• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Strange Wonderful Terrifying Experience

Guest Bethany

Guest Bethany

Once in a great while life can throw so much at us, that it is difficult to acknowledge there can be, an end to the tunnel, let alone allow us to see it. With so many forks in the road how can one anticipate the outcome of the choices we make? I had found myself finally able to see that indeed I did have a future. Now I'm beginning to see some brightness, and infact it is quite overwheming.

Dwelling on the negative is not my intent here but I will need to set the stage for the wonderous, by quickly(?) describing some painfull events. The reawakening to an inner self buried so deeply, that it would never be found, was brought about by the assistance of a rather angry individual weilding a tire iron, who sought his relief by beating my head reapedly. After I wrestled this instrument of hatred away, I remember wondering, Why couldnt I use the tire iron and retaliate, what was wrong with me? It is my belief this event may have resulted in a closed head injury. the resulting personality shift actually restricted access to my male personality contruct. You know a marriage is in trouble when the husband begins to act like a twelve year old girl. I loved my wife dearly and was devestated by not being able to be the one she needed. No way do I want to blame a physical injury on my problem, intuitively I know things would have manifested the same. later on in my life. Maybe I'm healing or maybe just out of my mind but I'm happy for all the pain and suffering that brings to me who and what I am now.

I traversed the advisable route of counceling at the masters level then onto the phd level, I still laugh at their advice, dress more! Getting my letters for hrt brought some much needed happiness. With some time I'd found some of the same kind of rejection from my family as I'd felt from my wife. The timing of my first coming out was bad, but as I can see now it was needed. The mistake I made was not giving myself enough time to heal from the pain and guilt I'd felt from my divorce before telling my parents. Lacking much in the way of social skill I didnt make any real friends at the support meetings at the gender center. The extended depressive episode should have been anticipated but wasnt. My transition was halted, life lost all value, Heck with the collective existance was futile... years went by and I was still curled up barely surviving on the money made while I could work. A rare lunch with an Aunt resulted in my father being told there was need to be concerned about me.

Going back on hormones seemed to really help, I began to feel better about myself and my life. Back to working fulltime, still sooo many bills to catch up on. after a few months of healing I began realizing I may still loose my family and job, I was considering moving out to Arizona for a new life. Contact with family increased a little. It was nice to hear those I cared about say how much better I looked, truly hope seemed more then just a concept. The phone call telling me that my father was in the hospital terrified me. My mother who is an ms invalid needed someone there to help care for her. I went over and helped out as much as I could, thankfully things come together sometimes when they need to. My Aunt and brother were worrying about long term care for my parents, after considering my uncertain future I mentioned I could move over there. My father, the man who selflessly cared for my mother, lifting her to her chair everytime she needed to go to the bathroom, out of bed in the morning and into bed at night, cooking and cleaning, to the point of exhaustion, is now home.

Yesterday I talked with my Dad and discussed my moving in. We talked about where I could get set up, I was worried about being able to have a little privacy when I needed. Selfishly I had to mention why privacy was important and made sure he understood my transition was back on. For the first time I felt the kind of acceptance from him that I never had before. Could it be true that I could be needed? Accepted? Wanted? I almost feel like screaming Stop It You Are Freaking Me Out! Instead of hating myself for my own self absortion, I want to give. To all you givers out there, I want to be more like you!

My appologies for such a huge text bomb. I feel better for writing it. Instead of deleting this I will post it, just in case someone can benefit from my mistakes.

I'm hoping others here will get to know me enough to discover that I'm not always so extreem or emotional, but actually quite lighthearted, no really!

Bethany

Guest matthew41

Bethany,

Welcome to the playground. You did the best you could do, hindsight shows us all alternatives we didn't choose and its hard not to dwell on them at times. I am happy that you are reconnecting with your family while there is still time for the relationship with them to heal. Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Matt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 81 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • Ashley0616
    • Nonexistent
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MossycupMolly
    Newest Member
    MossycupMolly

1. Carli05
      Carli05
    2. CharlotteD89
      CharlotteD89
      (35 years old)
    3. JamieL
      JamieL
    4. Jenny
      Jenny
      (71 years old)
    5. Katek
      Katek
    • Mirrabooka
      Hmm. Must have been that pesky 'International' word which made me assume that it was well known! I only became aware of it myself last year.   Brief history: May 17th is the day IDAHOBIT is acknowledged as it is the anniversary of when in 1990 the World Health Organization declassified homosexuality as a mental disorder. It was conceived in 2004 and first celebrated in 2005. It has gone on to include trans folk in 2009 and bi folk in 2015.   International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia - Wikipedia    
    • Maddee
    • Cheyenne skye
      A year and a half post op. I've noticed that once the urge to pee hits, I can only hold it for about 15 minutes or so until it gets to the point where I feel like I'm going to piss myself. I used to be able to hold it a lot longer (as I  remember it).  I know my urethra is a bit shorter now, but I don't think it is enough to account for this. Am I imagining it?
    • Roach
      What a great moment @Vidanjali! It's always so cool knowing people are reading you in a way you want to be seen.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      It's also networking.  Sometimes jobs come along because someone knows someone else - these older people might know someone.  "Hey, Ashley," someone might say,"My nephew is looking for love. He likes tall women. Whatcha think? Can he call you?"   Don't discount their ability to match make.  It is about networking.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      He is simply doing to get more votes. He held a Trump for trans during his first run and found out the majority of his voters were against us so he simply followed the crowd. 
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      The sad part is I'm the third oldest member. One is in their 60's and the other is past 70's. I'm even older than the president lol. It's a younger crowd that's for sure. I like to come here to feel young again lol. 
    • Sally Stone
      Ashley, I think searching for relationships are a lot like searching for jobs, they tend to come along when you aren't actually looking.  Perhaps you could step back from actively searching, at least for a little while, and instead, concentrate on just being out and about as yourself.  Like Mae and Abby have already mentioned, just keep up your volunteering, but don't focus on a need to find someone.  Maybe, just maybe, changing your tactics will result in someone finding you.    I do wish only the best for you, and I hope someone comes along who connects with you.
    • MaeBe
    • MaeBe
      First off, you can't regret being honest. You may not be changing the relationship, but it sounds like it still exists!   As for meeting people, what about through the volunteering you're doing? Maybe you can do more of that and meet people. Let some relationships grow and if they blossom into something more than friendship, great! If not, you've got more friends!
    • LittleSam
      Hi Giz, welcome. There's so many different ways to be trans and you're so welcome here. I wish you luck in achieving your goal of being more androgynous. There's forums in here that might suit you and your goals. I look forward to hearing more from you. I go by he/they pronouns at the mo.
    • Lydia_R
      Hello @JenniferB!  Was kind of in the same boat with this.  I spent massive amounts of energy over several decades to try to control my drinking and drug use.  Because I'm highly disciplined, I was ultimately successful.  I felt I could have gone on with controlled drinking for the rest of my life without problems, but it got to the point where I realized that it wasn't worth all the energy I was putting into it.  At that point I found surrender.  I got a sponsor, attended almost daily meetings for a year, worked the steps to the best of my ability, tried my best to socialize with people even though I am an introvert, I made a mess for myself at the meetings and felt a little rejected.  And then I continued on doing a little service work.   After a few months away from it, I'm in a good spot.  I accidentally ate one of my roommates edibles a couple months ago.  I have only smoked a half ounce of weed in the last 20 years.  After it kicked in, I realized that it was a marijuana high.  Then I noticed something miraculous.  I just told myself that there is nothing I can do about it and then got on with the business of the evening like I normally would.  It was like the high just ended right then and there.   Controlled drinking like I was doing was just very risky behavior and not worth the effort for me.  In any case, I'm very happy that I spent my life fighting it all instead of just giving into it.  I think that whatever you put into something, you eventually get back out.   Meetings are cool.  People generally get equal time to share.  Seeing people who are struggling reminds me of the way I was and why I want to remain sober.  And by being there, I have the potential of helping someone else.  The stuff I don't identify with I just do my best to not let bother me.  And if it gets bad there, I don't have to go back.  I can find another meeting or even just read the literature.  The literature helped me a lot.
    • Ladypcnj
      Happiness to me is when I reached a turning point in my life, that I stop worrying what others think about me, and start living my life. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.