• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hornet's Nest Of Trouble!

Guest Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

Oh my!

LOL!

Some of you actually think that I am going to attempt to DO something with it.....

Nope....no way...not in your wildest dreans.....

I'm serious about winter and taking care of it then......I hear that wasps are pretty slow in -10F degrees......LOL!

I will avoid mowing that area for the season , so if you drive by Donna Jean's house and see a weird patch of tall grass .....look up!

What did I ever do with that rocket launcher that I brought back from "Nam?????

DANG!

Huggs

Bee Free!

Donna Jean

Guest Tammy Maher

(Bee jokes got old :) and I love that song ;) )

I don't know which is worse.... Hornets in your yard or Rattlesnakes in your house?

(^ _^)/

Janelle

Dee Jay,

You said that you wouldn't do anything about it in your "Wildest Dreams", that song might stir them up - WASP wasn't really into Asia (Rock group references from the mid 80s)

For those too young - WASP was one of the Hair bands along with Poison and RATT - while Asia sor tof continued in the style of Emerson, Lake and Palmer but with shorter, catchier tunes for radio play (Carl Palmer was the drummer for both groups).

Love ya,

Sally

How to deal with bees:

02.jpg

12.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Kia Ora N,

:rolleyes: I deal a lot with bees and wasps and when it comes to bee swarms[which normally occur at the begining of spring when the fertile queens leave the main hive with a couple of thousand workers in search of a new home]...All one needs to do is wait till nightfall when the temprature drops take a cardboard box and place the box under the settled swarm and with a stick gently tap the swarm [of which by now 'docile' bees because of the cool temperature] and they will drop into the box[the queen would be in the centre of the resting swarm] once inside the box close the lid and take it to a bush area and open the lid and leave it...The swarm that's in your picture were only 'resting' on the bar of the swing set and would have left possibly within 48 hours -continuing on with their search for a new place to set up home...It's a shame that they were destroyed...

Word of Warning for anyone who is thinking of dealing with bee swarms IN A MORE HUMANE WAY...Wear some form of protective clothing and if you are allergic to their venom get someone who isn't to do it...and whatever you do DON'T attempt to deal with African killer bees by yourself...Unless one has a death wish that is...

Metta Jendar :)

Guest Tammy Maher
DON'T attempt to deal with African killer bees by yourself...Unless one has a death wish that is...

Seriously.... Back when I was in elementary school like 4th or 5th grade there was a big (i guess) breakout of them around my area. A few people died. African bees are not something mess with.

(^ _^)/

Janelle

Guest Donna Jean
I'd get rid of it for you, Dee Jay, if I was there.

Thanks, Baby.....I knew that I could count on you!

place the box under the settled swarm and with a stick gently tap the swarm

Jendar......

Girlfriend.....you are welcome to come tap on my bees any time you want!.....LOL

Tap away.....

And, Hey....

I'll bet that some people didn't know that wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and the like can sting you multiple times ! DANG!

But a honey bee can only sting you once and it dies...

It's stinger has a barb in it and pulls off part of the bee's body after the sting and it dies!

Tough life!

Huggs ...

Donna Jean

Kia Ora Janelle,

:rolleyes: Fortunatly here in Aotreaoa [NZ] we don't have that species, but sadly many bee colonies here are dying out because of a virus that seems to be spreading across the Islands[NZ is made up of Islands]...Hence why only as a last result would I destroy a bee colony...example= if they set up home in a place which causes a health hazard to humans and there was no way of physically removing the hive...

Guest Jean Davis
And, Hey....

I'll bet that some people didn't know that wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and the like can sting you multiple times ! DANG!

But a honey bee can only sting you once and it dies...

It's stinger has a barb in it and pulls off part of the bee's body after the sting and it dies!

Tough life!

You think that's bad. The poor male Preying Mantis gets his head eaten off by the female while mating.

Now that's a tough life.

Jean

Guest Tammy Maher
Kia Ora Janelle,

:rolleyes: Fortunatly here in Aotreaoa [NZ] we don't have that species, but sadly many bee colonies here are dying out because of a virus that seems to be spreading across the Islands[NZ is made up of Islands]...Hence why only as a last result would I destroy a bee colony...example= if they set up home in a place which causes a health hazard to humans and there was no way of physically removing the hive...

I'm not saying to kill them I just saying don't mess with them. It is very unfortunate that your bees are dying. I actually heard a stat there other day (can anyone verify for me true or false?) that bees around the world are dying due to the radio signals we are giving off with phones, TV, and internet stuff.

(^ _^)/

Janelle

Kia Ora Janelle,

:rolleyes: Bees use the polarised light and other means to help them navigate...

Some experts have reported on this…

Quote…Magnetic Fields

The Earth's magnetic field changes on a daily cycle. It is suspected that this cycle is used by bees to maintain their internal clock. Sensitivity to the magnetic cycle would be especially useful to bees who remain inside the hive and are unable to detect sunrise and sunset. It has been experimentally shown that subtle magnetic disturbances can disrupt the bee's time-keeping abilities...

So in the case of electrical devices disrupting the bees navigation system - in doing so it's possible they become confused when searching for their food source-and can't find their way back to the hive…

I'm facinated with urban entomology-the more one learns-the less one fears..

"Basic enotmology can be interesting and fun- B)

But finding out how insects live is not for everyone... :o

Some people have a phobia about things that creep and crawl- :unsure:

but if they took time out to study them-they would have no fear at all!" B)