• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Help Needed Re: Premarin?

Guest gentleman1

Guest gentleman1

Hi ladies,

I have a question regarding premarin and maybe you can help me? Do any of you take it? Are there better hormones for MTFs to take? I am asking for a shy MTF friend of mine. She is having cramping in her hands where her fingers curl up and stay frozen. This is like a charlie horse in her hands. She also experiences this in the soles of her feet. I looked up side effects for premarin and did not find any symptoms like this. I told her to call her doctor first thing tomorrow morning. Have any of you experienced something like this? I really appreciate your help with this. I know that this doesn't replace sound medical advice but I told her I would ask for her. She does not have internet access or I would have recommended this site to her. I hope I am not unappropriate in asking this, forgive me please if I am. Thanks! -S.

Hi ladies,

I have a question regarding premarin and maybe you can help me? Do any of you take it? Are there better hormones for MTFs to take? I am asking for a shy MTF friend of mine. She is having cramping in her hands where her fingers curl up and stay frozen. This is like a charlie horse in her hands. She also experiences this in the soles of her feet. I looked up side effects for premarin and did not find any symptoms like this. I told her to call her doctor first thing tomorrow morning. Have any of you experienced something like this? I really appreciate your help with this. I know that this doesn't replace sound medical advice but I told her I would ask for her. She does not have internet access or I would have recommended this site to her. I hope I am not unappropriate in asking this, forgive me please if I am. Thanks! -S.

Estradiol Valerate(the bio identical equivilent of a natural womans estrogen) is the best for helping a woman make a smooth transition.It sounds like what your friend is experiencing is the side effects of the Spironolactone she is taking,if she is taking it.Spiro is a duiretic,so she has to hydrate thoroughly through out the day and making sure she watches her potassium intake.

Angie

Guest Joanna Phipps

I agree there angie, i make sure to drink 60 to 80 oz of water daily.. mind you spiro does other things with all that water but its better to stay hydrated

Guest AllisonD

I have taken Premarin for decades and never had that problem while I was on it, so I doubt that is it. I have recently switched to Estradiol and have gradually noticed some very minor differences. I think I prefer the Premarin and am considering switching back. I do now (past month) get that cramping, in my toes, at the end of a long (~120 minute) swim, and my personal trainer says it is insufficient potassium. My nutritionist agrees. Neither thinks it is estrogen, although neither is an endo so I take that opinion with a grain of salt.

But since I am not on Premarin (for 2 months now), I am sure it is not Premarin causing my cramping.

Allison

Guest Donna Jean

I have to agree with you angie.....

It sounds like what your friend is experiencing is the side effects of the Spironolactone she is taking,if she is taking it.Spiro is a duiretic,so she has to hydrate thoroughly through out the day and making sure she watches her potassium intake.

I personally have some cramping problems with Spiro...calves....OMG! That HURTS!

And my aversion to Premarin is mainly the collection method.....

Mares enter the collection barns in September and remain until March or April. Each mare is kept tethered in a narrow stall with a rubber cup positioned over her vulva to collect the urine flow. The cup is held in place by overhead supports and a partial body harness. The tether and collection apparatus greatly restrict movement, and the mare is unable to turn around or take more than a step or two in any direction. If the tether is too short, she may even be unable to lie down comfortably.

So, again, I agree with Angie...

Estradiol Valerate(the bio identical equivilent of a natural womans estrogen) is the best for helping a woman make a smooth transition.

From Wikipidia....

Estradiol Valerate is a natural bio-identical estrogen, made from plant sources that are micronized -- broken down into little pieces -- so it is easily absorbed and used by your body.

That is why I specifically asked my Dr. not to give me Premarin!

Spiro will cramp you up though!

Huggs

Donna Jean

If the cramps are a result of the Spiro's diuretic effect, causing low potassium, an easy remedy is to eat a banana every day---same thing happened to my mom while she was on diuretics a few years back and her doctor told her about eating the banana & it resolved the problem immediately.

Actually it is the opposite, the spiro does not cause a lack of potassium, it causes your body to retain it, thus eating a banana once a day would not be recommneded. Spiro leaches Calcium from your body and cause you to retain potassium. So when you hear someone say watch the intake they simply mean try and avoid eating foods that are loaded with it. Could make you slightly ill...:(

Excellent point Jennifer,and you are totally correct.

A woman on spiro should not eat a lot of yogurt or banana's or even fresh fruit.

But you should take a calcium suppliment and a daily multi vitamin without iron.

Angie

...Never in 12 yrs have I ever had a side effect of this type, the premarin I believe would NOT be the cause of this. However, I cannot reccomend a specific hormone for your friend but I switched from Premarin to progynova twice daily and had very good results with it. She would need to consult her endo or care physician for thier recommendations on any HRT she is consuming. Smart advice go back to doc and say look at me!!! LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!

No just kidding but she should make them aware of her condition if it is persists. I agree though it is highly likely the Spiro that is the culprit if indeed she is taking it, a good question would be, um, how long has your friend been on HRT? Even though I never went through anything like this even in the start of it, it does not mean that she would not. Everyones body is different. The chemistry may be slightly off for her in thime she will work it out and find the best cycle for her system.

Getting to know YOURSELF is apart of the transition that is for sure...best wishes and koodles to you for being a caring friend..:)

Sweety,

Progynova is the brand name,it is estradiol valerate in candy coated time release pill form.

I know,I used it for the first eight months.(wink)

Hugs,

Angie

Guest gentleman1

Thank you all very much! My friend does indeed take spiro and does not hydrate herself enough. I think you all have hit the nail on the head! I will still tell her to report her symptoms to her doctor to be on the safe side. I really appreciate all of your responses and help. I knew this forum was a great thing and this just confirms it all the more. I kindof feel like I found a great new extended family with lots of beautiful ladies in it and a great group of guys! I mean that! Thanks again. - S. :D

Guest Joanna Phipps
If the cramps are a result of the Spiro's diuretic effect, causing low potassium, an easy remedy is to eat a banana every day---same thing happened to my mom while she was on diuretics a few years back and her doctor told her about eating the banana & it resolved the problem immediately.

however spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic so I doubt its low potassium, sounds more like the electrolytes getting out of whack because of not enough liquids entering the system to balance or exceed what is being excreted.