• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Facial Laser Treatment Not Enough

Guest Sarah

soooo... I've been going to a place to remove my facial hair with a (ruby)laser for about one and a half year every 4 weeks. It's showing some results, the only place I can still see some facial hair is on the upper lip (and apparantly I'm the only one that notices it ^_^').

Now the problem is... the blonde hairs!!! You can't see them, but I still need to shave every morning because I can still feel it. It doesn't feel smooth anymore the next morning. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

So, now I'm planning to have electrolysis after I finish the laser treatment.

Maybe I should've started electrolysis in the first place.

So now I'm wondering what's the use of laser, if you're still left with the lighter hairs?

anyway I just wanted to rant :--) nothing serious ^^

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

Sarah,

I believe that after just a few sesions of electrolysis you will truly appreciate the laser.

You have gotten so much more cleared in much shorter sessions because of the nature of Elctro.

One hair at a time - insert the lead, zap the folicle and remove the hair, insert the lead, etc. fo each and every individual hair.

You will be glad that you already cleared the dark hairs.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest cjnoble71

I did some laser. It does leave the lighter hairs but gets a lot more of the others in one sitting. Electrolysis, if I were to stick with it, would have cost a lot more. Unfortunately I have not been able to do either for a year, but I've gotten adept enough with shaving AND applying my make up just right that I can go most of the day without problems. Still, I feel your pain Sarah. I thing the facial hair is one of the harder issues physically when it comes to passing.

Guest Joanna Phipps

For now im another who cant afford either laser or electro, but like you Christine I have become adept at makeup and shaving. I have noticed that the spiro is slowing the hair growth, on my legs its nearly stopped same on my arms and the rest of my body. Wish it would do that to the face but alas, its not to be. Maybe one day I will find me a job that pays enough for me to have twice a month treatments

Guest nymphblossom

I have been doing the laser thing (4 months/6 sessions). Pretty good results since I have light skin and dark hair (well, except for the gray :) Anyway, I am sure I will have the same problem and was wondering if any of you all have tried one of those home electrolysis kits for cleaning up the stragglers that laser didn't get?

Blossom

Guest Erica A
soooo... I've been going to a place to remove my facial hair with a (ruby)laser for about one and a half year every 4 weeks. It's showing some results, the only place I can still see some facial hair is on the upper lip (and apparantly I'm the only one that notices it ^_^').

Now the problem is... the blonde hairs!!! You can't see them, but I still need to shave every morning because I can still feel it. It doesn't feel smooth anymore the next morning. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

So, now I'm planning to have electrolysis after I finish the laser treatment.

Maybe I should've started electrolysis in the first place.

So now I'm wondering what's the use of laser, if you're still left with the lighter hairs?

anyway I just wanted to rant :--) nothing serious ^^

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

From one that has been waging the battle against my facial hair from some time now, may I offer my experiences and knowledge on facial hair removal.

The usefulness of laser to rid you of your darker facial hair is great, as you have already found out, but the laser will not touch the blond, or in my case, the gray and white ones. Depending on your age, its best to do the laser treatments first and then electrolysis to get rid of the ones that the laser would not remove. It will save you a lot of time, expense and pain. The only thing that the laser did for my gray hairs was to bleach them white and I do mean white!

Electrolysis is only about 50% successful - you go back and go back and go back....

Lizzy

Depending on your electrolysis and the equipment their using has a great deal to do with your success rate and the amount of regrowth that you'll experience. I have gone back to electrolysis almost 3 months ago, once a week for 2 hours a session. In this time she has cleared my face completely with only about a 20% regrowth rate. She is now maintaining the areas she has already cleared and is currently working on my neck area. My neck has experienced almost no regrowth in the areas that have already been cleared.

I have noticed a huge difference with my skin in the areas that have been cleared. It is so much smoother and so much more feminine than I could have ever imagined. A number of other people have mentioned to me that I look so much different...so much prettier, so much more feminine that I really feel that it has contributed greatly in my ability to "pass". No shaving technique and no type of cosmetics, regardless on how it is applied can ever duplicate the texture of hair free skin.

I have been doing the laser thing (4 months/6 sessions). Pretty good results since I have light skin and dark hair (well, except for the gray Anyway, I am sure I will have the same problem and was wondering if any of you all have tried one of those home electrolysis kits for cleaning up the stragglers that laser didn't get?

Blossom

Save your time and your money. Home electrolysis kits, which mostly consist of electric tweezers don't work. Hair does not conduct electricity therefore it will not destroy the hair follicle.

Just my 2 cents on facial hair removal.

Guest Kayliegh

I just started electrolysis and it has been wonderful! My girl recommended laser, too, as a way to get rid of my facial hair fast.

While grey hair won't work well with Laser, electrolysis will take care of those!

Kayleigh

Guest nymphblossom
Save your time and your money. Home electrolysis kits, which mostly consist of electric tweezers don't work. Hair does not conduct electricity therefore it will not destroy the hair follicle.

Yes, I have heard that the tweezer style are not very effective. I had some experience years ago with the probe type that insert directly into the hair folicle:

http://astore.amazon.com/hair01-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=5

I don't think it is something you would want to attempt for a large area like youe whole face or legs, but it seemed to work quite well for a few hairs here and there if you a doityourselfer.

Blossom

To date i have done 9 laser sessions and the dark hairs are gone but the white hairs remained, so in July i started electrolysis and to date have had 17 sessions of 30 or 60 minute in length, She uses a blend method, that is current and rf and she has cleared my face and hopefully by the end of next week my neck too.

Laser first has given me a great head start, i am being very aggressive in my electrolysis appointments as i want as much done before winter and before i officially go full time at the first of the year.

Lizzy there are 3 different kinds of Electrolysis methods Galvanic, Thermolysis and blend.

Blend is the combination of Galvanic and Thermolysis and is suppose to be the best, this is what i get.

If the person doing your electrolysis wants to have you coming back for many years all they need to do is turn the current down and take longer removing each hair, The woman who does mine is really fast, i have not counted how many hairs a minute since she is that fast.

It is best if you can get a recommendation from a support group, that is what i did.

Paula