• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Orchi?

Guest natasha79

Guest natasha79

First post, so I dont know if its in the right spot....

I went to the Dr. and my theripist today and when I asked about an Orchiectomy, they both said that I was a good candidate. Not only was I suprised how easily they answered the question I walked out of the Dr.'s office with a referal, but unfortunatley he said insurance wont pick it up. My theripist confirmed the insurance issue but also told me that I didnt need a letter of approval!!! Anyways, I am seriously considering this (though I wish I could take it even further). Can anyone that has had this done relate to the experience, and how it has affected you either positive or negative?????

Guest Robin Winter
First post, so I dont know if its in the right spot....

I went to the Dr. and my theripist today and when I asked about an Orchiectomy, they both said that I was a good candidate. Not only was I suprised how easily they answered the question I walked out of the Dr.'s office with a referal, but unfortunatley he said insurance wont pick it up. My theripist confirmed the insurance issue but also told me that I didnt need a letter of approval!!! Anyways, I am seriously considering this (though I wish I could take it even further). Can anyone that has had this done relate to the experience, and how it has affected you either positive or negative?????

That easy? Wow...I wonder how difficult it is in Canada. I haven't discussed that step with my GT yet. It's definitely something I'm looking forward to though. It's not the desired end result, of course, but it's still a big deal for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest natasha79

Ok, I went to the Dr. yesterday for a consultation on getting an orchi, and low and behold I do need to get two referrals as according to the Harry Benjeman rules. I really dont think that will be a problem as my theripist already said I was a good candidate (referal #1) and the Dr. he reffered me to is the wife of the Dr. who prescribes my h'mones (referal #2).

My question to any who have had the operation is. how has it affected you? Yes, I have talked with the Dr. and done as much research online as I can but hearing it directly from those who have experienced it is more releavent in my eyes. I believe I am more than ready for it as the "boys" have never appealed to me anyway, and at 45 with two healthy kids the "boys" are only producing the chemical I am trying to stop with H'mones. Even though I wish I could take it further, life commitments such as career etc.... will most likely prohibit further surgeries.

Just looking for your experiences.

Been there... Done that.... And not even a scar LOL.... AND I recommend it to anyone who is serious about Going all the way. I am four years POST ORCHIE... Absolutely no regrets....However.... If you Don't Have Kids.... And you are Planning Biological Kids some time in the future.... Bank some sperm while you still can.ASK me any Question on this topic and you will get a comprehensive warts and all answer

Regards Tiff.

Guest Charlene_Leona

I had my orchi done a little over a year ago and my insurance paid for it because I suffered from intense testicular pain for 26 years. But I was able to cut out androgen blockers and no longer have a detectable testosterone level, my features have really softened up significantly, I can wear clothes that I wouldn't of dared wearing before and my voice did change within two weeks of having it done. I think it was the best thing that I've had done so far because I didn't know how long it was going to be before SRS.

Charlene.... . How did an Orchie alter your Voice ? Seriously.... Any Change to your Voice was Psychosamatic...... Voice is Training and Practice.... Unless you were using your Gonads for a Larynx.....

Sorry.... The Best part about an Orchie is Stopping the Spirolactone.... O' and I can now eat Bananas again..... ( Something to do with Potassium)I had Crippling Leg Cramps for the 5 years I was on Spiro.... they Stopped after the orchie.... BUT the Voice is much the same....

SHOULD I be CLAIMING Warranty for no voice Modification ???

Guest Joanna Phipps

Once I get settled in Canada again I will be looking at that, but since I will have documented evidence that I will have been on hormones for nearly a year and on RLE for more than a year I might just wait the next year out and go for the full thing.

Guest natasha79

I have two kids (14 & 16), and had a vascectomy(sp) about 12 years ago so that is not a worry anymore. Getting off the spiro and reducing the amount of estrogen is most important at this point. I have never liked to take "medicines" if I could avoid it. Therefore the only things the "boys" are doing at this point is filling me with the unwanted "T".

From what I have read, and been told so far, is that the only I would consider a negative is the risk of osteoperosis considerations. After a year on 'mones I think it is time to consider this as an option, and if insurance would cover it I think it would already be scheduled.

Guest NatalieRene

The only thing to keep in mind is that some surgeons prefer when doing srs that a orchi not be done ahead of time. In extreme cases like if you are in pain from the organ doctors will work with you, but otherwise I get the impression they like having the raw materials and control of where the scars will be. From what my therapist had to say it would also be a waste of money if after the rle test you plan on getting srs then you essentially pay almost double what srs costs for essentially overlapping service. My therapist suggested just to wait the year of rle which will be starting for me around June give or take a month by not having the orchi surgery I can apply the money towards srs instead which it sounds like is only a few thousand more. I didn't get the impression that the doctor would give a discount for srs if they where the ones that did the orchi surgery. I guess what I'm saying is if you intend to get srs as badly as you may want to get rid of the growth between your legs just hold off a bit and get the whole shabang done at once. :D

TassieTiff, it's possible without the testosterone maybe Charlene's voice box shrunk in on itself a little bit. It only flaps of tissue that are stretched out to catch air and vibrates. Maybe they shriveled up from the lack of rebuilding the voice box larger as the old cells died off. Stranger things have happened I'm sure. We are talking about changing the chemical makeup of a human body and not everyone's receptors are exactly the same. Like cars (sorry for the bad metaphor)we have the same basic parts but we are all a little different inside.

Guest AllisonD

I had an orchi 9 years before I had SRS, mostly because I could get an orchi at 19, knew the boys were poisoning me, and was unaware of practical access to SRS at the time. I never was on Spiro.

I found the orchi had a WONDERFUL impact on my emotional state, as well as making the last of my electrolysis very easy. The fine hair on my arms disappeared. I never developed any male pattern baldness (I am 56) and my father was almost bald at 60. It made tucking all day, every day, very easy and not the least uncomfortable, which was important because I was living full time as female from 18 on. I started Premarin about a year after the orchi at the suggestion of my shrink at the time.

Stanley Biber did not seem to have any difficulty with my 9 year old orchi when he did my SRS. The orchi was $600. I was not asked for any letters. I have never seen a GT. I've been post-op for decades.

PM me if there are more questions.

Allison

Guest NatalieRene
I had an orchi 9 years before I had SRS, mostly because I could get an orchi at 19, knew the boys were poisoning me, and was unaware of practical access to SRS at the time. I never was on Spiro.

I found the orchi had a WONDERFUL impact on my emotional state, as well as making the last of my electrolysis very easy. The fine hair on my arms disappeared. I never developed any male pattern baldness (I am 56) and my father was almost bald at 60. It made tucking all day, every day, very easy and not the least uncomfortable, which was important because I was living full time as female from 18 on. I started Premarin about a year after the orchi at the suggestion of my shrink at the time.

Stanley Biber did not seem to have any difficulty with my 9 year old orchi when he did my SRS. The orchi was $600. I was not asked for any letters. I have never seen a GT. I've been post-op for decades.

PM me if there are more questions.

Allison

Wow it was that cheap?! My therapist made it sound a lot more expensive. Is it still that price?

Guest AllisonD
Wow it was that cheap?! My therapist made it sound a lot more expensive. Is it still that price?

Notice I said I was 19 at the time and I am now 56. It has been awhile. Regardless, I suggest you shop around. It is a really simple procedure, done outpatient right in his office. He injected about a pint of one of the 'caine anesthetics, slice, tie, tie, tie, tie, tie.... tie, snip, snip, sew. Done. Couldn't of taken 15 minutes of actual attention from him. I had to shave myself really close there beforehand, and was really tender for a couple of days afterwards, otherwise no prep and no aftereffects except to come back 10 days later to get sutures removed. They would probably glue it closed today. No visible scar that I could ever see. Considerable shrinkage all around by the time I had SRS tho.

Allison

• 2 weeks later...
Guest natasha79

I had my "consultation" appointment on Thursday, and all went well!!! My second letter is approved. The Dr. I saw said would highly reccommend it as a result of our conversation. Also, for me it was a reaffirmation(sp) of sorts for me considering the Dr. is a renown expert and author on gender issues. It took her less than 30 minutes to confirm my issues!!!

Now the expensive part, $4,400 for the procedure.