• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out To A Teacher

Guest joeytheman16

Guest joeytheman16

Basically here's the deal. I am going to come out to my teacher at my college. But I am a chicken (and running low on phone minutes) so I am doing it through e-mail.

I have a basic rough draft thing in my head that I want some advice on. Let me know if I should change/edit anything.

Here goes... There is other stuff in the e-mail so it may seem like it just kinda starts in the middle of something.

I have one last favor to ask of you. Long story short, I have GID or Gender Identity Disorder. Basically meaning that I am a male stuck in a female body. I would greatly appreciate it, if at least during class you could refer to me as Joe or Joey instead of my birth name and use male pronouns. I understand as far as the "legal" work I would have to put down my birth name and gender. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask.

Thanks again for your help!

So there it is. I really would appreciate any input at all on this one. This is a HUMONGOUS step for me.

Joey

I think that looks like an excellent way to come out - short, and to the point. Your professor might not be interested in reading paragraphs of exposition (they're so busy!), but if they are, you've let them know that you are open to questions. A very masculine way to do it, I might add! :P

It looks like this is something you are ready to do, so charge up that nerve of yours, proofread one last time, and click that terrifying 'send' button. :)

Hoping it all goes well for you!

~Fwippy

Guest shotgun_sinner

I was totally wanting to do this... I think I might.

Thanks for posting.... It helps with the rest of us trying to come out! :P

Hope everything goes well, keep us updated!

~SS

• Admin

Sounds like an excellent approach. You get right to the point, clearly lay out your request,

and you're polite and not demanding. Hopefully, with all of his/her other student issues

going on, he/she will remember when the time comes.

Good luck.

Carolyn Marie

That is direct and to the point, might i add that before class starts to see if you could talk to him/her and if there are any questions or concerns that need to be addressed.

Paula

Guest *Elizabeth Anne*

WOW

'Male' is right! See, you really are a guy! I don't think I could do it that way... I want to open it and see it in another text style - bad eyes -

I have one last favor to ask of you. Long story short, I have GID or Gender Identity Disorder. Basically meaning that I am a male stuck in a female body. I would greatly appreciate it, if at least during class you could refer to me as Joe or Joey instead of my birth name and use male pronouns. I understand as far as the "legal" work I would have to put down my birth name and gender. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask.

Thanks again for your help!

Yep - okay.

My way would be:

May I ask you a GIANT favor? I have been diagnosed and I am in treatment for GID or Gender Identity Disorder. It was explained to me that I am a female in my mindset and but live in a male body. This is extremely distressive to me! My therapist has told me it would aid me in my treatment, if authortity figures and people I respect would refer to me as Elizabeth, and use the proper feminine pronouns. I understand legally you and I both will have to use my birth name and gender on official documents such as my grade reports? It would really be a big help if you could help me with this. :)

Yikes!

Lizzy

Guest joeytheman16

First off, thank you all that helped me. I did change the font for the e-mail!

Second, I really hope this inspires some others to do the same.

Lastly, WHEW!! I just hit the send button and am feeling pretty good. He is a really open minded guy and is really cool. Just going to go do the online work I have to do before I actually get to his class. (School before school??)

Thanks again.

Joey