• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

New To Cooking

Guest Stacey Nicole

Guest Stacey Nicole

Hey y'all :-)

I wasn't sure what category to put this under. Of course, being a woman now, I must take on chores and duties that I haven't had to before. Cooking is one of these. Since my wife and kids deserted my household in July, I've been living on a lot of frozen dinners and pizza! Well, I learned how to fry chicken the other night and tonight....I made my own pizza! It's so simple, it's crazy! All you need is large burrito size flour tortillas, a clove of garlic or garlic powder, one can of tomato paste, Italian seasoning (should find it in the spices aisle), shredded mozerella cheese, and whatever toppings you'd like....I used pepperoni. Lay out 1 or 2 tortillas, they make a thin crust. Put the tomato paste (I used a can of Hunt's) in a bowl and add the minced clove of garlic or sprinkle in the powder. Add a few sprinkles of the Italian seasoning. You may add salt and pepper or other spices as you wish. Mix it all up and spread the sauce over the tortillas, leaving about a half inch around the edge uncovered. Drop your cheese over the sauce...as much as you like. Then add your toppings over that. If you wish, you can add more cheese on top of that. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place your pizza on a cookie sheet or pizza pan and put in on the middle rack. I don't have an approximate time to cook, I just watched it until it was cooked to my liking. It was prolly about 10-15 mins. It really doesn't take very long. But y'all should try it! You can try different spices with the sauce as well. Sooo....I'll have more recipes to add as I go, but I really hope y'all enjoy this one!

Hugs and kisses :-)

Stacey

• Root Admin

Must admit, Pizza and the Pasta stuff just does not appeal! At all!

I was brought up that women did the cooking, I was hardly even allowed in the kitchen whilst growing up. Now my family has died, guess what, I found I can cook, and bake!

I can do a mean casserole, Sunday Lunch, meat that melts in your mouth, can whip up a nice sausage and mash, and can even make a very moorish (addictive) trifle and cream cake or sponge cake. I may not be adventurous with my cooking, but I can feed myself on a budget and still eat well.

Guest Sofiadragon

When I was growing up I made sure that I knew how to cook 'cause I knew that I wasn't going to have anyone to take care of me when I left the house & good thing I did

'cause I would have been in alot of trouble if I didn't, there are very few things that I can't cook now & days & it just takes me a few tries to get something that I haven't done before.

Guest AllisonD

I always looked forward to cooking with my mom. It was one of the allowed together activities that my dad didn't have gas over.

But you are missing a bet here. Take some cooking classes at your adult ed extension, or the junior college, or if you live in a metro area, at a real cooking school. Great way to meet people, it is a skill you can use to show off and impress when you need to, and it is one of the entry-level conversations you can have with any group of women you want to mingle with.

They are not hard to get into, you can use your chosen name, and in the end you have yet another credential and group of people that know you in your chosen gender.

Allison

Guest Anthelia

I wouldn't say that you should learn how to cook just because your a woman. I see lots of women that can burn water when trying to boil it. Though cooking is a wonderful skill for anyone to know. I have been cooking since I was around five and was raised by parents that are amazing cooks. If you are learning to cook I would recommend doing atleast one completely different recipe a week. Soon enough you can open the fridge and throw together an amazing dinner just from the basics. I personally love to cook, such a wonderfully relaxing thing to do atleast when im cooking for friends and family. Just wish I would have realized my love earlier and gone into culinary arts sooner than I did. Something I love is black bean soup it is very basic.

Cook some bacon, sautee onions and garlic in the fat.

Add in some beans, crushed tomatoes, stock, ketchup, some worcestershire sauce and a dark beer if you have some around.

Simmer till its a consistency you like and adjust seasonings.

Top with sour cream and serve.

Takes around 20-30 min simmering.

Guest Stacey Nicole

The way I grew up was a very traditional southern foundation. The men go to work and us women take care of the home. That's simply how I was raised. It doesn't mean that all women should live that way, but it's the way of life I know. I would grow bored very quickly of hanging around outside with all of the men as they talked of jobs and sports and cars and hunting. Most times I would find myself inside listening and talking with the women of our family. Unfortunately, I was always afraid to go any farther as to learn to cook (except grilling, the man thing) or sew or help decorate or whatever. My family was and is still Pentecostal. To cross lines like that wouldn't have been accepted kindly. So I'm starting to make up for it now. I'm out with my family and they are willing to accept me. They don't approve, mind you, but they will accept my decision to fulfill my life. My mom is giving me recipes to try out and even nudging toward hair care tips! So I'm very excited for my future, it really does look bright...at least where they are concerned. Thank you for the recipe, Anthelia. I'll have to try it out :-). My next recipe is going to be homemade cinnamon apple turnovers! Yummy...hehe! Thank you all for being you and being here. I really would be lost if not for everyone here.

Hugs and kisses :-)

Stacey

• Admin

Not sure how I missed this thread.

I started cooking for myself when I moved out of my parent's house. Learned almost everything from

cookbooks, as my mother wouldn't tolerate sharing her kitchen with me.

After getting married, I was satisfied to let my wife do most of the cooking, but still enjoyed doing the grilling

or broiling on the weekends. The last few years I've really come into my own in the kitchen, experimenting

with recipes from cookbooks or the Internet. I really enjoy the more complicated stuff now. The more

ingredients the better, including sauces and various techniques. Lamb osso bucco, stews, Italian dishes,

French dishes with sauces, braised meats, duck, you name it and I'll cook it. To see my wife and son

really dig in and enjoy my meals gives me such great satisfaction, too.

I have no idea if this interest in cooking is connected with Carolyn becoming a more dominant side

of my personality, or if its just a new hobby in my middle age. Whatever the cause, I know I

enjoy it, and I'm not the least interested in trying to figure this particular angle out. Its just

plain FUN! :D

Carolyn Marie

I always cooked - I helped my mother in the kitchen from as soon as I was old enough to carry a can from the pantry to the counter.

I always loved baking - I however have no interest in cleaning up after - I wish I could use disposable cookware!

How much for a good single use frying pan?

I therefore have learned the art of broiling - with the meat wrapped in aluminum foil - no mess!

There was a cooking forum around here somewhere and a lot of us posted recioes - as soon as I find where we put it I will be back with a link!

Love ya,

Sally

I taught myself how to cook when married.

My ex would get hurt or have surgery, and being the father of

two little girls,well,it fell on me to pickup the slack.Once we split,

I had to refind that ability.Not realising how much I had depended on

her in my life.Being on my own for six years now,and loving to cook,

I can make some amazing dishes.Love to have friends over for dinner

to show my culinary skills and for the joy of having others over to cook for.

Just another part of our journey,since most women have to cook daily,and

is a great skill to have.

Enjoy your journey,

Angie

i'm able to cook potatoes, spaghetti and canned ravioli, but that's where it ends :P

dad's the cook at home :) actually we've got lots of guys cooking in our family.

he was going to show me how to cook a normal dinner (normal as in: potatoes, vegetables and meat. a regular belgian meal)

but we never got passed the first :P

but i'd rather know how, before i'm done with my studies and move out of the house ^_^'. (though i don't think i have the talent for it, seeing how i messed up with the spaghetti :P my sis however inherited my dad's cooking ability :) )

Guest Tammy Maher

Did I hear someone needs help cooking???

I LOVE COOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My legendary Chicken pot pie.... So good, but maybe I should share some of this goodness with all you.... L)

Ok grab a box of bisquick. On there should be your starting recipe for this. But there are a few change I use. Instead of just peas and carrots I use the peas, carrots, corn, green beans, Lima bean mixture bag. I use 2 different cans of something condensed... 1 cream of chicken and one like cream of broccoli or mushroom. Uncondense the cans with milk. And before you bake it all, stir the crust into the filling. although it does separate a bit during baking It gets doughy throughout and a nice flaky crust on top. I made this so many times during (dare I say it) Boy Scout campouts that I have become legendary for my cooking and knot tying skills :P. I might give you the fruit cobbler recipe later.

(^ _^)/

Janelle

Guest Chloe the other one

If your trying to cook nice stuff go to Publix and get the simple meals menus. The lady who cooks in the store is the greatest and knows that I have a hard time following the simple directions so we just swap what works with what does not. The reicpes are easy enough that they are great for either ideas of to follow them directley.

On the cleaning up issue.. Living in Fl we have tons of yard sales and estate sales. They are cheap enough that I dont mind buying a new pot and pan set every week. I spend $20 a month on dishes, and yes it is worth it to me to not have to clean them.

Best of luck

Chloe

Guest Tammy Maher
i'm able to cook potatoes, spaghetti and canned ravioli, but that's where it ends :P

dad's the cook at home :) actually we've got lots of guys cooking in our family.

he was going to show me how to cook a normal dinner (normal as in: potatoes, vegetables and meat. a regular belgian meal)

but we never got passed the first :P

but i'd rather know how, before i'm done with my studies and move out of the house ^_^'. (though i don't think i have the talent for it, seeing how i messed up with the spaghetti :P my sis however inherited my dad's cooking ability :) )

Wait you and I are college students... there is one universal thing all college students I know, know how to cook...

RAMEN!

:D

Good luck... and that cobbler recipe should be up next week, so stay tuned ;)

(^ _^)/

Janelle

Guest Natalie92

I learned how to cook when I would go camping with my dad when I was younger.

I can make a decent amount of things, but I LOVE to make my sloppy omlets! :) You need 2-3 eggs (depending on how hungry you are) a couple handfuls of shredded cheese (I prefer Monterey Jack, but whatever's fine) some chopped onion, about 1/3 cup of hashbrowns (the only thing I actually even close to use real measurements), and if wanted any meat you can find. Put it in a greased frying pan on med-high heat, until it looks done, then I usually put some salsa or hot sauce on it. The secret to making them "sloppy" is to leave the eggs just a TINY bit liquidy (not too much or you could get sick).

It's quick, easy, and very tasty! :D

Guest Tammy Maher
I learned how to cook when I would go camping with my dad when I was younger.

I can make a decent amount of things, but I LOVE to make my sloppy omlets! :) You need 2-3 eggs (depending on how hungry you are) a couple handfuls of shredded cheese (I prefer Monterey Jack, but whatever's fine) some chopped onion, about 1/3 cup of hashbrowns (the only thing I actually even close to use real measurements), and if wanted any meat you can find. Put it in a greased frying pan on med-high heat, until it looks done, then I usually put some salsa or hot sauce on it. The secret to making them "sloppy" is to leave the eggs just a TINY bit liquidy (not too much or you could get sick).

It's quick, easy, and very tasty! :D

OMG!!!

You just made me think of like 10 more recipes I have.... I should make a cookbook...

The first time I had a "Mountain Man" breakfast.... soooooooooo good. Eggs, cheese, potato chunks

I just about lost this post just now due to a power outage... Google chrome saved ME!!!!!

^^/

Janelle

Guest cjnoble71

I've been cooking professionally for twenty years and what I am about to write may seem like blasphemy to my fellow food service pros out there: buy Cooking for Dummies. It is a brilliant book. It has a few recipes, but mainly it teaches some important do's and don't of puttering around the kitchen. For 17 years I thought you were always supposed to put oil in the water and then rinse pasta when you were done. Unless you are cooking large amounts that need to be stored after (which I still do as a cook) then do not do this, it rinses away the starches that hold your sauce to the pasta. The book is full of little hints like that.

Christine

Great topic!

I learned basic cooking skills by watching my Mom and asking a lot of questions. I loved to be in the kitchen with her. I became quite the master of the simple stuff.

When I met my wife and we moved in together, she tried to cook, but she's a really bad cook. How bad is she? She's so bad, the flys in the back yard took up a collection to get the screen door fixed! (I'll be here all week, folks).

I told her I'd gladly do all the cooking if she'd just clean up (which I hate). So, the deal was done 30 years ago and I'm still loving it. It's one time I can be the real woman in the kitchen.

I was given a copy of the 'Fanny Farmer' cookbook. It identifies each food item, meat, vegetable and so on and tells you a little about each one and then gives simple recipes for all of them.

Buy a digital probe thermometer and use it to cook so things get done. Beef and pork is safe at 160 degrees. Pork is tender and juicy at that temperature. Most pork is overcooked and much beef gets undercooked. Poultry white meat needs to be 170 deg. and dark has to go to 185 deg. Fish is done when it flakes and breaks apart. These simple tips have helped me fix fabulous meals that are always safe to eat and that's a big deal.

Happy cooking!

Oh, and girls---get away from the pizza and fat stuff. Girls don't eat that. Think more fresh veggies and salads. Got to watch your girlie figure, you know....

Guest Tammy Maher

Okies here is my favorite cobbler recipe.... I originally posted it back on Sally's birthday, but I'm also posting it here.

I would have listened to it louder but everyone here is now sleeping. I like my music loud.

Glad you had a great birthday.

I do have a present for you Sally.

This is so you and everyone can make their own cobbler.

Recipe

Please note that this is for baking in a dutch oven and not many people use that style on a regular basis... so here are some pointers to making it in a normal oven (Basically translated)

Your oven should be about 350*F - 375*F

Use frozen berries

About 3-4 hours before you want to make your cobbler take the berries out of the freezer and put them in a metal mixing bowl. Put the sugar on top and stir them around real nice. Let that sit on your counter for about the 3-4 hours before making your batter that way the berries will syrup up and stuff.

You want a greased baking dish. Probably a medium casserole dish would work.

When you start putting the batter into the baking dish put about half in, put your berries in then cover them with the rest of the batter. That why you have like a half cobbler/pie. (I should be saying fruit, but I love blueberry cobbler)

Bake for about 35 minutes. you want a nice even golden brown look to the top.

You will want some vanilla ice cream ready for after this cools for about 10 minutes your going to want to eat it.

Okies?

There is another one coming........ Let's try chili next.

^^/

OK, I'll give you one of my favorite recipes although some people here think that it is a bit spicy.

I buy frozen Tilapia fillets - it works with any of your favorite frozen fish.

SALLY'S SIZZILIN' STEAMING SOUTHWESTERN SEAFOOD

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with Pam

Place the tilapia in the center of the foil

I use fresh ground sea salt and black pepper

then cover the fish woth Chili powder - so it is all red

I add crushed red pepper

place 6 jalapeno slices on the fish

pull the sides of the foil up and roll them down to the fish - fold the ends up

place on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes

be careful unwrapping this because it is full of steam

You can add additional peppers if needed :D

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Tammy Maher
I add crushed red pepper

place 6 jalapeno slices on the fish

How close to the border do you live? Where I come from Jalapenos are mild. We need Habaneros.

Anyone else tried those? Burn your mouth off if you're not careful ^^.

The one I'm scared to try is a Bhut Jolokia.

^^/