• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do You Want Paid Commercial Advertising On This Site?

DO you want paid commercial advertising on this site?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. DO you want paid commercial advertising on this site?

• Yes but restricted to it's own forum
    • Yes anywhere on the site
    • Yes but no Transgender ripoff sites
    • NO

Thanks to your support and the hard work of the staff here our Google and Alexa site rankings have gone up. Since then we have recieved many paid advertising offers and link requests because of our high volume of users. Some sites want to advertise to take advantage of our higher forum and site ranking. This site is free and will always remain so. I certainly don't need the money but whoever succeeds me may need ad revenues to pay for the site expenses. That day is a long way off though.

It has long been a dream of mine to start a fund for transgendered folks in need. The transgendered unemployment rate is said to be 70%. From my daily mail I hear from TG's without housing, medical care, and food. As I write this I have a group of 5 moderators who are without electricity and will soon loose the rest of their utilities and heat. They have been turned down for employment for job after job soley based on their appearance as well as for just being TG. This is not an isolated incident as there are thousands of our brothers and sisters in the same boat. Some of my mail is just heartbreaking but unless I hit the lottery there is little I can do. Advertising revenues do offer a way out of this delmna and potentially could help our people.

However I do not want to loose the flavor of this support site either that has happened on some sites. Some have asked for a personal ad forum section but that would dramatically change the site and it's clientele viewing us as well as present user safety issues. I do not favor personal ads for that reason. Commercial ads are different as long as TG ripoff sites are not allowed. If I did it it would only be allowed in one specific forum so the choice to view would be up to you. Banners or ads in the rest of the forums would not be allowed even in conversation posts disguised as ads. TG support site links would likely still be free. The cash would either go direct to an appointed committee fund which I would not be a part of or to another TG specific charity.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to this proposal. Would it change the forums? You are all a part of this community so you all should have a say in this and a vote. I am on the fence right now and undecided so vote your way not mine. I would love to see your comments and suggestions as well as your reasons for your vote.

:)

Laura

If the money supported the community, and you have no need for it , then I see no problem.

It could help someone.

I certainly don't think it shouldn't be allowed to mention brands we use and products: that's just good consumer democracy.

But as far as paid ads is concerned, not only could it establish a solid way to keep the site going for the very long term, the money could be used to help someone. I think that is a good thing.

-Sarah

• Root Admin

It would certainly take a financial burden off you, Laura. As long as the sites are legitamite and not as you say, "TG Ripoffs", I would see no problem with it.

MaryEllen :)