• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT changes to the brain during transition.

Rami

I have experienced a number of wonderful body changes since starting HRT this past March. The one change I was not expecting was my perception of smell, my brains interpretation of an odor. Namely my sweaty feet odor has changed to a awful intolerable fowl rank dank stench which follows me everywhere I go. Oddly, I still smell the same to my  cis female wife, so I think it is how I smell to myself which has changed. Digging in deeper into this chicken or egg thought as to what has changed, the scent receptors in my nose or the interpretation of the electrical signals  by my brain or combination of the two?  My thoughts  now drift off in another entirely direction which in itself is another change and perhaps why the CIS male's perception of the female brain functionality as being scattered.  I am not in a panic, I have taken to bleaching my feet and to wearing Chanel #5 so I am able to stand the way I smell indicating that the cis male problem solving portion of my brain has not changed.

• Forum Moderator

I know my sense of smell is sharper. I've sniffed out cookies.

My personal odor is much reduced though. My cis spouse mentioned that I smell faintly of vanilla. Which she blamed on my deodorant until I pointed out that my deodorant is lavender scented.

My sweaty feet are still kind of gross, but it's confined to my vaguely musty socks and shoes. You wouldn't notice unless you were right on top of 'em. I absolutely do NOT like the way sweaty men smell though. That's just a special kind of gross.

According to my quick internet search, women get a better sense of smell because you end up with more neurons in your olfactory bulbs so brains over physical attributes. Cool. HRT made my brain better. ?

Well, aside from the lack of mental static thing.

Hugs!

Oh yeah, my sense of smell has ramped up so much. 

On 11/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jackie C. said:

I absolutely do NOT like the way sweaty men smell though. That's just a special kind of gross.

And they usually try to cover it up with Old Spice. I just wanna yack.