• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How important is support (bras)?

ToniTone

So, I'm almost at a year of mtf hrt transitioning. As y'all who keep up with my posts know, I have developed my breasts. They're not big, but they're still growing (as sore as ever too)! Round, firm and totally recognizable as female, solid A-cup. They hang a bit too... 

I've been going braless all this time. Not that I'm averse to wearing one. But I've been enjoying the freedom of going commandette if you will, lol. 

I'm just wondering if it's high time to start wearing a trainer? Will going braless cause my breasts to develop with a sag?Would it help them develop to be firmer and more perky if I wear a trainer?

~Toni

20200318_235439.thumb.jpg.00b15dc636d459a8e55fbad720347a0e.jpg

I better stop, feeling a lil lewd. 

But you get the idea, is it time to start wearing a bra?

• Forum Moderator

You’re kidding?  Short answer: yes, about 4 months ago..lol

I bought acouple of these sports bras about 5-6 months ago just until my breasts develop their full size then i'll get an actual bra with a wire once i know what cup size i need to get.(I'm only three months away from hitting a full year) but they're extremely comfortable and will work. At first the foam pads would cover my breasts completely as they were alittle too big but it still did its job, until i noticed this past month that now my breasts have grown, the pads are pushed outwards like a bra should be, they still feel super comfortable, i even wear them every night to bed. & theres a little pocket hole on the insides so you can bend the pads to take out and wash, etc.

I RECOMMEND these sports bra as they can be perfect for everyday wear or events, they have polka-dots-style with hearts, floral and plain. I got the plain white and black polka hearts x-large but I'd say get the large instead.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07R8Z2CW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Susan R Why, what happened 4 months ago? Is 7-8 months hrt bitty time?

@The Viv Element Thank you hun, those are cute! Kinda what I'm looking for. I don't shop on Amazon tho. I'm kinda... old school I guess? I dunno, I like malls I guess...

No, I'm not kidding. I'm really asking these questions. I want to help the perkiness and growth of my natural breasts, and want to know if support will aid that, or if they'll grow how they will regardless.

There's a myth that tribal women have low hanging breasts because they never wore a bra a day in their life. I don't know how trie that is though... Almost all the cis women I know irl don't seem to remember those details from their puberty... So I'm asking y'all ladies whose puberty is as of more recent... How important is a supportive bra in the development of our breasts?

Those sports bra's i mentioned are typically for keeping your breasts in place and also compliment your body for a nice shape, so that way your breasts aren't all over the place when you're getting physical through fitness/sports or even just moving around in general. Which is why i love them as my "PJs" bra since it helps me sleep without the hassle of pushing your breasts around. It also gives me a boost of confidence because it feels like I have "control" of my breasts lol. I don't think they'll actually help keep your breasts perky over time but again, we're still in our early ages of breast growth and most of it relies on DNA & body weight i would imagine.

In 2013, a study was conducted in France of 330 different women between the ages of 18-35. Over 15 years

They found no evidence that wearing a bra gave you any benefits.

Think of it this way. to keep them pert the muscles holding them have to be strong. putting on a bra keeps those muscles from exercising.

Therefore by the basic principals of exercise. the muscles will get weak and your girls start to go south. Which in reality will happen regardless The bigger the more weight they will have to surport..

I think I would say. Yes, wear a bra. But don't wear it 24/7 give those girls some air.

I said in another thread. I can't wait to get mine off as soon as I can. But I'm a C cup. mine do go south a little when it's off. Its an age.  thing and the extra weight i have with them. But this is my own preference for the wearing of bras.

You know your own body and mindset.

But what I would say is, If you want to keep them where they are supposed to then exercise those relative muscles regularly. Eat well and stay healthy and do,t wear it all the time.

BTW, Nice pictires. Your transition is coming along very well :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

I think I would say. Yes, wear a bra. But don't wear it 24/7 give those girls some air.

I agree with this. 

Her whole post was something I was going to mention actually but she beat me to it.  LOL

Gravity is not our friend girls!

For most MTF wearing a bra is reaffirming our femininity and seems so awesome but in reality it can hasten our chest muscle weakness the hold them lovelies.  

• Forum Moderator
11 hours ago, ToniTone said:

@Susan R Why, what happened 4 months ago? Is 7-8 months hrt bitty time?

Reread your statement then my reply below.  I was jokingly saying “in other words”...you’re way past that and have needed a bra for the last ...4 months...it was more of a compliment about your development than anything. Sorry you thought I was making fun in some fashion.

13 hours ago, ToniTone said:

I'm just wondering if it's high time to start wearing a trainer?

12 hours ago, Susan R said:

You’re kidding?  Short answer: yes, about 4 months ago..lol

My Best,

Susan R?

Oh, ok I was kinda wondering if you meant it like that. And thank you!

Sorry, I've been panicking about this and other things for a while now. All the cis females I've asked about it said they don't know, they don't remember or seemed akwarded out when I asked. Leave it to me make it awkward! Anyway, I was wondering if it's something I should know or just figure out on my own or something...

Anyway, thanks y'all for responses and advice! I should have known the answer would hsve more complexity than "yes, you need bra all the time!" or "no, set them free forever!"

~Toni

Without doubt ding creepy I think your breasts are nice!  Cute and In a way that is good!  Jmo

i say get some bras on and start wearing them girl!

You don't sound creepy. I eat compliments for breakfast! Nom nom nom nom!

I have a couple sports bras. But last O tried them on (a few months ago) they didn't quite feel filled in or like they were being supported. The band is about the right size though. I should try them again. I'm a wee bit bigger than I was then. 

~Toni

• Forum Moderator
14 hours ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

In 2013, a study was conducted in France of 330 different women between the ages of 18-35. Over 15 years

They found no evidence that wearing a bra gave you any benefits.

I was going to say the same thing although I wasn't aware of that study.  I've read many times that they truly aren't needed and are primarily used for vanity and maybe comfort for those with larger breasts.  

I have read this too and the thing that impressed upon me. Was a bra can support to a point where your muscle no longer can on there own.
Im still wearing one.  Lol 

I'm getting the impression for those of us with smaller breasts it doesn't have much effect either way. The breasts will develop as they will. 

It's not that I'm averse to wearing one. It is very affirming to wear them. But it's nice to know it's an option I van safely accept or decline to. 

Also, this is kinda sad, but I'm living paycheck to paycheck at the moment, and have little budget to go bra shopping. As I mentioned I have just a couple sports bras for now. 

~Toni

For the near future a bra is not on my horizon. I'm just barely in the nub stage or large man boob stage. As long as things stay put fairly well I will refrain from adopting one.

However, it is on my pay attention to list.

TA

• Forum Moderator
12 hours ago, ToniTone said:

I'm getting the impression for those of us with smaller breasts it doesn't have much effect either way. The breasts will develop as they will. 

Yeah. Day to day it isn't much of an issue with my little girls. However, when I'm working out a sports bra isn't optional because of the motion and, more importantly, the sensitivity. Without some extra support it's just too darn uncomfortable.

It also helps me look my best in a tank top, but that's secondary. I do not generally look my best at the gym.

I guess the moral of the story is: You need support if your breasts are uncomfortable while you're doing whatever it is you're doing.

Though I still wear one when I'm going out in public as a courtesy to others. It doesn't take much for me to get "headlights" that show through my shirt if I don't. The general public is not cleared for my nipples.

Hugs!

I'm AFAB, so I feel like I can weigh in on this subject. In middle school I grew some huge knockers, and by high school was a double g cup. I joked I needed an iron cage for the girls, since I was very active in sports and horseback riding. Lemme tell ya, big boobs HURT if they're swinging around unchecked! Getting a reduction was the best thing I ever did. Dropped to a C/D cup, and now I go braless unless I'm at work or participating in a sport involving other people around. Here's the scoop on bras and breast health:

- Sports bras are designed to keep the motion to a minimum. This is good if you're larger. That said, motion has a way of keeping the lymph nodes flushed out, as well as keeping breast support muscles toned. The more you wear a bra, the less motion and muscle use you have. Try to balance out bra wear with time spent free-range.

- Underwire bra use has a statistically significant correlation with breast cancer. If you want a pretty bra, try to find one without an actual wire. They do exist, and won't cause cancerous growths where the wire pokes the underlying tissues.

- Socially, bras are literally JUST to hide the fact that women have boobs with nipples. They're a way of keeping guys from watching your girls move around and getting distracted. Growing up, my parents were adamant that I hide the fact that my nipples existed by wearing bras constantly, even just around the house.

Long story short, if you need real support by all means wear a bra (without a wire!). If you don't NEED support, don't wear a bra unless you just want to, then wear the least restrictive bra you can find and afford. This is just my experience. Any questions, hit me up.

• Forum Moderator

No one has brought this up but as your breast grow you may notice they are not symmetrical.  In most women, the left breast is usually slightly larger than the right.  Very few women have perfectly symmetrical breasts. A slight difference in size — up to 20 percent — between the right and left breast is normal. 

Breasts are getting larger too!  I've read the average U.S. woman has gone from 34B to 34DD in just the last 20 years! 

Thank you for all your advice and factoids y'all! ?

Yeah, my left breast is ever so slightly larger than the right. The left breast bud started to develop before the right one as well. The right one caught up quick though. 

I always wear them just because I don't want saggy girls down the line. and I'm a B cup. If you don't, you'll probably stretch Cooper's ligament. Or the suspensory ligament of the breast.

My left breast is smaller than the right by a bit. I've been operated on 2x for gynecomastia. And I'm hoping that the surgeon didn't damage the left side.