• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Informed consent for hormones

Kristin Lynne

Kristin Lynne

Hello everyone. I had a heart transplant almost 6 years ago. After my recovery my cardiologist told me that I could go and do anything any normal person could do. When I recently approached the subject of hrt with him. he said absolutely not. I became very depressed. I recently found out about a program offered by the Howard Brown clinic in Chicago and on Line from a company called Transclinique where you are seen by a doctor, you get the needed blood tests and you sign a release that you understand what can and may happen from hrt use. After they review the blood test results with you they give you the hormones then monitor you every 3 months. My question is has anyone used this type of service/ Is it safe? 

• Root Admin

In an otherwise healthy person, they are generally OK, but I am not going to recommend them to people to use.  If you have had a heart transplant though, while your physical activities may approach normal, you are playing with dynamite.  Your doctor has informed you that the are dangerous and if you need that doctor to care for you,  you risk severing the patient / doctor relation that until now has kept you alive.  Choose life please.  Check with another doctor or get your doctor more information and he may change his mind.  I do not want you going behind his back though. 

I started HRT at a PP clinic under informed consent.  They wouldn’t give me estrogen because of my age, but did give me spiro.   I was on it 3 months before I had another blood test, and got really bad sick due to my sodium dropping.   I thought I was dying.    I can’t take spiro apparently.    We tried again, but monitored it really close.   It started to drop again, so nope.   They gave me progesterone which was okay, but didn’t seem to do much.   

But after that I got accepted into the VA system.    Things have gone a lot better.    The endrocanologist (sp) put me on estradiol (after warning me of the risks).   They monitor me regularly and things have been okay.  

But I don’t really have any other health issues.  I would be really careful.   Things can go really bad.     

I hope you find a way to work things out for you.  

Hi Kristin,

Any time anyone needs certain kinds of special care, such as you do, it is not good to pursue that without a great deal of information and the inclusion of any current healthcare professionals you already have. They are warning you because this could do great harm to you based on what they know. It will not be helpful if you cause yourself irreparable harm in the process either. I'm sure you don't want that for yourself, nor does anyone else want that for you. I agree with Vicky 100%. You should completely involve your doctor and pursue information that may give them a way to still help you. I truly hope you find a healthy path towards achieving your goals. I don't know if it will make you feel better or not but, you are not alone. Many of us have run into situations that made progress difficult. However, this is part of what our community is great at though. We have each other to lean on when times are rough. None of us needs suffer these moments alone or in silence. Each and every one of us has something beautiful to share.

With hopeful regard,

Abigail

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 77 Guests (See full list)

• Emily michelle
    • JoniSteph
    • Bobbie Scott
    • VickySGV
    • JustineM
    • Cyndee
    • shelly_koleva83
    • Jandi
    • Kelsey Brooke
    • Kylie
    • RunValRun
    • K.S.S
    • MaryMary
    • DeeDee
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Lonewolf
    Newest Member
    Lonewolf

1. ghost
      ghost
      (57 years old)
    2. Julia Marie
      Julia Marie
      (29 years old)
    3. juliasvw
      juliasvw
      (49 years old)
    • K.S.S
      Hi, so this is pretty uncomfortable for me, talking about food, because it brings up a lot about my father. During my childhood my mother always had between 2 and 4 jobs, so she wasn't really home to see it and we didn't really tell her because we didn't know it was strange behavior. Of course she isn't stupid and confronted him when I started gaining a lot of weight at only age 2. She did her best trying to keep that stuff out of the house by my father had a "secret" cash flow and he would use it to get his own things at the downtown IGA / CVS store. So, my father would be left with just me because my (half)brother moved out/ ran away and my sister had just started preschool. He would just give me candy because I "needed something to do." As I got older, of course I was overweight so when he was angry with me he'd call me things like "ugly pig". When I got my first pair of glasses I became a dumb/ugly/fat librarian. It always seemed to make him laugh. Around my 14th birthday, we kicked him out and moved, but the damage was kind of done. Now I feel like I use food to pass the time AND when I'm upset but when I'm really hungry, (enough that I feel sick) I can't get myself to eat anything. I tell myself not to snack all the time but I still do about every other day. It doesn't help that no matter how often I explain that I'm struggling with my self control, the people I live with (my sister and her fiance) still pack the house with junk food.  I don't know what to do. If I start paying for therapy I'll never be able to afford my own place, and I'm not even sure where I'd go if I did leave. It feels like I don't matter enough to make the effort, I mean if my sister doesn't care why should I?     
    • KymmieL
      Kylie sorry your GYN appointment went so bad. Time heals all wounds. as they say.   kymmie
    •  Kylie
      I hope you have a better day today ❤️
    • Cyndee
      The long and winding road   HUGS   C
    •  Kylie
      Great news @Emily michelle! Hope the increase of E and addition of progesterone give you results!    I am up recovering from the horror from my first GYN appointment yesterday. I love the GYN but hated everything else. Hopefully I heal from that both physically and emotionally!    Hope everyone has a great day!
    • Shay
      Right before electrolysis and therapist appointments my wife said we had to talk. We did and it was a tearful and long discussion but I'm  glad she did. Had I not been on HRT I would have fallen apart but I was loving "in the moment" and gave my complete attention to her concerns.    It drained her and me ... We talked through the electrolysis and I called in to apologize and rescheduled but I did make my appointment with my Therapist and it was a very good meeting.   I am not good with expressing my emotions and she gave me home work to help and she gave wonderful advice to discuss with my wife and welcomed her at any session or alone but felt she isn't ready yet and that we two have more groundwork to do.   I'm lucky. I have a wonderful wife and friends here who understand and co feel so good to finally have a therapist I feel really good about.   I am still drained but hopeful and optomistic
    • Shay
      @MargieK I think you let it come organically and I hope you have built trust in your child to be able to talk openly about feeling. When the topic comes but be supportive if the topic doesn't come up perhaps when stories about transgender come up on tv or news or social media make sure you mention that you understand their issue and are empathetic and build confidence in your child you want to listen.
    • ElizabethStar
      Obviously, I can't tell you how to do it, it's different for everyone and you have to do what feels right.   I can tell you what I did. At work I started by, as silly as it sounds, wearing scrunchies in my hair instead of the regular ties. The color quickly evolved from black to more fem colors. While everyone was distracted by the pink scrunchie in my hair I changed over to flare-leg jeans. Then I started wearing different tops. I did a lot of misdirection over a year. There were a couple things said but I don't think anyone really knew what was happening until I "accidentally" outed myself to the owner. I had somewhere to go after work one day and changed into more suitable clothes before I left.   Outside of work happened a lot quicker. I have a friend that I would go shopping with so I would just dress how I felt. She would help with the little social ques that cis-women already know and I was oblivious to.   The thing is, I don't want to have to bring it up in a conversation and I don't see a reason to. There are people close to me that I just outright told. Other friends that approached  me with fear in there eyes wanting to ask but didn't know how. I voluntarily told them but I've never wanted to or had a reason to bring it up in a conversation.  
    • Shay
      @Heathick I am so happy you were able to tell your psych. That is a tremendous and exceedingly hard thing to do. It should get easier for you to talk about things and as time goes by it will get easier. 
    • KathyLauren
      I love it!  Well done, Heather! 
    • Emily michelle
      Congrats Robin! I’m on my 2nd treatment of laser on my face.
    • Petra Jane
      Oh yea, that's working now. Immediately got two spam requests!   One requesting money and the other pure spam!
    • Petra Jane
      That is so weird! Thank you @Rowan. for letting us know about this. I was wondering why there was not the usual influx of junk filling up my inbox of late! Somehow, the form that the contact page used has disappeared!   I've made a simply straightforward one to replace it and will see if I can figure out how to replace the multi-function form that allowed you to choose a subject which then asked some more specific questions depending on the subject. But for now, there is a contact us form back on.
    • Brianna1
      So I am about to come out of closet soon. Have wardrobe and makeup done fairly well. So my question is how do I start telling people I am transgender? M to f. I am 54 years old. Just working on voice now to be able to pass. But to break the ice how do I bring it up in conversation??
    • Robin.C
      Omergerd ... I've got an appointment for electrolysis. Happy dance. I just needed to tell someone 😁 She's super busy this time of year here what with Spring and Summer heading our way over here, so I have to wait 2 weeks; it will fly past I'm sure. Only facial hair to start with and see how I cope. Yippee   Oh and for those following along at home, the home IPL does stuff all for my facial hair but seems to be reducing the foot and hand hair. Becoming less of a Hobbit every day ... hee hee   🤗 Robin
  • Upcoming Events