concerned with what happened. However, I am pleased so far with the results. Thankfully, no one can hear me singing in my car as I look for the right notes, and adapt to the new vocal range! Gotta say, not being able to sing some of the songs I used to love to belt out is a little saddening, but I'm finding new favorites.

OliverPerry
42 minutes ago, Ronin82 said:

Just to keep updated, I am having the crackies right now. I'm staying in practice singing, but I think it will take some time to stabilize and mature my singing voice in the range I have now. Thinking some voice therapy or singing lessons may be a thing. If your livelihood depends on your voice, I'd be very careful, and be prepared to take time off while the voice changes. Keeping a singing voice is a total craps-shoot, from what I understand. @OliverPerry there is no way to know for sure how your body will change. I POSSIBLY got lucky, but I'm still shifting and will need professional help to find and polish my voice appropriately. I don't depend on my voice for income, so I wasn't too concerned with what happened. However, I am pleased so far with the results. Thankfully, no one can hear me singing in my car as I look for the right notes, and adapt to the new vocal range! Gotta say, not being able to sing some of the songs I used to love to belt out is a little saddening, but I'm finding new favorites.

Back to being absolutely frightened with transitioning!

Why can't trans men simply switch with trans women?

It would make everything way less troublesome. 

DeeDee
7 hours ago, OliverPerry said:

*sigh* something I have found myself wondering too! 😊 lol.

Ronin82

Me too!! I would much rather just switch bodies with a guy who wants to switch with me. There's an anime about a teenage boy and girl who switch bodies, and its funny, but they aren't trans. Still love that movie, and my very transphobic brother LOVED that anime!

NB Adult  (Inactive)
43 minutes ago, Ronin82 said:

Me too!! I would much rather just switch bodies with a guy who wants to switch with me. There's an anime about a teenage boy and girl who switch bodies, and its funny, but they aren't trans. Still love that movie, and my very transphobic brother LOVED that anime!

We often refer to that as a real "Swap Meat!" 😝

Jackie C.
15 hours ago, OliverPerry said:

This is a really personal thing. I went through regular male puberty and I think I can count on one hand how many times my voice actually broke during puberty. However, voice therapists exist for a reason. I'm a little flat with my singing voice right now, but as an actor you know how this works: Practice. Practice. Practice.

Completely agree with the body swaps though. It would make things SO much easier. Though society in general more confusing. How do you keep track of people if body swapping is on the table. There'd be a huge market for old, rich criminals looking to buy a new body for themselves to disappear into. Maybe better if we could build the bodies from scratch though. Still probably expensive and probably impractical. It's fun to dream though.

Hugs!