• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgenderism In Games

Guest Tammy Maher

Guest Tammy Maher

Hi everyone...

I was playing my FFVII download for the PSP and remembered a scene a while ago about Cloud (one of the main characters doing a bit of cross dressing.)

Here is the best youtube I could find on a short realization notice. link

The spikey blonde is cloud and the brown-haired is Aeris. Please remember this was originally a PSOne game and there are horrible graphics, sound and no voices overs. I know that is something that we can usually consider standard in today's RPGs, but remember that they evolved from somewhere.

So has anyone else run into a different game with transgenderism in it??? I think Kingdom hearts had something like it at one point, but I don't remember. Maybe someone else can help there.

^^/

Guest Joanna Phipps

I remember when I was a kid, my older brother had some Dungeons & Dragons game books. Well, one day when I was reading through them, I came across something listed in it.. that I couldnt get out of my mind for a long time. Hehe, looking back on this, Im frankly not surprised that I spend so much of my youthful imagination on this particular tidbit of gamer history.

The funny thing is.. this very item which so many gamers have surely been furious about encountering would be something I would desire so greatly in my real life. lol

woe betide the PC who wished for wishes or worse yet wished someone dead. To me the last one was the height of crassness; as a DM i would invoke the nastiest thing i could think of a wisdom based save to mitigate not eliminate

I do believe Poison from Final Fight and Street Fighter is trans. Pretty sure that was unintentional, though, and only came about because certain audiences were objected to hitting women in a fighting game and Capcom declared her to be a "newhalf" instead.

Also Birdo.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a game I played when I was young that had a big transgender theme but you didn't find out about it until a far way into the game.

It was called Faria, it was for the NES. It had a FTM as the main character, sort of. The player starts as a warrior-girl with seemingly no background given. After some plot line (rescue the princess, get poisoning antidote, fix bridge to next town, usual old rpg fare plot conventions), you find out about a prophecy. A man from a village full of men is said to slay the evil wizard who happens to be the main villain of the game. You go and confront the wizard - and find out in the process that your main character was the man from the prophecy and, to try and counteract it, the wizard cast a spell to turn you into a woman. After slaying the wizard, the curse is broken and you change back into a man, and finish the rest of the game that way.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest p3ngu!n

fable2: once you beat the game and buy the castle, you get a quest after you sleep in it. and the reward is a sex changing potion. the easiest way to get the money for it, is to go do blacksmithing jobs for a little while and buy houses then rent them. once you have like 20 houses save the game. then disconnect from xbox live (remove ethernet cable) and set the time and date on your xbox like 5 years ago. then play fable and save it again. then up your system by as many years as you can, and open the game. keep on buying more houses and repeating this process (you can go multiple years)

Guest Donna Jean

Well, that sounds like cheating.....

But, if that's what it takes to get the sex changing potion, then gimme that controler!!

LOL!!!

HUGGGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest p3ngu!n

kinda. i did it that way and the traditional way of owning every business in the game and half the houses. its just much quicker. plus, i had a cross dressing man with level 1 strength (so he wasn't ginormous) the whole time and he looked kinda cute, so it was soo kawaii when he turned into a sexy girl...

it was a good game.

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone...

I was playing my FFVII download for the PSP and remembered a scene a while ago about Cloud (one of the main characters doing a bit of cross dressing.)

Here is the best youtube I could find on a short realization notice. link

The spikey blonde is cloud and the brown-haired is Aeris. Please remember this was originally a PSOne game and there are horrible graphics, sound and no voices overs. I know that is something that we can usually consider standard in today's RPGs, but remember that they evolved from somewhere.

So has anyone else run into a different game with transgenderism in it??? I think Kingdom hearts had something like it at one point, but I don't remember. Maybe someone else can help there.

^^/

My god, I forgot all about this part. Haven't played FF VII in years.

Guest childofwinter

Saints Row 2 might count. It's a sandbox game like Grand Theft Auto, and your character can wear either men's or women's clothes, and they can even go into a plastic surgeon type shop and have their features or even their body form changed. You can change almost every feature. The game itself revolves around a gang in a Midwestern American city called Stillwater, and I think you can play online via xbox live.

Guest Superrad

In Fable 2 you begin as a character, and I usually choose female. Throughout the game your appearance changes, and you often get bigger, bulkier, and more masculine. Finally, after completing the main storyline you've got the option to save up and buy the castle and you are given an odd mission. Your home is broken into and you must defend it. When you're done fighting you go through a secret passage that has a potion that can change you gender, if you choose to. If you leave the room it'll vanish, so you've gotta choose immediately...

It felt like an entire transition, and was probably the only reason I now choose female at the beginning of the game instead of male. >>

• 3 weeks later...

In the PS2 game Persona 4 Naoto Shirogane is a crossdresser. I really don't want to say FTM because she only wants to change sexes due to her career path being a detective. Naoto believes that since the whole detective field is male-dominated she would never fit in as a female.

Picture of Naoto

Guest ChloëC

ok, this goes WAY BACK. I mean I played the original Adventure Game/Colossal Cave and the original StarTrek game, and that Mouse destroying game all on an old Texas Instruments thermal writer typewriter with an acoustic phone coupler, talk about ancient - this was 1979-82, but in the 80's there was an early pseudo-graphic game called Leisure Suit Larry and about the 3rd or 4th in the series let you switch sexes. LSL was going into serious decline by that time because Nintendo and others were releasing all their classic games. You could switch but it wasn't terribly intrinsic to the adventures. But for the secret cross-dresser, it was something.

Chloë

ps. I got the code to one old text based game like Adventure and started modifying it for my own amusement including cross-dressing. I might still have that code buried somewhere.

Oh Bridget in the Guilty Gear games is amazing! You don't even realise that he is a boy at first, but when you play his story mode you find out that he is a boy despite the way he looks and fights. He is adorable in my oppinion, he was raised as a girl since it was bad luck to have twins of the same gender in the town where he was born and he even looks girly, so he fights to prove that he is a man and wears a dress and fights with a yo-yo and teddy bear. He is just awesome and adorable!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ivan Le Renard
Oh Bridget in the Guilty Gear games is amazing! You don't even realise that he is a boy at first, but when you play his story mode you find out that he is a boy despite the way he looks and fights. He is adorable in my oppinion, he was raised as a girl since it was bad luck to have twins of the same gender in the town where he was born and he even looks girly, so he fights to prove that he is a man and wears a dress and fights with a yo-yo and teddy bear. He is just awesome and adorable!

Me and my friends use the phrase 'Dropping a Bridget' whenever someone gets confused about my gender. It's hilarious, really. xD

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main...edABridgetOnHim

There needs to be more trans characters in video games. I can't think of any to post about. D:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alexander James

I remember there's like a cheat or something for the sims to give your character a sex change, but I'm not sure if it's true.... Also there's downloads to make drag queens for the Sims too. LOL it seems the sims games have that more then most games.... hmmmm Also some japanese Boy love games have cross dressers, but those are hard to find in english....

Oh and in Fallout 3 in the beginning of the game before you leave where you live to the outside world you can change your gender. It's only like.... 20 minutes in the game though...

hmmm that's all I remember for video games

• 2 months later...
Guest cael

i do rember that but its been sooo long scince i played ff7.... i beat the game and havent touched it scicne maybe i should go back and play again to check it out!!!

Guest 91curiouskitten

Well it aint pretty but Dead Rising, you can wear all kinds fo dresses, business suits and other things women, if you can find the right store

Guest Noventa
I think Kingdom hearts had something like it at one point, but I don't remember. Maybe someone else can help there.

^^/

You're thinking of 358/2 Days where Xion, the 14th member of Organization XIII who was a girl, was in fact Sora (the male main character of the first and second games). Well, in a way. Technically she was just a replica puppet--not the real Sora. But she did change back into him towards the end of the game.

I don't really think Cloud in FFVII counts as being transgendered. He only dressed up as a woman because he had to save his girlfriend from the Don's evil clutches without causing too much of a ruckus. If he had stormed the place, the Don's Shinra Soldier buddies would've been on him like a pack of rabid dogs on raw meat and Tifa would've been in even more peril. So really, it was both for comedy and stealth. That's how I see it, anyway.

Guest 91curiouskitten
You're thinking of 358/2 Days where Xion, the 14th member of Organization XIII who was a girl, was in fact Sora (the male main character of the first and second games). Well, in a way. Technically she was just a replica puppet--not the real Sora. But she did change back into him towards the end of the game.

I don't really think Cloud in FFVII counts as being transgendered. He only dressed up as a woman because he had to save his girlfriend from the Don's evil clutches without causing too much of a ruckus. If he had stormed the place, the Don's Shinra Soldier buddies would've been on him like a pack of rabid dogs on raw meat and Tifa would've been in even more peril. So really, it was both for comedy and stealth. That's how I see it, anyway.

Whose to say he didnt find he loved it and off the screen had a little fun?

• 4 months later...
Guest Cynthia Of Creation

Well in naruto. Naruto can do a jutsue were he turns into a chick. ALthough I think its a joke not that he is transgender, cloud not really transgender its not something he wanted to do but he did cuz, of his mission,

Poison is transgender character

Final Fight

Guest HaileyR

You can crossdress in fable 1 & 2 and Saint's Row 2, and the upcoming game Fallout: New Vegas has a hostile faction leader who is an MtF, although I find her a little offensive, being a 9 foot tall orange mutant with huge muscles wearing a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped sunglasses calling herself Tabitha

Guest Cynthia Of Creation

You can crossdress in fable 1 & 2 and Saint's Row 2, and the upcoming game Fallout: New Vegas has a hostile faction leader who is an MtF, although I find her a little offensive, being a 9 foot tall orange mutant with huge muscles wearing a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped sunglasses calling herself Tabitha

Although techniqually the character in Dead Rising 1 isnt transgender if you go into a womens clothing store you can make him wear a dress, or women's clothes. I tell you ant nothing better than beating a zombie down with a purse.

Guest CattalieChan

This isn't a very popular game, but there was a game that came out in 2008 or so called Away Shuffle Dungeon. It was an RPG for the DS, and one of the charachters in the town was either a cross dresser or a MtF. They played it out pretty well too, but made a little to many gay jokes about it. But no one was dearly offended by the clothing choices.