• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Unexpected Effects Of Hrt?

Guest Austen

Guest Austen

I love having this conversation with trans friends. We all know the recorded effects of HRT: softer skin, breast growth, impotence, etc. There are a few effects, however, that aren't usually listed in the "what happens to a trans person?" blurb one may usually find on the internet.

What's the most surprising/strangest/most unexpected things that happened when you started HRT?

For me, I'd have to say that the changes in my hands/feet were the most unexpected. My hands and feet used to be meaty and large; nowadays, they're skinnier and more, for lack of a better word, feminine. I was really afraid that I'd end up with man hands but HRT pretty much took care of that.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I underestimated just how emotional I'd become on estrogen.

Sure I expected to cry from time to time when I saw something that really touched me, but I underestimated HOW MUCH I would cry.

At the rate I went through them, Kleenex should have sent me a thank you card. lol!

Guest Donna Jean

Sure I expected to cry from time to time when I saw something that really touched me, but I underestimated HOW MUCH I would cry.

At the rate I went through them, Kleenex should have sent me a thank you card. lol!

OMG, Lizzie!

Me, too!

Geez, the waterworks come on at the most awkward times...

I even cried over the movie WALL.E about that little robot...DANG!

Driving down the interstate...song comes on the radio and it just hits me...there I am driving and blubbering!

The other day I got home from work...gave my wife a hugg and started crying...

She said "OMG! What's the matter?"

I said..."Nothing, why?"

I mean, nice results with the skin, breasts, hands, face and such....but, that crying....DANG!

HUGGS!

snif'''snif'

Donna Jean

Guest Saphiria

Do hormones effect your bone structure at all?

Evey 7 years it's a new you, because everything had been replaced. Would estrogen effect it?

Also, on hormones, will my shoulders and height stop growing taller and broader? Or is it something else that makes me tall?

Do hormones effect your bone structure at all?

Evey 7 years it's a new you, because everything had been replaced. Would estrogen effect it?

Also, on hormones, will my shoulders and height stop growing taller and broader? Or is it something else that makes me tall?

Hi Saphiria,

HRT has no effect on bone structure.That is family genetics.

It will stop the muscle from developing,cease the shoulders broadening.Height? I am not so sure of.

Hugs,

Angie

Guest Saphiria
Hi Saphiria,

HRT has no effect on bone structure.That is family genetics.

It will stop the muscle from developing,cease the shoulders broadening.Height? I am not so sure of.

Hugs,

Angie

While on questionings what they do, I've avoided as much protein and working out my whole life. I was afraid of having a masculine form by building muscles.

It's actually so successful, if I flex (I'm almost 17 now) my arms, any muscle there is covered by fat. (I'm skinny too! 5'11, at 165 pounds)

I hear hormones decrease muscle mass, would they effect my muscle mass too much?

Guest Robin Winter
OMG, Lizzie!

Me, too!

Geez, the waterworks come on at the most awkward times...

I even cried over the movie WALL.E about that little robot...DANG!

Driving down the interstate...song comes on the radio and it just hits me...there I am driving and blubbering!

The other day I got home from work...gave my wife a hugg and started crying...

She said "OMG! What's the matter?"

I said..."Nothing, why?"

I mean, nice results with the skin, breasts, hands, face and such....but, that crying....DANG!

HUGGS!

snif'''snif'

Donna Jean

:blush: Umm.....I'm not on hormones yet and I cried several times during Wall-E........I seem to cry alot with movies and books, not so much RL stuff. I dunno why.

Guest Robin Winter
While on questionings what they do, I've avoided as much protein and working out my whole life. I was afraid of having a masculine form by building muscles.

It's actually so successful, if I flex (I'm almost 17 now) my arms, any muscle there is covered by fat. (I'm skinny too! 5'11, at 165 pounds)

I hear hormones decrease muscle mass, would they effect my muscle mass too much?

My GT told me that HRT decreases your body strength about 30%, I'm not sure if that directly translates into loss of muscle mass or not.

Guest Donna Jean

Well....

Darcy and I built a room on the back of the house...big!

I've been laying the floor in it.....

Big 'ole 4x8 sheets of plywood..3/4" thick!

Went to Memphis and met Lizzy and Sally and spent a week!

Came back and Darcy had hired a couple of Amish guys to finish the floor!

She is such a sweetheart....

It was getting so as I could not move that plywood myself anymore...

The HRT was sapping all my strength!

So, HRT has taken all of my strength......I can't even hold up my motorcycle any more.....DANG!

But, it's alright.......you trade one thing for another!

And, I'm going the right direction!

LOVE....

Donna Jean

Guest ~Brenda~

I cry at the simplest of moments. Even the preview of the new movie that is soon to come out about a father and two boys bonding ( I have forgotton the name of the movie) makes me cry. When I drop my daughter off at her mothers house after a visitation with me.. I cry all the way home.

When I watched the movie "Nights in Rodanthe" I just cried and cried.

I am not on HRT, but I am very, very emotional. Emotional to the point where I have been talked to about my being too emotional by my boss at work. He has no idea.

Love

Brenda

Once on HRT,protein is very important to ladies in transition.

Protein is the building blocks that help build breast tissue and give curves.

It doesn't have to come from meat,it can come from shakes or bars,as long as you have

protein in your diet daily.

Hugs,

Angie

My GT told me that HRT decreases your body strength about 30%, I'm not sure if that directly translates into loss of muscle mass or not.

As you transition,your muscle starts to atrophy and melt away.

So yes,it does have a lot to do with loss of muscle mass.

Angie

Guest Charlene_Leona

I think when my sense of smell changed that was one of the most surprising except when my voice change 13 days after my orchi.

Wikipedia has some pretty extensive information on the effects of HRT, I think anyone who's considering HRT to give it a looksee.

MtF

FtM

Actually Shilo,

Wiki is not the best place to go for good sound information.

If you want good sources,go to transgendercare.com Or Transsexual Womens Resources by Dr Anne Laurence.Both are put out by physicians that specialize in transsexual care.The second site

is loaded with info from electrology to augmentation and SRS.

Angie

Guest Robin Winter

Normally I'd agree with you, given the fact that the wiki is user added information, but in this case, almost every piece of information cites the source in footnotes, so I'm more inclined to trust it.

But thanks for those sites, I'll peruse them when I have more time. They're most certainly more readable information, for the average Joe (or Joanne :P)

Guest Robin Winter

Actually, nevermind, you're right Ange, apparently those articles are listed as being "c" class, which is defined as "The article is substantial, but is still missing important content or contains a lot of irrelevant material. The article should have some references to reliable sources, but may still have significant issues or require substantial cleanup.

The article is better developed in style, structure and quality than Start-Class, but fails one or more of the criteria for B-Class. It may have some gaps or missing elements; need editing for clarity, balance or flow; or contain policy violations such as bias or original research. Articles on fictional topics are likely to be marked as C-Class if they are written from an in-universe perspective."

So yeah, go with Angie's Links :P

Guest Charlene_Leona
How did it effect your sense of smell?? I haven't heard anything about that.

Well it increased my sense of smell dramatically, I really notice a mans smell immediately. I think it has allot to do with pheromones and mating. But it has caused my taste's to change as well foods I couldn't handle before are much more appealing.

Guest Leigh T

For me, there were two unexpected effects from HRT.

1) Physically: After being on estradiol for over a year plus a bilateral orchiectomy, I noticed my penis was shrinking. That part was welcomed but when I experienced a rare erection, it was like 10lbs. of sausage being stuffed into a 5lb. casing. My God it hurt! That part was not welcomed.

2) Emotionally: Prior to my transition, I had never found a male as being attractive in the same way a man finds a woman attractive or vise-versa. Approximately two years into my transition (and three months after the start of my RLT), I started seeing some males as visually attractive. Along with this, as a male during my previous life (with a female gender), I still viewed men as 'we' not 'they.' Around the same time I started finding men attractive, I started seeing them as 'they', not 'we.' It actually felt like I crawled over an emotional fence.

For me, there were two unexpected effects from HRT.

1) Physically: After being on estradiol for over a year plus a bilateral orchiectomy, I noticed my penis was shrinking. That part was welcomed but when I experienced a rare erection, it was like 10lbs. of sausage being stuffed into a 5lb. casing. My God it hurt! That part was not welcomed.

2) Emotionally: Prior to my transition, I had never found a male as being attractive in the same way a man finds a woman attractive or vise-versa. Approximately two years into my transition (and three months after the start of my RLT), I started seeing some males as visually attractive. Along with this, as a male during my previous life (with a female gender), I still viewed men as 'we' not 'they.' Around the same time I started finding men attractive, I started seeing them as 'they', not 'we.' It actually felt like I crawled over an emotional fence.

Exactly how I feel about my attraction to the male gender Leigh.

And the way I went from we to they also.It was a steady progession.

Angie

Guest AshleyRF

I never really thought of them as "we" even prior to my transition. I always felt very uncomfortable in a group of "them" and since my transition, several of "them" that I use to hang around have commented that they could tell that I just never seemed to be comfortable around them and that me being around them seemed "forced".

Funny thing about it is. Now, I'm not uncomfortable around men. Then again, life in general just feels mostly comfortable now. Just got that one nagging thing to fix and I'm done. Next December won't come fast enough for me I'm afraid. :)

Guest Leigh T
I never really thought of them as "we" even prior to my transition. I always felt very uncomfortable in a group of "them" and since my transition, several of "them" that I use to hang around have commented that they could tell that I just never seemed to be comfortable around them and that me being around them seemed "forced".

Funny thing about it is. Now, I'm not uncomfortable around men. Then again, life in general just feels mostly comfortable now. Just got that one nagging thing to fix and I'm done. Next December won't come fast enough for me I'm afraid. :)

Hi Ashley,

Something in your explanation tells me you grew up with loving parents, especially not with a father hell-bent on making a 'man' out of you. Also, you are already living your life as it will always be. The only things that SRS will do basically is allow you to have sexual intercourse with a man, provide the qualification for finalizing legal documentation from 'M' to 'F', and provide you that peace of mind that comes from body-to-soul connect. Men can be quite nurturing when you are not sharing their sex classification. ;-)

Guest Joanna Phipps

This is one I can relate to, from years of trying to be macho. I dare not show emotions (was raised with men dont have them) and I dared not cry in front of my father. I became a master of bottling and keeping that dead face. Estrogen has changed that, not only do I cry so much more easily, but i can actually sit and talk with my wife and not think I have to fix all of her problems, I dont get frustrated and walk out when things dont go my way. There maybe others but emotionally speaking those are the big ones.