• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Maternal Instincts

Guest cjnoble71

Guest cjnoble71

Hello All;

I have noticed a certain tendency for some of us, oh lets say those of us over 35, to take a somewhat maternal tone with the younger members. This is not an accusation, just an observation. I actually think it is a good thing, but I wonder how many of us are actually aware of it? It would be interesting to know who here actually considers themselves a sort of "mother hen." I know I am one, and my co-workers and friends tease me for it all the time. It actually makes me feel good to know they realize I worry about them. So who else is in that boat?

Christine

Guest Donna Jean

What is nice about this being a support site is the fact that some of us more "experienced" gals and guys can give the younger ones the benefit of our life trials...so hopefully that some of them don't make the same mistakes that we did....

Motherly? Me?

Yeah.....

Many of us Mods here have people that we take under our wing to help on a one on one basis...

There is that satisfaction that you have when some one like that does a complete turn around...makes you proud...

And there's no one here as motherly as "Momma Sally" ...She's the best we have!

It's so nice being around loving, compassionate, caring people!

'snif....

Donna Jean

Guest Joanna Phipps

Maybe I have been guilty of it, goading where needed, cajoling, quiet discussions in pm, the its okays, being that shoulder and occasionally ripping someone a new one. There are times where we all need that kind of thing, ive had my bad days when all i needed was a shoulder to cry on and someone to reassure me that it would get better.

I have always been aware of my nurturing emotional tendancies. I'd come to think of this as going along with always having been blessed with large female breasts---which I guess makes me an intersexed person. This plays out in the profession I chose and how I am naturally with people. Well I also feel protective of younger people and people who are vulnerable for whatever reason.., so like Mia maybe this is my male-protector side. And I can set limits and enforce them when the situation arrises without a problem, although at work people tell me i am too soft.

That said I have just been asked to be the adult co-facilitor for a new GSA (Gay/Straight Alliance) drop-in center opening up in my town.

ricka

Guest Kayliegh

I think it's normal for us older women to want to guide those who are younger. To me, and I'd imagine a number of you, we wished we had the resources that are available today when we we're growing up and lending the helping hand to those who are young TG's is something that we didn't have (and I wish I did!)

Our lives would have been so much easier had we had "mother hens" to guide us through our issue when we were younger.

Kayleigh

Guest AllisonD

It is why I am here. I think an old woman can be useful to younger people from time to time. Even if the younger person is 45 and just now going through puberty.

Allison

Guest Jean Davis

You must have been reading my posts.

Once or twice I put down " Mother Hen " before my name at the end.

And yes, I have been looking out for others all my life.

My mother just hates it and oftens asks when I'm going to take more care of myself.

I just reply that if I take care of others when I am in my time of need there will be more than enough people there for me.

LUV

Jean

Well, I was awarded the name Momma Sally by a younger member who I basically consider as my son and he calls me Momma Sally in our PM conversations.

It isn't intentional or anything that I tried to achieve - it just began after I had accepted my true nature and as Evan explained to me the mental transition began to take place.

I realized that my writing style shifted and I seemed to be able to express my feelings without apologizing for it.

But it isn't just here in the forums, I work in male mode and starting about a year ago when I was photographing shy children they no longer hid from me or my camera - at times I would be standing at the reception and feel a slight pull on my coat sleeve only to look down and see one of the really cute little shy girls looking up at me and smiling.

I am now working part time in a mall and when children go by in strollers or being carried by their parents, I say hello to the parents and wave to the children - they never turn away, they always smile and wave back.

I now know what it would have been like if I had only been born female.

Love ya,

Momma Sally

Guest brenda lee
Hello All;

I have noticed a certain tendency for some of us, oh lets say those of us over 35, to take a somewhat maternal tone with the younger members. This is not an accusation, just an observation. I actually think it is a good thing, but I wonder how many of us are actually aware of it? It would be interesting to know who here actually considers themselves a sort of "mother hen." I know I am one, and my co-workers and friends tease me for it all the time. It actually makes me feel good to know they realize I worry about them. So who else is in that boat?

Christine

Christine , Hi !Sweetie , I know that I am a mother hen to a lot of people , as a dad I am in my opionion a failure to my sons . LOL Brenda Lee

Hello All;

Christine

I know I do.I am a mother hen that looks out for her brood of chicks.And all you young chickee's

are included as a part of my brood.(cluck cluck cluck) Smiiiile.

Angie

"Maternal Instincts" and being naturally nurturing are traits which I value in myself. For whatever reason my mother didn't have much in the way of mother juices. And even on my job I am much more this way than the cyngen women I work with, for the most part. I pretty much see my role in life as a comforter. To me having mother instincts means being accepting, understanding and seeing the good and the promise in people when they can't see it in themselves.

I work in male mode (yes, I cross-dress for work) and you might find this surprising but I do a jail diversion program for mostly young men who have been in and out of the criminal justice system all their lives. For whatever reason they relate to me and I am the one they mostly run to when there is trouble. Mostly I am thought to be way too lenient and understanding but then these young men have only ever known the opposite. I have credibility with the criminal justice system because I do get results enough to make them happy.

ricka