• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Picture Versus A Mirror

Guest AshleyRF

Guest AshleyRF

Why is it that I hate how I look in pictures, but if I look in a mirror, I don't think I look that bad. I really think I look like a different person in pictures than I see in the mirror every day. Which one is how I really look and how do we know? In the mirror, I don't think I look anything at all like the "thing" i use to be, pictures however are a different story. I think I still look just like that "thing" I use to be. It's so annoying.

I think I don't look the same in pictures unless its a really good camera. Bad cameras never pick up the proper colors or are clear enough to show the nice details I like that have changed in my face.

Why is it that I hate how I look in pictures, but if I look in a mirror, I don't think I look that bad. I really think I look like a different person in pictures than I see in the mirror every day. Which one is how I really look and how do we know? In the mirror, I don't think I look anything at all like the "thing" i use to be, pictures however are a different story. I think I still look just like that "thing" I use to be. It's so annoying.

Do you know what honey?

We are all so self critical,we can hardly see the difference at times.I know I still do.

The only thing I can tell you is if you are taking pictures of yourself,take a whoooole

lot.Like 40 or 50,no kidding.One of them will show the very pretty lady that you are.

In my pictures file,I have many that no one here will ever see.I look at them and say,

Is that really me??? Dang I look terrible lol. When I see me in a group photo,I only

look for my faults,hair,hand gesture,dress or weight.something that I just don't like.

While when others see that same picture,all they see is a girl.

We all should have a mirror that is very friendly.I currently have two.In them,with soft

lighting,I only see the lady I am so smoothly becoming.While trying to avoid the one that

makes me me wonder,if it is only my very active imagination. (smile)

Hugs Ash,

Angie

Bye the way Ashley,

My grand daughters name is Ashley,she is 18 years old,and I have always,

and I do mean always,called her Ash.Sorry if I am being too familiar with

your name,but it just come naturally to me.

Smile,

Angelique

Guest AshleyRF
Bye the way Ashley,

My grand daughters name is Ashley,she is 18 years old,and I have always,

and I do mean always,called her Ash.Sorry if I am being too familiar with

your name,but it just come naturally to me.

Smile,

Angelique

LOL.. everyone calls me Ash. :) I kinda like it actually.

Guest AshleyRF

I know what your talking about Ashley.

I hate pictures to be taken of me. I got to wonder if im insane and just see what I want in the mirror or what, cuz I hate what I look like in most photos. :(

That's exactly how I feel about it. Every morning when I'm looking in the mirror to put on my makeup or when I stand up and look in our full length mirror before I walk out the door, I see myself and I think "dang girl, you arn't a half bad looking woman", but then someone takes a picture of me and I see it and I think "how in the he11 do I not get read by everyone and their blind grandmother". It's so frustrating. I just want to know how other people see me.

Guest ChloëC

I have never ever liked any pictures taken of me, or even with me in the photo. I just don't look like I envision myself (of course, I'm not particularly wild about my mirror image either).

But (like angie suggests) there was one time back in college, through a mutual friend I became friends with a semi-professional amateur photographer. He was serious, but wasn't doing it as a profession, just a very expensive hobby. He took some pictures of me, portraits, and I was like, wow! This is truly and really me. My favorite shirt at the time, an appropriate backscreen, lighting. It just caught me right.

It took some coaxing but besides one print, I got the negative from him and had about 5 more prints made. And I promptly gave them all away, because when I showed one, a number of friends, girls, wanted one, including the daughter of the director of a play I was in who had a crush on me. Eventually I misplaced the negative <sigh>. So they're all gone.

You will notice in my gallery pictures, that I really am staying away from closeups. My body is ok, but too close and personal? Doesn't look at all how I want. I'm not yet into vaselined lenses, but just slightly blurry is fine with me.

I like what Kat wrote. When we're looking in a mirror, our eyes are moving, our body is moving in relation to what we're looking at, so it's not a single static image, it's a compilation (or mishmash really) of many images that feed all of our senses.

Chloë

That's exactly how I feel about it. Every morning when I'm looking in the mirror to put on my makeup or when I stand up and look in our full length mirror before I walk out the door, I see myself and I think "dang girl, you arn't a half bad looking woman", but then someone takes a picture of me and I see it and I think "how in the he11 do I not get read by everyone and their blind grandmother". It's so frustrating. I just want to know how other people see me.

Seems to me you shouldn't have any problem looking at your avatar.

All I see is a pretty girl.And that is the image you project to the public.

all they see is another woman.And that is what we are all striving to achieve.

Hugs,

Angie

Guest AshleyRF

Maybe I'm just far to hard on myself sometimes. I just never understood why pictures make me look so much different than mirrors.

I wonder if all these women that we think are so perfectly gorgeous, like Meghan Fox, Taylor Swift, and others feel the same way about pictures of themselves. Probably do. I think that's just part of being a woman.

Guest Anna_Banana

I feel the exact same way. I look great in the mirror. So I say to myself, "I should take a picture of that!" And I do. Then I cry. "Where'd the good-looking person go?"

-Anna

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Because while you're seeing your 'picture' self, people around you only see your 'mirror' self.

Follow me? You're seeing "ew gross yucky!" and people around you are seeing "dang girl you're not a half-bad looking woman".

Because while you're seeing your 'picture' self, people around you only see your 'mirror' self.

Follow me? You're seeing "ew gross yucky!" and people around you are seeing "dang girl you're not a half-bad looking woman".

That is what one of my good friends,a gg told me yesterday.

She has sent her friends to my FB account so they can have an idea what I look like when she

tells them about me.Dang she is not at all bad looking,they say.lol Lori has known me since I first came out six years ago.Remembers me saying who I am and where I would be going.Has seen the full long slow change.So when she gives me a compliment,I believe it.

Hugs,

Angie

Guest Elizabeth K

Well - I worked it out - I take pictures of me in the mirror - grin! A year ago I hated either one - the sight of me in the mirror (tain't me) or photos (OMG) - now I finally can see myself in the mirror - FINALLY - the real me. 52 years that darn mirror lied to me! LIED!

The first photos I had and coincidently posted here, were from a bunch I took when I first started transitioning - an big ole pile of photos (or should I say an electronic line up in the camera - digital of course) I am like Angie and others who commented here - 99% will NEVER be shown! Horrible! But I picked out the best one or two - not bad if I held my head a certain way, used the light from the side - whatever. But the others? Would chase away roaches in the dark!

Now - HRT has worked well for me. Most photos are okay if not Pulitler Prize for Photography Winners. The recent Memphis trip was the first time someone besides myself (Sally and Donna Jean) took pictures of me - well, when fully female. I'm getting there - didn't realize I slouched so - hiding my height I guess. S0 we always find faults. We are such critcal observers of ourselves, we transsexual, our own worst critics!

And the woman in the mirror? Yep - that's me! NICE

And aSH - if you look like your avatar - I LOVE you - so feminine - wait, I am soooo jealous! Grin.

Yes - looking at ourslves and not seeing the person we are, I think that is a trait of transsexualism. Gender dysphoria - we KNOW what we should look like, so 'who is that?" It seems to get better, I think.

Opinions by Lizzy - public domain

Guest Donna Jean

Ash......me, too.....

Know how you feel.....

I think I put off transiting for a long time because I thought I'd look stupid trying to look feminine...so I just muddled along...

Well, the bell rang really loud and I had no choice but to to transition, come hell or high water.......

But, you know what?

In pics or in the mirror I see a woman....not half bad either...

At least passable in society and that's all I ever wanted...

We're just that way......

Love

Donna Jean

Guest AshleyRF

yeah but what happens if just blending in isn't enough for me? I don't know why, but I have this very strong need to be pretty and if I'm not, then I'm not worthy of anyone's love or attention. Sounds kinda superficial I know, and maybe it is to some degree, but I only view myself that way, not others. Everyone else can look however and they are still worthy of being loved, but for some reason, I'm not. I know this makes me a bad person to feel this way....

yeah but what happens if just blending in isn't enough for me? I don't know why, but I have this very strong need to be pretty and if I'm not, then I'm not worthy of anyone's love or attention. Sounds kinda superficial I know, and maybe it is to some degree, but I only view myself that way, not others. Everyone else can look however and they are still worthy of being loved, but for some reason, I'm not. I know this makes me a bad person to feel this way....

Not At All,

There isn't a woman alive who doesn't want to be pretty.So on that point my dear,you are most

definently not alone.I have faults,oh yeah.Expression lines,bags under my eyes,a grand canyon

on my chin.It doesn't affect that I feel I am pretty,because in my eyes,I am.It's all a matter of

attitude my dear.You are quite pretty Ashley.You just haven't allowed yourself to see it yet.

And that is the truth Ms Ashley,Believe It.

Hugs Lady,

Angie