• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Medicare/Medicade coverage?

HollyElizabeth

I have questions about medicaid/medicare coverage in Illinois for things like facial feminization and breast augmentation. After looking for a couple hours I havent been able to find any information on whether either covers those for trans women. I even called medicare to see if I could get an answer. You won't believe this but the girl on the other side had no clue if either were covered. She just said to ask your doctor to submit a claim before and see if they say yes or no. Does anyone know if medicaid/medicare cover these two things. If I only get one I want the facial feminization, thats like 50 thousand and a boob job is like 4 thousand on average. They want me to have the gastric sleeve surgery and I expect to lose at least 200lbs, there goes my breasts. I can buy fake breast but I cant make myself more female looking with a masculine face. I know the bottom surgery is covered. I plan on doing that as soon as I can. It would be nice to get it all done around the same time.

So anyone know if facial feminization and breast augmentation are covered under Illinois insurance?

I did a Google search and found this https://www.sj-r.com/news/20200109/illinois-medicaid-now-covers-transgender-therapy   which says that genital surgery and breast surgery are covered by medicaid in Illinois. It does not mention facial feminization or electrolysis. This source also discusses transgender care and various states' medicaid.

I saw that but I think they mean FTM  breast surgery. The removal of the breast. I'm wanting to know it they cover implants.

• Forum Moderator

They probably do but for reconstruction after cancer.  I can't imagine BA would have been on their minds when writing the protocols.  As for genetic women, BA is considered cosmetic.  It appears to be one of the less expensive surgeries too, due to the demand and number of doctors who perform it.  

4 hours ago, HollyNoel said:

I expect to lose at least 200lbs, there goes my breasts.

Not necessarily Holly.  You may be surprised.  

Jani

I found this site https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/089/089001400D04130R.html that says, "The Department will cover all gender-affirming surgeries, services and procedures that are medically necessary to treat a particular individual's gender dysphoria and are listed on the Department's fee schedule and in the Practitioner Handbook. Gender-affirming surgeries, services and procedures shall include, but are not limited to, breast/chest surgeries, genital surgeries, and related therapies."

I found a fee schedule here: https://www.illinois.gov/hfs/SiteCollectionDocuments/CopyOf06032020PractitionerFeeScheduleEffective04012020Final.pdf and a list of codes for procedures associated with gender affirming surgery: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/coverage/determinationProcess/downloads/Kalra_comment_01022016.pdf . The code for breast augmentation, 19316, is listed on the fee schedule with a state maximum of $567.10, though I don't know exactly what the state maximum means. For example, I don't know if things like anaesthesia or the hospital fee count toward the state maximum.

Jani, in my mind BA is necessary for my well being. I know they will say it's not but to me having breast is one of the things that make a woman whole on the outside. Yes all they are is fat cells, but if they are willing to do reconstruction surgery for cancer, then shouldn't they be willing to do it for our piece of minds. I'm not going to hold my breath, but it would be nice. Jani, I hope you are right. I hope when I lose the weight I get to keep my breast.

Dana thank you. I hope BA is covered at least in part. I would be willing to make payments. Breasts aren't the only part of being a woman, but if you don't have them people notice.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 191 Guests (See full list)

• VickySGV
    • Michelle_S
    • Cynthia Slowan
    • Abigail Genevieve
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

gender_equality_nccu
    Newest Member
    gender_equality_nccu

1. Billie75B
      Billie75B
      (67 years old)
    2. Chloe Cloud
      Chloe Cloud
      (32 years old)
    3. Hannah Emma
      Hannah Emma
      (41 years old)
    4. Joan Arbour
      Joan Arbour
      (77 years old)
    5. Liz B
      Liz B
      (49 years old)
    • Willow
      @KymmieL do they have you on anti depressants?  Are they certain they are the right ones for you?  Has a psychiatrist been involved?  My physician first put me on an anti depressant and when things got worse for me he added one that was the initial cause of my cancer.  My therapist recommended I had a different need changed things. My psychiatrist agreed with the particular underlying condition and the choice of medications.   everyone is different but if one medication isn’t working there are many different types and different underlying conditions that require different treatments.  No meds mentioned because what didn’t work and what did all depends on your case, not mine.   Willow
    • Cynthia Slowan
      To me loving myself means having the courage to live the way I want and to be me.     I hardly ever really like how I look but I feel good knowing I am trying to be the best version of myself that I can be. It is definitely a struggle sometimes though.  💗Cynthia 
    • Cynthia Slowan
      When I am sitting out on my patio in a nice pretty dress, full makeup, with a glass of wine watching a storm roll in!       💗 Cynthia 
    • Cynthia Slowan
      I had a five hour road trip today.  I’m trying to grow my hair out so I just pushed it back with a pink hair band, lipstick and gloss, no makeup.    White spaghetti strap top, short black skirt, white sandals with pink toenails!  A couple of rings and bracelets, necklace and hoop earrings.   I felt like a hot mess but it’s my favorite way to travel!  
    • KymmieL
      Glad you had a good day, @Willow Mine on the other hand sucked. I have been screwing up again, I even got written up. I may have to educate them on major depression and disability. not that it will work.    OH, well. May be another job I lost because of me. Yes, my depression is about down at the magma level   Kym
    • Lydia_R
      This bag is really working out for me.  I had worn out the back on my yin-yang bag so I picked this one up.  It wasn't long before I cut off the flap on it and braided a hemp strap for it.  The zipper is the best feature.  I can spin the bag around and I'm not afraid of losing anything.  I've taught myself to keep all the essential things in it and nothing more.  Here is what made the cut:   Notepad Sharpie Ballpoint Pen Teaspoon Glasses Phone (most of the time) Wired Headphones and/or Bluetooth Carmex and/or Lipstick Flash Drive Current Braiding Project Wallet Hair Clip   And on my keys I have my one inch Swiss Army Knife with scissors and a bottle opener that I like using with mason jar lids.   I don't miss pockets at all now.  The bag is fun and practical.  I can set it on the ground to get everything off my body.  If I need something, I'm looking for a fairly large object.  I always have something to work on with the braiding project.
    • Ivy
      Just keep up with your blood work
    • Abigail Genevieve
      You can ask a moderator to make the change for you.
    • missyjo
      started Spiro very recently..told to expect it like Lasix  you'll pee, a lot. have some other complications so we're taking this cautiously . heard something about slightly higher risk for OA too. hugs to all. 
    • MAN8791
      Mine was Hatshepsut, an Egyptian pharaoh who had to carry herself as a male in order to rule. I was completely facinated by her as a student.
    • Willow
      Well it was a good day at work I got everything done I needed to do. My audits came out right and everything.  I had to fix the printer on one pump. It wouldn’t cut the paper and needed two parts replaced.  The District Manager left us Thank you bags,  Murphy Bucks and candy.  We can use Murphy bucks to buy things in the store, or pay for gas.  I guess next week the Area Manager will be around to check on things.  He would be the next layer higher.  Well my eyelids are starting to get heavy, time for a nap.thats the only thing about opening the store it definitely causes me to need a nap.    
    • Vidanjali
      Interesting point. I was raised Catholic and was intensely intrigued by the lives of saints. Similar to your obsession with Mulan, I was particularly drawn to Joan of Arc, a 15th century saint who took on the guise of a man to lead the French army to victory over the English in the Hundred Years' War. Later, she was sold out by the Burgundians to the English who brought multiple charges against her as a heretic, including claiming she could communicate directly with God (which undermined the church's authority), and wearing men's clothes. At one point, while imprisoned, she was made to dress in women's clothes, which she did, but was later found again in men's attire which she said she preferred. She was eventually burnt at the stake at age 19. Rather gruesome tale, but not atypical of the stories of Catholic martyrs. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I just read something a FB friend posted about guilt.  I am changing it somewhat for here.   There are things you should not feel guilty about because they are not wrong.  Being transgender is one. People like to send us on guilt-trips about it, intentionally or unintentionally.   There are things you have actual guilt about whether you feel guilty or not.  If you murder someone, you may not feel any guilt.   The FEELING of guilt can be widely separated from objective guilt. All of us need to train ourselves to not feel guilty about things we are not guilty of,, and to feel guilty about the things we are guilty of.  It is not easy.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Jeans, t-shirt, flip-flops.
    • Vidanjali
      Good news. That just means you're normal!   Understand that thoughts leading to thoughtlessness is a VERY high ideal. Those who aspire to that may spend their entire life working on it and only ever glimpse momentary stillness. In fact, I'm reminded of a story which was relayed to me recently about a yogic master who was interviewed and asked - In deep meditation, how long can you sustain a still mind before another thought creeps in? You may expect the master to reply hours or perhaps even days. His answer - 7 seconds. The thing is, as long as you're operating with a human brain, thoughts will go on. In Bhagavad Gita chapter 6, verse 34, Arjuna (who represents every individual) complains to Lord Krishna (who represents the Higher Self), "The mind is very restless, turbulent, strong and obstinate, O Krishna. It appears to me that it is more difficult to control than the wind." Such is the nature of mind. The difference, though, is in learning gradually to not identify with thought, but rather to become the dispassionate witness of thoughts, like clouds passing in the sky, or often more poignant a simile, like high speed trains rushing by. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.