• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Future Of Medical Advancements For Us Transwoman?

Guest JoshuaJennifer

Guest JoshuaJennifer

I think this topic was brought up somewhere else, but I just wondered and thought 'hey, why don't I make a post about it, I don't have anything to do' :P

Look how fast medical technology is advancing; it may not be over-night fast, but there's no way to deny that it's evolving quicker than ever.

Who knows what treatment will be availible in 30 years, and just look at what is beginning to unearth itself even today (Stem Cells may be as controversial as anything, but there's no way to deny that the potential for them is amazing).

Imagine, say... a uterus translate somehow avaiblible for Transwoman. The ability to experience a period, to even go so far as to bear a child (and the GREAT controversy therein, well, we can't deny that heh), the idea... may be far off and daunting in terms of medical science, but look at how far we've come. Would you personally want a procedure like this? What else could be availible? Do you think it will ever be possible?

My thought for the day ;D

Guest Joanna Phipps
Exellent post! I agree what's happening in modern medician is truly awe inspiring, not sure about the periods though ;D

Most of us that are on this board right now may never live to see the day it happens but to have all of the right anatomical parts would be the end of transition since we would be women by even societies defininition. My worry is what would the cost of custom grown organs be since that would have to be added to the exhorbitant cost of GRS; would this create the unfortunate situation of classes of trans folk? Maybe the no-ops, then grs only, then the entire package, hopefully it wouldnt but humans being humans.... So while I would love to see it I fear what that it might fracture the sisterhood.

Guest ~Brenda~

I think too of the day when medical science can quickly and painlessly make our bodies they way we know they should be.

I also long for the day when Transgenderism is completely understood and accepted by society. We can be ourselves without fear.

HUGS

Brenda

Guest Stacey Nicole

I, for one, would love/hate experiencing a menstrual cycle...lol. I'd love it because it would mean that I could get pregnant and have children. It would truly define me as a woman. The cramps and bloating, I could live without, but I would take the good with the bad...lol. That's just a part of life. But the ability to create life inside my own body would be a miracle that I would be entirely grateful to have. Children are so precious. And even without that, I would simply enjoy life even more if my body could really physically and medically be that of a biological female. Until that day comes, I'll just be happy being a woman the best way I can. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cjnoble71

Wow JJ (hope you don't mind being called that, let me know) you are the first transperson to mention being able to have a uterus. I was thinking of posting a question about that. I know if it were available, I'd jump at it, but I didn't want to assume for everyone else. It definitely makes a liar of Germaine Greer (who for the most part I like, but she has some rather mean spirited views about our community.) I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes, at least not while we are young enough and healthy enough to bare children, but who knows. I know I would volunteer to be a guinea pig just to say I helped some poor transwoman in the future have babies.

And you are right, there are some exciting breakthroughs and not just with stem cells. They have been using viruses for gene therapy for sometime now. It would be slow going but I would imagine it would help for a more thorough transition.

Guest NatalieRene
Wow JJ (hope you don't mind being called that, let me know) you are the first transperson to mention being able to have a uterus. I was thinking of posting a question about that. I know if it were available, I'd jump at it, but I didn't want to assume for everyone else. It definitely makes a liar of Germaine Greer (who for the most part I like, but she has some rather mean spirited views about our community.) I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes, at least not while we are young enough and healthy enough to bare children, but who knows. I know I would volunteer to be a guinea pig just to say I helped some poor transwoman in the future have babies.

And you are right, there are some exciting breakthroughs and not just with stem cells. They have been using viruses for gene therapy for sometime now. It would be slow going but I would imagine it would help for a more thorough transition.

Yeah this is something my therapist and I where discussing when we got onto the subject of kids and family. The gist of it is I'm not comfortable with my factory equipment and have never put it to use because everything about it just feels wrong. I got all depressed and bemoaned the cruel fate which would let me be able to sire a child but no instinct to do so and what instinct I have I can't do because I have the wrong parts. I might as well be sterile.

The virus prospect sounds promising the way they take over cells and make them produce something totally different, but it would have to be very specialized to have the desired effect. Maybe nano machines might be a easier thing to control.

But yeah it would be a dream come true for me.

Guest Joanna Phipps

While I might like the idea of having all the right bits and being able to bear children, remember that any birth would have to be cesarian since the male pelvic bone lacks the flexibility to distort enough to allow a kid out the vaginal route.

I think this topic was brought up somewhere else, but I just wondered and thought 'hey, why don't I make a post about it, I don't have anything to do' :P

Look how fast medical technology is advancing; it may not be over-night fast, but there's no way to deny that it's evolving quicker than ever.

Who knows what treatment will be availible in 30 years, and just look at what is beginning to unearth itself even today (Stem Cells may be as controversial as anything, but there's no way to deny that the potential for them is amazing).

Imagine, say... a uterus translate somehow avaiblible for Transwoman. The ability to experience a period, to even go so far as to bear a child (and the GREAT controversy therein, well, we can't deny that heh), the idea... may be far off and daunting in terms of medical science, but look at how far we've come. Would you personally want a procedure like this? What else could be availible? Do you think it will ever be possible?

My thought for the day ;D

Both my girlfriends and guy friends and I have discussed this.

It would be killer to be able to exchange genitals and all the works with one of the guys and vise versa.That way I could experience all the things that natural women go through once monthly.

And the men could experience the morning wakeup call that they would love to have and we hate

with a passion.

Angie

Guest CharlieRose

I know that if they can figure out a way to make ectopic pregnancies safe, women without uteri like you girls could bear children. (Cesearian, like Joanne pointed out) But I don't know how close we are to that. Ectopic pregnancies, or pregnancies where the fetus is outside the womb, are currently VERY dangerous for both mother and baby. But it happens sometimes with cissexual women, so I imagine there's someone out there trying to figure out ways to deal with it, make it safe. And if they do, you'd have to be implanted with a child, I guess, but you would still be able to carry it.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

I'd love to be pregnant, but don't really want children, just pregnant! I don't know how I'd feel about menstruation.

It's possible to put the DNA from a sperm cell into an egg cell, and two genetically male partners could have a baby that way (I think egg DNA can be put in sperm, too, but I'm not sure).

There's also research going on in making breast cells from stem cells. Doctors could conjur up some new breast cells, inject them, and then the boobs would grow more over time since they have more cells to work with.

Guest Joanna Phipps
I'd love to be pregnant, but don't really want children, just pregnant! I don't know how I'd feel about menstruation.

It's possible to put the DNA from a sperm cell into an egg cell, and two genetically male partners could have a baby that way (I think egg DNA can be put in sperm, too, but I'm not sure).

There's also research going on in making breast cells from stem cells. Doctors could conjur up some new breast cells, inject them, and then the boobs would grow more over time since they have more cells to work with.

Sounds almost like you are talking about recombinant DNA (its still very much a minefield with what we don't know of the human genome). There have been some experiments with removing the nucleus of a cell and inserting other material, but never, yet, with the goal of reproduction. There are many things in human reproduction which we don't understand or barely understand parts of.

As to new breast material or any new material if the researchers could ever get clearance to use human stem cells then the sky is the limit as to what could be grown, however even if they got that clearance tomorrow we are still decades away from being able to grow human organs with any kind of regularity and reliability. The only organ we can grow right now is skin and that takes donor cells from the person.

While I might like the idea of having all the right bits and being able to bear children, remember that any birth would have to be cesarian since the male pelvic bone lacks the flexibility to distort enough to allow a kid out the vaginal route.

Very good point. Many would follow through with it anyway for their own personal gratification.

Guest JoshuaJennifer

What with the reshaping of the hips and everything if that had to happen, a full transplant of the Uterus and everything therein would probably be one of the most complex surgeries on the planet, even compared to SRS :mellow: and the risks would be... well, you can imagine x.x

Although I can't help being jealous of periods, which is made even more ironic by the fact that i KNOW I'd start moaning about how much it hurts and would hate it by the end of the first day <_< but when you have to listen to your female friends talking about how bad it is and they'd wish it would just stop and never had a period, a little part of me hurts inside, y'know? :mellow: plus I know the chance of me having kids is slim, I mean, i'm getting erm... 'something frozen' before I start HRT in a few months, just in case... I mean hey, I don't know who i'll end up with or what my future will be like, can't hurt, right?

But yeah the whole period jealousy thing kinda gets me in a weird state of sad calmness...

:mellow: ........

I have a MTF friend who has ovaries in addition to her male genetalia and she does have periods and has to use a tampon monthly---and gets all the other stuff along with having periods. I know her deepest desire is to get pregnant but like the rest of us she doesn't have a uterus. My sisterly advice to her is to keep trying! :D

ricka